• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Hairdressers

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
It will be a long time before I will to go to the hairdresser, my husband has been designated the job of trimming my hair when it needs to be cut and I have always tinted it myself.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
One of the carers in Mum's CH has stepped up and is washing and drying the resident's hair. She's making a very good job of it too.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I have a haircut booked - just a trim, and also one for dau. Not until Friday 17th July but I have one booked.

And also have put both son and OH on waiting list for barbers.

Our hairdressers posted on FB that they were taking names for barbers so I messaged, my stylist is the manger so she messaged back offering me an appointment as well :)

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I have a haircut booked - just a trim, and also one for dau. Not until Friday 17th July but I have one booked.

And also have put both son and OH on waiting list for barbers.

Our hairdressers posted on FB that they were taking names for barbers so I messaged, my stylist is the manger so she messaged back offering me an appointment as well :)
Well done!!
Very envious here but waiting to see if our hairdresser re opens!!

Louise7

Mar 25, 2016
I managed to get the very first appointment when my hairdresser reopens - 8am on Sat 4th July 🥳 :D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I only need a trim, my highlights blend well with my natural colour at this time of year - I normally skip highlights in the summer as the sun does it for me, and I normally let my hair grow longer in summer to tie back.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Barring anything drastic happening hairdressers in Scotland can operate again from July 15th. I took a selfie of me sitting on my balcony today and sent it to my family. Suffice to say I now have an appointment for 17th July! :eek: :eek:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Izzy,

I'm sure you look beautiful. Starting On A Journey doesn't really need the hairdressers either. 😁

MaNaAk

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I visit the hairdressers every 6 weeks for a cut and lilac/purple toner, it’s my treat though I also take mum to have her hair done too.
I haven’t been since February and now have lovely limp grey/blonde locks
My hairdresser got in touch today to ask if I wanted to make an appointment and I’m dithering.
I’ve not visited shops etc since lockdown to try and keep mum safe and don’t really want to undo all that time indoors.
I think I’ll provisionally book a date in August and see how things are.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I must admit I am a bit like that too, although we have started to go out. My hairdresser is not the cleanest I have been in and I am not sure if it will be clean enough for Covid times. So I am just waiting to check that they implement the Covid safety procedures.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My hairdressers isn't blow drying and you have to bring own drinks and reading material. Also no coats As they aren't putting them away.

The salon is all shiny surfaces and always sweep etc as soon as cut. Spotlessly clean in normal times so I expect them to be up to speed.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I've enjoyed seeing people with long locks and natural hair colour. Also it's good to see people not afraid to show off their roots.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello!

How does everyone feel about their long locks and natural hair colour now? Hopefully I will soon notice people with more natural eye brows!

MaNaAk

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I managed to get the very first appointment when my hairdresser reopens - 8am on Sat 4th July 🥳 :D
Wow, well done!
I've got an appointment for the 14th.
I always do my own colour, and I bought hairdressing scissors at the beginning of lockdown and my OH has given me a haircut, but I'm ready for a professional cut now. My salon has instituted additional safety measures - distancing, perspex screens, masks, extra cleaning. I am confident they have done everything necessary to make it as safe as possible.

Louise7

Mar 25, 2016
I always do my own colour, and I bought hairdressing scissors at the beginning of lockdown and my OH has given me a haircut, but I'm ready for a professional cut now. My salon has instituted additional safety measures - distancing, perspex screens, masks, extra cleaning. I am confident they have done everything necessary to make it as safe as possible.
I used to trim mum's hair myself pre-lockdown as the care home had been without hairdresser visits for a couple of months, so I got the care staff to hand back my hairdressing scissors & thinning scissors about a month ago. I've trimmed my fringe and the back myself, plus also thinned it out a bit (I've got really thick hair) and I surprised myself as it doesn't look too bad. I get it coloured at the salon though so will be relieved to finally get the roots done :)

How does everyone feel about their long locks and natural hair colour now? Hopefully I will soon notice people with more natural eye brows!
Hello MaNaAk I've got about 2 inches of roots showing so I think I'd need about another year of lockdown to get back to having mainly my natural colour back. Purple with grey roots looks a bit odd though so I don't think I'll be going back to my natural colour anytime soon!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I havent coloured my hair for years so fortunately i dont have roots - my whole hair is salt and pepper!
Unfortunately it is getting really long - nearly down to my waist! I usually have it tied back into a clip, but its now so long and heavy that the clips keep falling out!