• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Hairdressers

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That was lovely Izzy! I wish I could sing..
I have a voice like a foghorn and find it hard to believe anyone can sing if they put their minds to is and practice.

As a positive action to Lockdown, with a whole house to myself and no one to hear, I`m going to sing along to my music at some time every day and see if I can improve my voice.

Watch this space. You might be seeing me on Youtube in time. 😀 😀 😀

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My hair is beginning to really annoy me now.I have really thick and curly hair which is just below my neck.The roots are beginning to show .I normally have it streaked with brown and blonde colours.I have a little fringe which I always brush back as I cannot stand anything on my forehead..When I was a lot younger my hair looked like the cartoon character Crystal tips from Alistair and Crystaltips....Not so thick now but still curly...I have shaved my hair twice for charity .If the lockdown carries on to long it might happen again.Feels very free when you are bald😄

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I need a trip to the hairdresser, I have had my hair short for a few years now but I am starting to sport a pair of ear muffs at the moment and the back is bugging me because it won't lay flat and keeps sticking out.

I did trim my fringe though and that looks okay.

I am the same and hate the way it just sticks out at odd angles at the back.
I think by the end of this 3weeks I will just get it into a pony tail again. Fortunately I have a bottle in the bathroom to redo the roots in the very near future.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
20978A24-A7EA-4C19-96C8-178F97FF0DE0.jpeg

I have a voice like a foghorn and find it hard to believe anyone can sing if they put their minds to is and practice.

As a positive action to Lockdown, with a whole house to myself and no one to hear, I`m going to sing along to my music at some time every day and see if I can improve my voice.

Watch this space. You might be seeing me on Youtube in time. 😀 😀 😀
😂😂😂

I’ve taken to walking for my allotted time with earphones on. It has also been very windy here for the last week or so. The result is an interesting hairstyle when I return. Yesterday I was listening to a playlist called Summer of Love. Needless to say I was singing very loud along with all of the tracks.. I did get some odd looks from the odd runner who passed me by. 😂

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Like the photo, Izzy. My hair is short, but in common with others, sticking out all over!
Mine is short too. The original idea was that it should look like a Jamie Lee Curtis Cut. Needless to say it is nothing like that now - if it ever was! Here is Jamie Lee - no photo of me!😱😱😱

6572A5C4-24AB-4B75-9B84-728900C896F4.jpeg

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
View attachment 62350

😂😂😂

I’ve taken to walking for my allotted time with earphones on. It has also been very windy here for the last week or so. The result is an interesting hairstyle when I return. Yesterday I was listening to a playlist called Summer of Love. Needless to say I was singing very loud along with all of the tracks.. I did get some odd looks from the odd runner who passed me by. 😂
😂😂😂

I’m aiming for Goldie Hawn with my hair style although I definitely look more like cousin It after a walk..😩

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve shared that photo with everyone @Izzy.

My Tai Chi teacher has waist length grey hair. She does nothing except wash it. Sometimes when I`m doing Tai Chi I get a fit of the giggles when I have a visual image of a class of clones.

I`ve found my rollers. I haven`t used them for years.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I`ve found my rollers. I haven`t used them for years.
When I was in college I had long straight hair - most inappropriate as my hair is far too fine to be long. Prior to that I had shoulder length hair and always wanted to have ’flick ups’. I bought a set of Carmen rollers - a disaster! I hated them!

8058FA1A-0643-46D4-90AB-A1E42FDFD37F.jpeg

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
On one of the many 'life after lockdown' programmes currently on TV the owner of two hairdressing salons explained how he was intending to reopen.
  • Remove half the stations.
  • Introduce stricter sanitising.
  • Use disposable towels, gowns, and capes.
  • Dramatically extend opening hours including weekend working so individual staff work same hours.
It's going to be a different world until a reliable vaccine is developed and deployed.
That sounds very sensible. Although switching to disposable towels and gowns would be unnecessary and wasteful, they just need laundering after each use which happens already. Even scrubs in hospital are laundered and reused.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
View attachment 62350

😂😂😂

Dear Izzy,

This picture makes me think of Dougal from the Magic Roundabout standing on his hindlegs!

MaNaAk

Canadian Joanne

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Loved the video @Izzy. I too have no singing talent. When I do sing, OH puts his hands over his ears and says it hurts. To punish him, I sing in the car when we're on a motorway with no exit in sight.

I hacked my own fringe a couple of weeks ago. I normally would have had my hair cut just after our lockdown. It's not too bad. Much more scary was chopping my own toenails - I hadn't done that for at least a decade. I was getting to the point I could have perched on a branch. I miss my hairdresser but I miss my nail woman even more.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I do love singing. I’m still a member of the memories choir Bill and I went to. Our time singing together was so special. I’m now the secretary of the choir and general Volunteer. I’m missing our Friday sessions and all of our lovely members. Our summer concert was to be in August. Such a shame it won’t happen now.

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
Between wearing a mask with ties, putting my hood up after a windy start lining up outside in 0 degree weather for an hour at Costco and TBH leaving the bulk of my hair in a braid for a couple of days I ended up having to pull a huge rat's tail out of the back of my hair just like when my daughter had long hair when she was little! She turns 34 tomorrow so it's been a while! This time I was the one doing the squealing lol!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I do love singing. I’m still a member of the memories choir Bill and I went to. Our time singing together was so special. I’m now the secretary of the choir and general Volunteer. I’m missing our Friday sessions and all of our lovely members. Our summer concert was to be in August. Such a shame it won’t happen now.
Our orchestra concerts been postponed as well otherwise I would have been in a rehearsal tonight.

MaNaAk

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m concerned about our most vulnerable members. I’m sure they’re wondering why there’s no choir as it’s the highlight of the week for many of them. So far we’ve had no news of any members being ill but a former member is very ill in his care home.

On a lighter note! Bill used to talk about a character called Alfalfa Switzer - before my time of course. Having just looked in the mirror I think I have a lot in common with him. Mind you his hair is nearer than mine - it’s just that ‘sticky-up’ bit!

BCC63AC2-FD84-4DD9-AA28-D64D204657A3.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jm65