• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Hairdressers

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I don't know if any of you saw 'Have I Got News For You' last night but I found hilarious when Paul Merton and Ian Hislop
were saying that in a few weeks time we could look like we've gone back to the seventies! Now when I was caring for dad a visit to the hairdressers provided respite but as his condition progressed I started to worry about him wandering or falling. In other words I was approaching my own lockdown so to those people who are not used to not visiting beauty salons welcome to our world!

MaNaAk

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hello Everyone.

I don't know if any of you saw 'Have I Got News For You' last night but I found hilarious when Paul Merton and Ian Hislop
were saying that in a few weeks time we could look like we've gone back to the seventies! Now when I was caring for dad a visit to the hairdressers provided respite but as his condition progressed I started to worry about him wandering or falling. In other words I was approaching my own lockdown so to those people who are not used to not visiting beauty salons welcome to our world!

MaNaAk
No matter how long the lockdown I suspect my bald patch will stay bald but I will end up looking like Mick Miller the comedian from the 70s!

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I hadn't had my hair cut for a couple of months when I went in December and haven't been since as I couldn't leave mum alone in the day to go, hubby took the afternoon off to sit with mum when I went in December. Mum had started having carers a couple of afternoons a week and I was just about to make an appointment for mine when lockdown happened and it shut. Mum hasn't had hers cut since last june apart from her fringe which I do every so often as she got worried about going. Its gone from a short crop to almost well over her ears now. I imagine we'll see some strange hairstyles in coming few months.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My hair always was long and I kept it back with a large clip, but now it is getting so long that there is too much for the clip to hold and it keeps falling down!

OH is much worse though - there is a bald patch on top and a very long fringe round the bottom as he had been in and out of hospital and was in sore need of a haircut, but just as he came home from hospital the lockdown began.

I have some hair clippers in the bathroom and Im considering a no4 all over for him...........

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Aside from the strange hairstyles that we could see in a few weeks' time we could see a mad rush for the hairdressers at the end of this. When I was a teenager I must have had a brainstorm as I decided to cut my own hair in the bathroom. When I showed my new hairstyle she said it was all different lengths and she had to finish the job for me.

MaNaAk

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My hair wouldn’t look out of place in the ‘70s anyway but I’ve noticed flared jeans sneaking back into the shops (not that we can go out and buy them now) ...maybe I should start knitting a tank top...

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
In a couple of months I will look like a haystack, just before lockdown I had a complete restyle with lots of layering and whispy bits, definitely a high maintenance cut. I will post a photo then to give everyone a good laugh.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My hair would be too long for a photo soo but I do feel sorry for our gentlemen friends on this forum who finding out how it is to have long hair for the first time. Also on my way out today a lady walked in the road to avoid me but I had to cross the road anyway so she went back on the pavement. I am now getting used to this!

MaNaAk

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Luckily I’ve been growing my hair & it‘s now long enough for a pony tail. My roots on the other hand :eek:

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My hair would be too long for a photo soo but I do feel sorry for our gentlemen friends on this forum who finding out how it is to have long hair for the first time. Also on my way out today a lady walked in the road to avoid me but I had to cross the road anyway so she went back on the pavement. I am now getting used to this!

MaNaAk
I've noticed that @MaNaAk, passers-by giving each other a very wide berth. I usually say a "hello" to them to make me feel a bit more normal about the situation.

On the hair front, mum and I always go together, except for the last time. Mum went end of February and I didn't, as I'm umming and aahing about having a perm. That'll teach me, for the last couple of days I've been sporting a ponytail!

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I assumed that mums visiting hairdresser wouldn't be able to visit and to be honest I thought it would be too much of a risk anyway,even though mum has visiting carers.
I afraid to say I took the drastic action of cutting mum's hair myself and have realised that it's not as easy as they make it look,it has now settled down though and looks better.
Fortunately mum has a short cut anyway,the main bits that I cut were around the ears were it gets bushy,the fringe and length on the neck,I tried the sides and realised that was the difficult bit and beyond my skill set as it looked a mess after I touched it but it looks fine now.
It was handy that I had proper scissors as my son trims his own hair,he didn't want to cut his Grannies though,the lady charges £15 and has leaves the home after 10 minutes so it's nice to have saved some money that can stay in the jar for a few treats

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I have highlights every 8 weeks or so - I missed an appointment in Feb and then with one thing or another didn't rearrange it and then by the time we got to March I didn't want to go.

There is a little grey hiding under the highlights just at the front above my ears - I'll find out if there is anymore soon.. If we get a good bit of sun and I sit out I'll be OK as I always skip highlights in the middle of summer.

Dau colours her own hair anyway - her roots need bleaching at the moment and then colour (normally purple).

I bought a hairclipper for OH and son but it sits unused so far. I actually like OH with slightly longer hair (he normally has a no 2) . Son is 14 with naturally curly hair (his age group apparently now perm their hair) so has it fairly long on top - I think he plans to tie this back, but clip the sides - normally a no 4.

Both of them stopped shaving - but then OH had to go to work. Son grew some stubble where the sideburns would be - but very fair whispy bits around his chin.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hair salons closed, nail salons closed, tanning salons closed, beauty salons closed.:eek:

It's going to get ugly out there!!!!!!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think they'll be new trends coming soon! As I sit here I can smell my neighbour's barbeque so someone's enjoying this weather although I think of my friends on this forum caring for a loved one in this weather and not being able to take them out.

MaNaAk

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I took the hairclippers to OH today - its a bit shorter than I actually intended (whoops), but the length was annoying him. Anyway, by the time it needs a proper cut again all the hairdressers will be open :cool:
Hair salons closed, nail salons closed, tanning salons closed, beauty salons closed.:eek:

It's going to get ugly out there!!!!!!
OK, OK - no need to rub it in!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I think they'll be new trends coming soon! As I sit here I can smell my neighbour's barbeque so someone's enjoying this weather although I think of my friends on this forum caring for a loved one in this weather and not being able to take them out.

MaNaAk
Yes, it's difficult. I took my wife out for a walk around our locality yesterday and she just couldn't understand why we had to stand back from any neighbours we met. I ended up thinking I needed a toddler safety harness. A simple thing like a walk yet it can create extra stress.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I took the hairclippers to OH today - its a bit shorter than I actually intended (whoops), but the length was annoying him. Anyway, by the time it needs a proper cut again all the hairdressers will be open :cool:

OK, OK - no need to rub it in!
😄

I'm lucky as I don't much care what I look like - being old, grey and balding already. I use clippers on myself and even let my wife loose on the back bit that I can't see. Goodness knows what the back looks like when she's finished but as I can't see it I don't worry.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @canary and @karaokePete,

Try looking at one of my earlier replies to see the of me as a fourteen year old cutting my own hair whilst looking in the bathroom mirror. Of course I couldn't see the back mum didn't tell me off probably because she may have been having trouble keeping a straight face!

MaNaAk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita67