• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Hairdressers

Mustang66

Nov 27, 2019
My hair always was long and I kept it back with a large clip, but now it is getting so long that there is too much for the clip to hold and it keeps falling down!

OH is much worse though - there is a bald patch on top and a very long fringe round the bottom as he had been in and out of hospital and was in sore need of a haircut, but just as he came home from hospital the lockdown began.

I have some hair clippers in the bathroom and Im considering a no4 all over for him...........
Go for it …...only way to get rid of a bald patch is to shave the rest👍

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I cut my husband's hair at the weekend and surprised myself by how good it looks! And it wasn't a no. 5 all over, I had to do some scissor work too. I did do some internet research first though. I cut my fringe as well which was getting a bit long, against the advice of my hairdresser who advised growing it out. I thought well, if it's terrible I can grow it while we're still locked down, so long as I don't take too much off!

But on Sunday my GMIL had a visit from her son, against all of our advice, and when he rocked up he found her was not the only visitor - somehow she had persuaded her hairdresser to visit her at home :eek: I swear she is sent to test us all.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The hairdresser should know better. Anyway we ladies would look good with bows and lipstick and maybe the gentlemen on this forum could do the same with their long locks when the time comes!😆

MaNaAk

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Luckily I decided about 6 months ago to grow out my fringe (have had a fringe for 30 years). Today is trimmed my own hair (just below shoulder length) and it looks ok but unfortunately my heated brush stop working so it wavy.
anyway it feels so much better and looks much tidier.

Mustang66

Nov 27, 2019
Don't have the time or inclination for nail bars or beauty salons anyway, apart from a hair trim, been dying my own hair for years, definitely would not know the difference, obviously you have to do an allergy test first
Its getting OH to have his hair cut, its a real chore, been using a hair trimmer for about 3 years now, another string to my bow, its amazing how many tasks we can take on and do a good job

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
On Friday I noticed the hair ofthe hosts of Have I Got News For You growing nicely. Mine is coming on well but I am using my one hour exercise to stop my stomach growing outwards.

MaNaAk

northumbrian_k

Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
How hard can it be? thought I, so yesterday I decided to shave my own hair and beard (that is what the barber usually does). I think that it looks alright. It was a little long for my beard trimmer to handle so I had to stop several times to unclog it and put it back together when the spinning bit that drives the cutter got dislodged. If I keep on top of it and don’t let it get too long I think that I might be able to manage my hair in future, although some contortionism with mirrors is necessary in order to check what it is like at the back. It is not as though I’m going anywhere posh (or anywhere). Meanwhile, in lockdown, my wife is continuing to let her hair grow out to its natural colour. The care home staff will do her fringe but the hairdresser will not be going for a few weeks yet.

TextintheCity

Feb 20, 2011
London
I love these posts, they made me smile. I've had no choice but to let my hair grow to see what colour it really is...Nope, definitely not going natural yet. I'll stick with the dye and use claw grips to keep my 'updo' until I have to cut it myself.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Textinthecity,

Your post has disappeared for the moment, probably due to me with this phone, anyway I wanted to say that you would look lovely with your natural hair colour.

MaNaAk

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My last trim was March 4th.

I never coloured my hair and my style has been the same all my life so all I have to contend with is growth. I`ve bought some head bands to keep it in check and will tie it back if it becomes too long.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My hair has been highlighted - but in summer I always skip a visit as the sun does the job. However the length is too long already - somehow I missed a visit in late Feb, and had kept it a bit longer when it was last cut last year.

It was in local news last night that Peter Collinge, who founded the Collinge hairdressing dynasty died - he had recovered from Covid and gone home, dying in his sleep. He was 92.