Hairdressers

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Oh I wish I could do short hair! But I think you need a really pretty face or a particular shape of face. And the right sort of hair. My hair has a natural strong (but wayward) curl. People have said to me, 'Aren't you lucky to have curly hair?!' Well, no actually! I've always wanted straight hair and have been straightening mine for years! But it is very moisture-sensitive. If the hairdresser blows it straight and I leave the salon looking fine, if there's the slightest moisture in the air (and I live in Manchester so there is always moisture in the air...!) my hair will be a complete mess by the time I've walked to the corner of the road :(

Moisture makes my curls emerge but not in a pretty way, just in an awkward cowlick type of way so I look like I've just got up after a bad night :( I find straighteners help to keep it tamed but my fringe is still wayward!

Currently - having not been to the hairdresser for nearly a year - my hair is just past my shoulders. I have cut and coloured it myself this last year - I reckon I've saved about £450 so far. But I am so envious of women who look good with a really short pixie cut that stays in place - must be SO easy. I spend far too much time straightening my disappointing locks.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my frizzes and like an afro after i have washed it before i comb it through[battle through it].
my daughters hair is wavy like mine and she straighten it every day. how many straighteners shes gone through since a teenager although she does do french plaits to get it out of the way. her daughters the same hair but blond and my other granddaughter is the same. no one thanks me. the shorter i cut it the curlier it becomes so keep it long to control it

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Well I need to get to those clothes shops when lockdown eases. Just have to take a longer route to the Coop.

MaNaAk

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Like you @Jaded'n'faded, my hair is way past my shoulders, I dithered in November 2019 whether to have a perm, mum had hers cut; still dithering in February 2020, mum had hers cut, then lockdown.

My hair hasn't been this long since - well, never. I've got thick hair and when I was a child mum always kept my hair short because it took so long to dry by the fire on a Sunday night.
BH, what a revelation, mid sixties with long (ish) hair.
Sometimes I pin it up, sometimes I have a pony tail, sometimes it's down.
I don't care that older women aren't 'supposed' to have long hair, I'm going to enjoy doing my thing. Maybe I'll get my ancient heated roller's out and have curly long hair.

Incidentally, daughter one has straight hair like me, daughter two has curly hair like OH, which she detested until Kylie had a spiral perm in the 1990's.
Daughter two has natural spiral curls and, thanks to Kylie, has learnt to love her hair (her beautiful hair, I wish I had hair like hers).

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Like you @Jaded'n'faded, my hair is way past my shoulders, I dithered in November 2019 whether to have a perm, mum had hers cut; still dithering in February 2020, mum had hers cut, then lockdown.

My hair hasn't been this long since - well, never. I've got thick hair and when I was a child mum always kept my hair short because it took so long to dry by the fire on a Sunday night.
BH, what a revelation, mid sixties with long (ish) hair.
Sometimes I pin it up, sometimes I have a pony tail, sometimes it's down.
I don't care that older women aren't 'supposed' to have long hair, I'm going to enjoy doing my thing. Maybe I'll get my ancient heated roller's out and have curly long hair.

Incidentally, daughter one has straight hair like me, daughter two has curly hair like OH, which she detested until Kylie had a spiral perm in the 1990's.
Daughter two has natural spiral curls and, thanks to Kylie, has learnt to love her hair (her beautiful hair, I wish I had hair like hers).
since when have older people not had long hair. my hair is down to the middle of my back. itsw really thick and wavy. it frizzes when wet. its still mainly dark with increasingly grey bits. my daughter and 2 granddaughters have the same hair and it frizzes as well. all have got really long hair. im only 53, and not cutting my hair.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
since when have older people not had long hair. my hair is down to the middle of my back. itsw really thick and wavy. it frizzes when wet. its still mainly dark with increasingly grey bits. my daughter and 2 granddaughters have the same hair and it frizzes as well. all have got really long hair. im only 53, and not cutting my hair.
I think it's what you take in over the years that short hair is more 'flattering' as a woman matures.
What poppycock!!
Like I said, mum wouldn't let me have long hair when I was little, looking at B&W photo's of me when young, I had a pudding basin home hair cut.

I always hated going to the hairdresser's because of the moans when blow drying my thick hair.
My lack of self confidence seeping in.
I was so embarrassed in a Southampton hairdresser's once (I can name and shame) when the man drying my hair stopped half way through for a rest because his wrist was aching.
I felt so guilty for having thick hair and for years after, chopped my hair myself.

I don't dress as an ancient, my skirts are short, my jeans are ripped (but only because I was gardening and got stuck in brambles)

This last year has been harrowing for me and mine, but lockdown has liberated my short hair syndrome and I'm going to revel in having long, maybe even very long hair, unless my arms ache from using the hair dryer 😳

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I think it's what you take in over the years that short hair is more 'flattering' as a woman matures.
What poppycock!!
Like I said, mum wouldn't let me have long hair when I was little, looking at B&W photo's of me when young, I had a pudding basin home hair cut.

I always hated going to the hairdresser's because of the moans when blow drying my thick hair.
My lack of self confidence seeping in.
I was so embarrassed in a Southampton hairdresser's once (I can name and shame) when the man drying my hair stopped half way through for a rest because his wrist was aching.
I felt so guilty for having thick hair and for years after, chopped my hair myself.

I don't dress as an ancient, my skirts are short, my jeans are ripped (but only because I was gardening and got stuck in brambles)

This last year has been harrowing for me and mine, but lockdown has liberated my short hair syndrome and I'm going to revel in having long, maybe even very long hair, unless my arms ache from using the hair dryer 😳
my mum just wanted her monies worth out of the cut. i never dry my hair but leave it to dry naturally. i put it up, leave it down. can do more with it than short hair. i come from southampton

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Have booked mum and me in with new hairdresser. Our previous lady closed after lockdown 2.
Getting so excited, only 2 months til we go!! I told mum this evening that I had managed to find someone else and she was very happy...just two long months as had to wait til 22nd as the lady was booked up earlier.
I just hope it’s all ok, I know getting our hair done is insignificant in the scheme of things and there have been so many suffering and continuing to suffer but I am so glad!!

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My hair is growing longer and longer, but never mind; love a pony tail.

Mum had our regular 'Sarah' professional hairdresser's cut in Feb 2020, followed by a lockdown Dimpsy amateur hair cut in May 2020 - not too badI if I say so myself!!!
Lovely Sarah again in August, chopped out my snips but was very complimentary of my attempt.
Very smart mum, until November when her hair was so long it was difficult putting in her hearing aids. Another lockdown Dimpsy hair cut which seems to have given her Chewbacca type hairy ears.

Can mum last with hairy ears until April before a proper Sarah professional hair do?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Looking at the easing of lockdown I should have very long hair in a few months. Boris's hair coming on well and Naga's hair is even better.

MaNaAk