Hairdressers

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Just letting you know that tomorrow will be the first trim that I have had since August. My friend thinks I'm very brave.

MaNaAk

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Took mum to hairdressers today. New one since mid April as old one didn’t reopen.
It is a very small one stylist salon with a very compact hair washing station that is very comfortable. Walking in for our 5th visit mum says the washing station is such an improvement on the old one ( same one). Luckily hairdresser chosen for kind personality, plays along and says yes it is good, whilst I am almost collapsing in a heap of giggles. Mum is oblivious and when we get home tells me she was really dreading having her hair washed in the “old “ sink!!
A celebratory sandwich in Asda followed with the purchase of mums necessities...brandy, chocolate and bottled water!!
We know how to live here!!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I bit the bullet finally and got my long hair cut. But I went to a new (local) place, not the city centre salon I've been going to for 20-odd years. Sheesh - what a mistake!

It was not what I'm used to! Although it looked OK from the outside, it was really small inside and all looked a bit basic. The woman who cut my hair was.... OK, but there was little discussion, no input from her, no artistry and she barely looked at my hair before starting. And the products! She was using really cheapie no-name stuff - I am used to Kerastase, Redken and top 'salon' brands. Took her maybe 6 minutes to cut my hair. My usual stylist is really precise then goes through doing pointy bits, etc. The stylists at my usual place are mostly young, career hairdressers. They continually attend training courses to learn all the latest techniques, enter lots of hairdressing competitions, do photo shoots and other glam stuff. This cut felt like a friend of a friend doing it in her front room :(

I was supposed to be getting it coloured too, plus highlights, but my heart sank when she got out her book of colour swatches. Just one book - the same cheapie brand, three of the 4 pages didn't apply to my hair colour so only about 10 colours to choose from and she was completely flummoxed when I said I wanted highlights and lowlights. Good thing I didn't ask her for balayage... I didn't have the colour because they have to do a patch test first which I agreed to. The next day I'm afraid I phoned up to cancel the next appointment to do the colour - she just wasn't up to the job.

So I am off to the local town this afternoon and will find me a new place! (Last one chosen from the internet - not a good plan.) I'm going to peer through windows and look what brand of products they use!

BTW, the place I went should have been really cheap. She charged me £30 for the cut, which is OK, but then she said she didn't have a card reader and I would have to pay cash. (There's a machine a few doors away.) That put me off too. The whole set up seemed a bit... temporary. She intended to charge £65 to do the colour so that would be £95 in total. I can get a proper professional job done for £150 in town which to be honest I think is much better value. (And safer!) Wasn't even offered a coffee :(

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I bit the bullet finally and got my long hair cut. But I went to a new (local) place, not the city centre salon I've been going to for 20-odd years. Sheesh - what a mistake!

It was not what I'm used to! Although it looked OK from the outside, it was really small inside and all looked a bit basic. The woman who cut my hair was.... OK, but there was little discussion, no input from her, no artistry and she barely looked at my hair before starting. And the products! She was using really cheapie no-name stuff - I am used to Kerastase, Redken and top 'salon' brands. Took her maybe 6 minutes to cut my hair. My usual stylist is really precise then goes through doing pointy bits, etc. The stylists at my usual place are mostly young, career hairdressers. They continually attend training courses to learn all the latest techniques, enter lots of hairdressing competitions, do photo shoots and other glam stuff. This cut felt like a friend of a friend doing it in her front room :(

I was supposed to be getting it coloured too, plus highlights, but my heart sank when she got out her book of colour swatches. Just one book - the same cheapie brand, three of the 4 pages didn't apply to my hair colour so only about 10 colours to choose from and she was completely flummoxed when I said I wanted highlights and lowlights. Good thing I didn't ask her for balayage... I didn't have the colour because they have to do a patch test first which I agreed to. The next day I'm afraid I phoned up to cancel the next appointment to do the colour - she just wasn't up to the job.

So I am off to the local town this afternoon and will find me a new place! (Last one chosen from the internet - not a good plan.) I'm going to peer through windows and look what brand of products they use!

BTW, the place I went should have been really cheap. She charged me £30 for the cut, which is OK, but then she said she didn't have a card reader and I would have to pay cash. (There's a machine a few doors away.) That put me off too. The whole set up seemed a bit... temporary. She intended to charge £65 to do the colour so that would be £95 in total. I can get a proper professional job done for £150 in town which to be honest I think is much better value. (And safer!) Wasn't even offered a coffee :(
Oh no! I used to have a very fancy hairdresser and I'm not sure whether to go back to him or not. It's such a long trek. I think I am going to try the work hairdresser - she cuts almost everyone's hair at my work and they are all pretty stylish, so I'll see if that works as I can time it with going into the office then. I've not had a cut or colour in 18 months and with all the swimming/washing my ends are dry. The colour doesn't look too bad as it's sort of blended out although the ends and roots do look quite different, so I'm ditching colour for now. I don't really care about the nattering but I think it's so important when you can sort of bond with the person doing your hair. When I first started working I used to get a cheap dry cut done by a hairdresser who was hypermobile - she was so fast, because she didn't have to move around half as much. She was good though, I missed her when I moved away! I'll have to let you know how my 'work cut' goes if I manage to get one in a couple of weeks when I'm next in the office. Hope you've found a better place by now!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i just have a basic dry and all the dead ends off. never coloured it and hate someone washing it as i know im goingt to have to wash it again as im particular what is used on my hair. i go to the neighbourhood hairdressers and they do a good job and suit what i want. i dont liker the nattering as its all false and they respond with platitudes. my grandson asked me why my hair was a different colour? because it is going grey cheeky monkey.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I go to a new local hairdresser, friends of my daughter after our original hairdressers closed.
At £25 for a cut and blow dry it’s cheap but the main thing is that she is kind, agrees with my mum on everything she says, notices when she is anxious and generally has a happy face to the world . To me she’s priceless!!

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Mum and I went to the hairdressers together; she had her hair cut but I dithered in November 2019 whether to have another perm - and didn't.

I trimmed mum's hair during lockdown and she went back to Sarah when hairdressers re-opened.

I dithered again, my hair had grown so longish by then I could put my hand up my back and give it a good yank.

I've never ever had long hair but I love having a swishy pony tail that now I can swish from one shoulder to the other.

Question. Is long hair ageing on 'mature' ladies?

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I last coloured my hair in April 2020 and then suddenly decided to go natural. I actually gave my reserve box of colour away so that I wouldn't be tempted. I had always coloured it myself a red mahogany since my teens and people said it was lovely as it always looked glossy. The only people that didn't like it were mum and sister. Mum annoyingly would say in later years it wouldn't look right on me much longer said it would age me?. I just got fed up with the palava doing it last year so made myself a promise I would grow the colour right out. I looked online and it did say if you can stick it out the best way was to grow the colour out but needed patience. I'm almost there now just one last cut of less than a inch and all done. I went from being able to have a smallish ponytail to a short bob. It's so much quicker to dry and the condition is good/better because I was addicted to my hair straighteners much less so now as dryer straightens well.. Random people have said the colour is nice and suits me. It's not a solid grey which I was hoping for but looks like it's had high/lowlights done and I do like it. I actually changed hairdresser in September last year to someone that ran her business from her home having had her garage converted apparently 7 years ago she was so close I could walk there. I so wish I had found her sooner unfortunately she has just moved away but within traveling distance at around 23 miles each way. I shall endeavour to get to her as she is good I just hope my Sat Nav finds her as I always seem to get lost. Like you @Dimpsy I've never had really long hair but has varied quite a bit in length over the years. Personally I don't think it matters how long or short but did read recently that grey hair was more coarse and better suited to a shorter cut. I think the article mentioned Helen Mirren as she has grown her hair and article said it looked nicer when shorter. I did experience some alarming hair loss due to Covid only had to touch it and several hairs fell out but it seems to be settling now thank goodness.

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
ive never coloured or permed my hair. i had a short like lady diana style until i was 21-22yr then my husband liked long hair so i grew it and other than a couple of times when i got fed up and had a short bob, ive kept it long. its thick and wavy and if i have it cut short, it curls and frizzes so i leave it. as the colour is changing to grey, ive been temped to dye it but would rather go grey naturally than put a colour on it and then be more of a shock. its long and a pain to wash but more versatile. i only use hairdryer when absolutely necessary and never used straighteners.
one of my daughters has very long hair right down to her waistband. she has stripes in it and cant go anywhere without straightening it. she has my hair and doesnt like it. 2 of my granddaughters have got it as well.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I'd like to see you all with your natural hair and I saw some lovely hair styles during lockdown.

MaNaAk

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm not into designer clothes, shoes or handbags - I buy most things second hand. I don't do manicures or any other 'beauty' treatments but I do like my hair to look nice (it is difficult hair...) so it's one thing I'm prepared to splurge on if necessary. And a good hairdo lasts much longer than a poor one. I'm not interested in inane chat but if you are paying a professional for their expertise, I expect them to have a few suggestions for styling/colouring not just say 'how much do you want off today?' In my old place I could just say, 'I want it to look fabulous' and confidently leave it entirely to them. No chance I would have allowed Mrs Mop (who cut it last week) a free hand!

I'm 61 so only semi-ancient :)
I've got some grey coming through but not loads - I don't intend to go natural for a few years yet. My hair had grown way past my shoulders and I don't think very long hair is a great look when you're older, unless you wear it up all the time (I never do) or you're exceptionally beautiful. (Ha!) It can start to look a bit witchy and I think dark coloured dye looks witchy and unnatural on older women too.

Right - I am off to look in a few hairdressers' windows...