Hairdressers

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I tend to get my hair cut on the spur of the moment so I don’t have a regular hairdresser. It was last cut very short a year ago and is now down to my shoulders and very straggly but I can’t gather up any enthusiasm to actually book an appointment to get it cut, mostly because I can’t be bothered with all the Covid precautions everybody has to go through. My fringe is wobbly where I trimmed it myself but as very few people see me nowadays I’m not sure that it matters!
My hairdresser (not seen since February...) is in Manchester city centre and would involve me getting the train and walking through the crowded central areas so I really don't fancy it much.

I've been hacking at mine again so it's a bit of a mess/shaggy/scrappy but I'm past caring. (I can make it look OK if I work at it with the GHD's!) Normally at the hairdresser I go for the full works - grey roots done, highlights and lowlights, graduated colour and all that clever stuff. My last attempt (with a box of Loreal) came out rather too dark but it has pretty much faded (much like me) and washed out now so I may have to have another go.

If I ever do return to my (very expensive) hairdresser I will have the works - pink/blue highlights and everything!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im lucky i havent got that much grey in my hair, never dyed or permed it so its in good condition. dont even like using a hair dryer and no curls or straighteners my daughter using all the time as she has my hair which frizzes and curls.she hates it and my granddaughters have it as well. they will probably hate and straighten it. its long so my husband trims the ends but he took about 4 inches off it last time and its still down my back. my son and grandsons go to a turkish hairdresser and are worse about not going to the hairdressers not the ladies.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Well, I should have taken the opportunity to get my hair done in the summer but I was concerned about public transport and Manchester city centre...

It is now 9 months since my last visit and what a flippin' mess it is! I've hacked at it with the kitchen scissors and people have said 'it looks fine'.... But I know it doesn't and it gets harder to style it every day now the layers have grown out. I did attempt to redo the layer but.... I'm a retailer not a hairdresser!

Maybe I should experiment with tying it back though I've always worn my hair loose...

And I've definitely put on at least half a stone this year. Haven't weighed myself but I daren't as I know I will have gone over 9 stone (I've been 8 and a half for years.) My jeans are definitely more snug than they used to be! :(

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I finally had mine cut a couple of weeks ago and it is much better. My husband had cut the back a couple of times so I needed it done. I am growing out the blonde and now it is white. It looks okay at the moment but I don't know if I really want to be white haired at 64. I have a friend who is over 80 and she only has a bit of grey at the front. I also have a very glamorous 92 year old aunt who still has her roots done because they grow through dark. This is not fair.

@Jaded'n'faded I have given up with the weight for now and I am fat according to my BMI not obese yet but I am sure I will get there if I carry on like this. Never in my life have I been fat and I don't like it but we have fish pie for tea tonight and I do like that so I am doomed.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Have you tried this method @Jaded'n'faded ? My hair's not as long as this (and, er, silver) but I gave it a go and ended up with a passable sort of "shag" cut, a bit rock chick. Worth watching anyway as the girl doing the video is so sweet. Best not to cut too much off first time.....

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
In tier 4 I will be able to grow my hair again but the other day I saw a young lady with a plait down to her knees.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my hair is down my back but what a lot of work just to maintain that length of hair. my husband cut the ends last lock down and need to get him to do it again. the only thing with my hair as its heavy as well, what do you do with it thats different. she must get a lot of headaches

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I take the clippers to OHs hair every few weeks, so he is OK, but my hair is down to my waist now and its so heavy that it wont stay in any clip and so fine that it wont stay in a bun, or plait. So it just looks a mess.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Well I didn't say that this girl's hair was tied into a pony tail on top of her head before being plaited so the actual length must be halfway between her knees and her heels. I imagine when it's loose she would have to have it on her lap. Also how would you comb that hair my hair is nearly halfway down my back and still gets tangled!

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i dont think you could do it for yourself. when my hair is wet, it turns into an afro frizz so a lot of work to get brush through. i couldnt have my hair that long. my daughters hair its right down to her bo0ttom, not by choice but cant be bothered to have it cut. my granddaughters have nannys hair and they frizz as well.

northumbrian_k

Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
As a man of a certain age and with not much hair except of the facial variety I can't say that I have missed my infrequent trips to the barber. I have a beard trimmer and - when even my hair was starting to get too long - I decided that I could use it to give myself a 'haircut'. I managed fine (so the mirror tells me) although at first I had to keep stopping to unblock the trimmer. Now my hair is back under control that is no longer a problem. The hardest bit is, when holding a mirror to do the back, trying to resist the urge to move the trimmer in the opposite direction to what is required. It is a bit like reversing a car. My sister has seen my hair and hasn't commented so I am assuming that it is passable. It is not as though I'm going anywhere, especially (never again) to the barber's.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my son and my grandsons like the turkish barber where the beard gets cut properly and conditioner applied to the beard which one of the real bushy ones in fashion at the moment

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Just before bed I thought of a suitable name for the young lady who was riding a bike with her long plait. Rapunzel!

MaNaAk

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
As a man of a certain age and with not much hair except of the facial variety I can't say that I have missed my infrequent trips to the barber. I have a beard trimmer and - when even my hair was starting to get too long - I decided that I could use it to give myself a 'haircut'. I managed fine (so the mirror tells me) although at first I had to keep stopping to unblock the trimmer. Now my hair is back under control that is no longer a problem. The hardest bit is, when holding a mirror to do the back, trying to resist the urge to move the trimmer in the opposite direction to what is required. It is a bit like reversing a car. My sister has seen my hair and hasn't commented so I am assuming that it is passable. It is not as though I'm going anywhere, especially (never again) to the barber's.
Having a boyfriend of a certain age, also with very little hair, I stopped him trimming what was left years ago, He turned up here once with a distinct, 3" curved 'racing line' across the back of his head. Told me it was simple to do with his new trimmer and he didn't even need a mirror...

But yes - doing the back is exceedingly tricky!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You will be able to grow lovely long hair now @Beate.

MaNaAk
I'd rather have lovely short hair, thank you. Boyfriend is bald out of choice, he shaves his head often, doesn't need a barber for that but for me that's too radical a solution, LOL.