Hairdressers

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My last trim was March 4th.

I never coloured my hair and my style has been the same all my life so all I have to contend with is growth. I`ve bought some head bands to keep it in check and will tie it back if it becomes too long.
I bet you have lovely hair GrannieG.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My hair has been highlighted - but in summer I always skip a visit as the sun does the job. However the length is too long already - somehow I missed a visit in late Feb, and had kept it a bit longer when it was last cut last year.

It was in local news last night that Peter Collinge, who founded the Collinge hairdressing dynasty died - he had recovered from Covid and gone home, dying in his sleep. He was 92.
Dear Jugglingmum,

That's very sad but at least his death was peaceful.

MaNaAk

Diane33

Mar 26, 2020
Hi love reading all the hairdressers stories. I care for my mum and take her usually to the hairdressers once a week. Obviously not been able to do this so I have been suggesting she washes it in the shower once a week and then I have been drying it and trying to style it. She is not impressed and looks in the mirror after and asks me to phone the hairdressers 😦so it’s a work in progress I have now purchased some styling products for this morning’s session. She keeps forgetting she can’t go to the hairdressers. I have put her a big colourful visual poster up in her part off the house to keep reminding her why so the situation is getting slightly better. This might seem a small issue to some people but for mum it’s been massive a long with other parts off her routine that have changed. We just have to find ways to reassure. Lucky mum can still read so I get through loads off note paper each day. 👍🏻

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I wonder what is happening about haircuts my mother's CH. They have regular hairdressing sessions, but I realise that I don't actually know if it's done by a separate professional, or if it's one of the regular staff. Anyway I guess someone will have to wield clippers or scissors soon!

I had my hair cut a few days before lockdown so it still looks okay, but it'll need cutting soon. I bought clippers and hairdressing scissors in preparation. Shame I don't have the skills to go with them!

@MaNaAk - I noticed Ian's hair really needed cutting last week!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
On one of the many 'life after lockdown' programmes currently on TV the owner of two hairdressing salons explained how he was intending to reopen.
  • Remove half the stations.
  • Introduce stricter sanitising.
  • Use disposable towels, gowns, and capes.
  • Dramatically extend opening hours including weekend working so individual staff work same hours.
It's going to be a different world until a reliable vaccine is developed and deployed.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I had an appt on the day this all started. I normally keep my hair short, so you can imagine what it’s like now. I haven’t combed my hair so many times in one day ever! ( It’s been quite windy round here recently, including today!).

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi love reading all the hairdressers stories. I care for my mum and take her usually to the hairdressers once a week. Obviously not been able to do this so I have been suggesting she washes it in the shower once a week and then I have been drying it and trying to style it. She is not impressed and looks in the mirror after and asks me to phone the hairdressers 😦so it’s a work in progress I have now purchased some styling products for this morning’s session. She keeps forgetting she can’t go to the hairdressers. I have put her a big colourful visual poster up in her part off the house to keep reminding her why so the situation is getting slightly better. This might seem a small issue to some people but for mum it’s been massive a long with other parts off her routine that have changed. We just have to find ways to reassure. Lucky mum can still read so I get through loads off note paper each day. 👍🏻
Dear Diane,

I never seemed to have a problem with dad's hair but it was a job getting him to shave. We have to think of many ingenious things for our PWDs and like you I got through loads of notepaper when I was caring for dad.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I wish @MaNaAk :)

My mother and sister had/have wonderful thick hair. Mine is like my grandmother`s thin and whispy.
Dear GrannieG,

I have thick hair but I never went back to a certain hairdresser after I asked for a bob style and came out looking like a friar. Another time I looked like I'd had a cut with a bucket on my head!

You probably really do have beautiful hair.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
On one of the many 'life after lockdown' programmes currently on TV the owner of two hairdressing salons explained how he was intending to reopen.
  • Remove half the stations.
  • Introduce stricter sanitising.
  • Use disposable towels, gowns, and capes.
  • Dramatically extend opening hours including weekend working so individual staff work same hours.
It's going to be a different world until a reliable vaccine is developed and deployed.
Dear Nitram,

If that was one of the hairdressers in this area they would have to work all night with the hours they work. Have these salon owners thought that once things start to get back to normal they could be over-run. On the other hand I suppose it would make sense with all the extra business.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I had an appt on the day this all started. I normally keep my hair short, so you can imagine what it’s like now. I haven’t combed my hair so many times in one day ever! ( It’s been quite windy round here recently, including today!).
Dear Spamar,

Are you able to put your hair back in a ponytail yet?

MaNaAk

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Well I am No.1 least favourite person here at home.
My husband has a head of very thick hair still - and I mean VERY thick. It grows fast and he usually has it cut every 3 weeks. He looks like a shaggy lion at the moment!
I've resigned myself to looking a mess until my hairdresser re opens - currently my hair is mostly in a twist on top of my head. I came drastically close to doing that thing where you pull it into a very high ponytail and then cut it off at the elastic - but chickened out. But OH is obsessed about his hair and hates it being so long and bushy at the mo.
Anyways, him indoors had a deal with his hairdresser that the hairdresser would ring him and book him in as soon as he got the green light to open the salon. This afternoon, hairdresser phones to say he is using the lockdown time to redecorate the salon and as he would be there, he could cut OH's hair as a favour. I wondered why OH was looking so chipper, and having overheard a bit of the conversation, I very sternly said 'You did refuse, didn't you?'
Hmmmm .... I felt like I was chastising a small child, and made OH cancel the arrangement immediately - Rules are Rules! The atmosphere here is a little chilly this evening, but at least my conscience is clear!!

Petunia59

Oct 11, 2019
I was due a haircut on the first day of lockdown but I think they closed before when the schools closed as most of the staff and the owners have young children. I'm now at the stage of wondering whether to snip at my fringe or just to go with the flow and let it grow.
My Mum's chiropodist was due to come this Thursday. This is now cancelled so don't know how I'm going to deal with that issue! I have enough trouble with my own!!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
If the hosts of Have I Got News For You think that we could go back to the 1970s what year would everyone like to go back to? I think we could go back to say 1976 with the forthcoming trends!

MaNaAk

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi @MaNaAk,
Not yet! No where near. It was very short, now it’s just short and untidy!
My hair is ‘short’, never grows any further than my shoulder, whatever the length of time it’s been growing.
Did you know it’s genetic thing? Either hair will grow really well, or it won’t. I was very jealous of one of my step granddaus who grew hers down to her hips!

My husband had a full, but short, beard and I cut that for him for several years. He seemed happy enough with it!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Spamar,

If this lockdown continues my hair should be down to my hips. Also when I saw dad having his hair cut in the care home he was very busy trying to go for a twirl in the swivel when the hairdressers back was turned. When I got up to turn him back to the mirror he just groaned!

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I need a trip to the hairdresser, I have had my hair short for a few years now but I am starting to sport a pair of ear muffs at the moment and the back is bugging me because it won't lay flat and keeps sticking out.

I did trim my fringe though and that looks okay.

It's blonde now which I prefer to white (I am not old enough for white hair but genetics say I am) so ice blonde it will be and it takes ages for the roots to show so it's not too bad.

I feel like dying it pink or something whacky and who would know if I did.

I cut dads hair a couple of times but it was a bit awkward because he had a comb over and he thought nobody had ever noticed.

I use a local hairdressers and the girl who cuts my hair is a single mum probably in her late twenties and ever so lovely. I am hoping that she is coping with the lock down okay because she is likely to be self employed and probably needs her money just to get by. I am hoping she comes back. I know that she will get a very good tip next time she cuts my hair. I always gave her a decent tip before because their prices are good and I had little else to spend money on anyway an it was like a day out for me whenever I managed to fit a haircut in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TriciaUK