• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Hairdressers

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I used to trim mum's hair myself pre-lockdown as the care home had been without hairdresser visits for a couple of months, so I got the care staff to hand back my hairdressing scissors & thinning scissors about a month ago. I've trimmed my fringe and the back myself, plus also thinned it out a bit (I've got really thick hair) and I surprised myself as it doesn't look too bad. I get it coloured at the salon though so will be relieved to finally get the roots done :)

Hello MaNaAk I've got about 2 inches of roots showing so I think I'd need about another year of lockdown to get back to having mainly my natural colour back. Purple with grey roots looks a bit odd though so I don't think I'll be going back to my natural colour anytime soon!
Well done Louise!

My attempt at cutting my own hair when I was a teenager was very unsuccessful.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I havent coloured my hair for years so fortunately i dont have roots - my whole hair is salt and pepper!
Unfortunately it is getting really long - nearly down to my waist! I usually have it tied back into a clip, but its now so long and heavy that the clips keep falling out!
Dear Canary,

I'm the same but I usually tie my hair back in a plait as ponytails don't stay up.

MaNaAk

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
My hair is short so it looks a right mess now. I have various hairbands to keep it off my face. I was thinking of trying to get an appointment after they open, but I realised as Im in the sheilding group, going to the hairdresser isn't on the list of permitted guidance activities, so I will hold off until next month. The other option was shaving it all off. Or even shaving part of it off, so I could have a mohican!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'm waiting a bit longer eventhough my fringe is well past my eye-line. I remember seeing dad having his hair cut in the care home and him twirling around in the swivel chair when the hairdressers back was turned. She would say "Don't you like looking at yourself J"? I would turn him back towards the mirror and he would groan!

MaNaAk

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I cut about 2” off mine when it was hot again the other week. I asked OH if he could cut a straight line and he said No But he would do it with his hair clippers. I said no way. so I just went for it for it with the aid of a small mirror and the bathroom mirror. Fortunately turned out not too bad but I feel sorry for my hairdresser who will need to ‘sort’ it out at the end of July.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @Bikerbeth,

I'm sure you look good. How's everybody looking now that hairdressers will be opening? I hope you've all lovely long locks with natural hair colour! ;)

MaNaAk

nae sporran

Volunteer Host
Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My hairdresser opens tomorrow and I have booked an appointment for the end of the month. Having let it grow about 12 years ago I am tempted to cut it short again in case lockdown starts again and it gets right messy in the autumn.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My hairdresser opens tomorrow and I have booked an appointment for the end of the month. Having let it grow about 12 years ago I am tempted to cut it short again in case lockdown starts again and it gets right messy in the autumn.
Lovely long locks! ;)

MaNaAk

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I used to trim mum's hair myself pre-lockdown as the care home had been without hairdresser visits for a couple of months, so I got the care staff to hand back my hairdressing scissors & thinning scissors about a month ago. I've trimmed my fringe and the back myself, plus also thinned it out a bit (I've got really thick hair) and I surprised myself as it doesn't look too bad. I get it coloured at the salon though so will be relieved to finally get the roots done :)
I bought thinning scissors too - brilliant things. I never thought I'd be anywhere near able to do a DIY haircut, but needs must! Good luck tomorrow, please tell us how you get on :)

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I look like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

Those of you who use hair straighteners will know that when doing the sides/back there is only so far your arm will go, depending on the length. Mine is now about 3" past that so definitely needs shearing. But I go to a posh salon in Manchester city centre where they do all the ladies from Coronation St and so on. (I was sitting next to Gail the year before last!) So I expect getting an early appointment will be impossible. It also means a trip into town on the train and I'm reluctant to use public transport at the moment :(

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I look like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

Those of you who use hair straighteners will know that when doing the sides/back there is only so far your arm will go, depending on the length. Mine is now about 3" past that so definitely needs shearing. But I go to a posh salon in Manchester city centre where they do all the ladies from Coronation St and so on. (I was sitting next to Gail the year before last!) So I expect getting an early appointment will be impossible. It also means a trip into town on the train and I'm reluctant to use public transport at the moment :(
Don't be so hard on yourself!

MaNaAk

nae sporran

Volunteer Host
Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
After twelve years I'd like to know how long your hair is?

MaNaAk

PS: I bet @ Louise7 has lovely long locks.
Oh no, I do get it cut twice a year whether it needs it or not. 😄 It used to be a boring sensible length, but now varies from collar to somewhere around the shoulder blades.