Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. rosy18

rosy18 Registered User

Jul 23, 2016
    Female
    Blackpool
    I do so feel for you Marnie it must be so hard trying to turn your dear Mum on your own.At my last 12 monthly MOT when asked do you do much exercise I replied not really but I do lots of weight Lifting!! Lifting Mum out of bed for her 3 toilet visits throughout the night is hard going.
    Like me I know your desperate to keep your Mum at home if possible and I know it's hard having your home taken over by all the visits and homecare but I would use your full quota Marnie.Sending you ((hugs))xx

PT sorry to read your Mums still in hospital ((hugs))to you too xx

All's not too bad here with Mum apart from the singing for the brain Mum no longer wants to go through the front door as she then thinks her Mum will wonder where she is.When we arrive home from the singing I struggle to lift her out of the car as she pulls away from me not wanting to go into our house as she doesn't recognise it and asks me what are we doing going into someone else's houseOnce inside she is fine sits in her chair and goes fast asleep, she is very rarely awake after mid day.

Also she is understanding much less of what is said so I'm wondering how long before she understands nothing ,yet another downturn.

Still trying to get used to the new site
    Jorgie back soon I think so hope you've had a fabulous holidayxx
    Hope everybody on this thread has had a peaceful Sunday xx

2. WORRIER123

WORRIER123 Registered User

Oct 1, 2015
    Oh bless you Marnie
    Dad had some nasty sores. The district nurse gave some cream I have the name at home but as they were on his heels they said to but his feet on pillows in bed which saved turning him
    When he was hospitalised his sores were actually worse than being at home as the night staff wouldn't change him or the bed if he wet it in the early hours. They left it for the morning staff.
    Big hug x

3. Lavender45

Lavender45 Registered User

Jun 7, 2015
    Liverpool
    Well some good news from me. I've just called the ward and mum wasn't aggressive at all yesterday!!! Maybe we have this cracked at long last. Woo hoo, go mum, go calmly that is. :D x

4. Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
    Liverpool
    Mia she amazes me too, she's as feisty as they come!

There's nothing wrong with lurking so long as you know you can join in at any time. You you are already part of our thread whether you know it or not and we're glad to have you with us. x

5. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Better day today. Two carers came for six hours! It was wonderful to not be involved in the morning washing and dressing session. I think that's the one I need two people for going forward. I was able to go and buy food and the two ladies were also able to move mum from bed to wheelchair, then to recliner, then back to bed for a doze, then back to recliner. So much easier with many hands. Physio came and did some upper body and leg exercises with mum, most of which she was able to do quite well. I really hope they see improvement as I think they may extend the visits, but if no improvement then clearly they need to draw the line somewhere. If they stop, I'll get someone in privately. Unfortunately, they were not happy to let mum do some stands because of the sores on her heels. I wanted them to, but I think Elf and Safety doesn't allow that. Never mind. We'll do some with the carer on Friday!!

Glad to hear some good news about your mum Lavender. MIA - kind words, thank you. I've had so much help here reading other people's stories. Maybe mine will help someone too. And for me it helps to offload! Like Lavender, without this site and this thread I would have been confined to a dark, padded room a long time ago (though maybe they do leave a light on!).

Big hugs to everyone else, for your support, and for being here.

6. Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
    Liverpool
    Morning everyone. Glad yesterday was a little better Marnie. Hope today is similar for you. My fingers are crossed.

I has intended to go in to see mum this afternoon, but I called and she's aggressive again this morning lashing out at staff and putting herself to the floor so I've decided to play hooky and not go in partly for me as I just don't want to face that mood, I've been there so often and partly for mum as my presence will not help one iota. I thought maybe we had turned a corner aggression wise, but maybe we only had a look around the corner and didn't fancy it. One of these days it'll happen, the corner will be turned sooner or later!

7. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Double edged sword, that though, isn't it @Lavender45 ? Because your mum turning that corner means, most likely, that she has deteriorated more.

8. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Things not too bad here today, had two carers again for the morning session. That one is the worst - so much to do. Have emailed agency saying that's the one they must send two carers for each time, eventually. What I struggle with is overlapping jobs - there we were in the middle of applying a new dressing to the wound, and there was a knock at the door. There's just so much damn stuff going on, on top of every other basic thing that needs to be done. But, I'm still hoping that once all of it calms down, things will get a little easier. Latest thing that pushed me over the edge to tears was the new reclining wheelchair (tilt n space, I think they call it) arriving, but the footrests are so high. No explanation of how to adjust, no instructions left! So me and the carer had to put lots of padding under mum's feet. Mum's legs are short anyway, and this thing must be set up for someone who is under 4 foot! It's OK apart from that, but so damn frustrating. I have a physio and OT here on Thursday, so hope they can sort it out.

9. jorgieporgie

jorgieporgie Registered User

Mar 2, 2016
    YORKSHIRE
    Hi Everyone, I am home and wow what a change on here, just trying to get to grips with it and will catch up with you all tomorrow. Tired and ready for an early night. Hope your all ok xxx

10. Amere

Amere Registered User

Oct 1, 2017
    On a serious note, I find the biggest trap is to think you are winning during a run of good days and then bingo the person you're caring for has a sleepless night with all the trimmings and so do you !

11. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Thanks Carmar. You speak a lot of sense, but I'm not giving up, not yet anyway!

What is the latest with your mum? I'm not following as much as I was on here so have missed updates. Is your mum back home now? I remember you were grappling with some pretty serious health issues of your mum's. I hope things have improved somewhat for both you and your mum.

I SO wish I could step back in time to how we were before. That was all so easy now, in hindsight, compared to what I have now. But I can't, and nor can mum. She had a stroke and is now immobile. And I still can't get my head round it all really ...

12. Moggymad

Moggymad Registered User

May 12, 2017
    Female
    @Carmar & @Marnie63 I am blown away by the depths of your love for your PWD & your total selflessness in your continuing struggles. You are very special people in my opinion

13. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Indeed!

14. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    @Carmar We will have to agree to differ! :p
    Even on those days when you don't want to get up and face the day ahead - you do get up and face it all again. And of course you think about yourself - if you didn't, you'd never figure out ways to keep fighting on. Nope. Mahoosive cyber bouquet is indeed yours! :)

15. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    I think I'm about to go into battle with SS as well Carmar. They have now said they are going to send someone to 'observe' the double handed, two hour sessions in the morning. They have confirmed that mum needs two carers (currently it's me plus another for most of the sessions as I am waiting for them to make further carers available to me), but are questioning why I'm currently having them for two hours in the morning. She actually asked why I need an hour! It takes a good hour to even get mum washed, dried and creamed properly (we now have some heel sores and an intimate wound to deal with as well), plus what about dressing and hoisting?! It takes ages when rolling someone. And then the district nurse comes when they are here - so how are they supposed to do that proper care and also we fit in the 30-45 mins that the nurse is here?! They all need to be here as I can't time their visits to the minute - sometimes the DN is late. The carers need to be here in case mum is not in bed, so needs to be put back by hoist, which I can't do alone.

I am not sure if SS are working up to saying they will give me no further funding (in which case I'm going to have to pull on some savings to supplement), or whether they are so cash strapped that they need evidence of mum's needs. It's just another stress and worry, on top of everything else. They've already had the detailed care notes of the last couple of weeks since mum came home.

This morning I had two carers, manager from the care agency, a DN, an OT and a Physio here all at the same time. It was like a house party! And then all the calls, man dropping something off, man picking something up. Calls, calls, calls. AAARRRGGGHH! When will this end?! It's all help, but the intensity of it all is driving me crazy. And in between all of this I have to wash clothes, try to keep everything else in our lives in order, oh, and cook and do mum's meds!

I hope you get Direct Payments Carmar - then you can buy what care you need (though I have DPs but it appears that the current SW is not as flexible on that as before - probably because mum is far more poorly now, so they have to be more 'responsible' for her needs).

I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but I can't believe any hospital or care home will clean and care for mum as well as we are doing at home. The talk was "if she goes into hospital or a nursing home for a while, then she will get the care she needs and the wounds and sores will heal faster". So why did she come out of hospital with the damn sores in the first place?!

Rant, rant, rant.

16. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    @Carmar and @Marnie63 - not to mention that the pollen of lillies can be poisonous!
    Carmar @Marnie63 gets her own cyber bouquet! She just needs to find somewhere to put it that the rampaging hordes of visiting care workers, observers and assorted others don't knock her cyber vase over!

17. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Rampaging hordes! That put a smile on my face!!!

18. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Thanks Carmar, will have to make sure, the 'rampaging hordes' don't crush the flowers!

19. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Unbelievable - SS have spoken to the care agency and they will be sending one of their 'senior carers' (excuse me while I stifle a cough), to observe the morning, afternoon, AND evening sessions. But, they wanted to see care agency double ups in action, so the agency HAVE to send double ups that day. Yippee for me! My utterly saving grace in all of this particular episode is the brilliant agency I use, and the owner. Very obliging and very helpful. What would I do without them? The DN is coming on Friday, so at least the 'observer' will see how long that takes.

All seems a bit of a farce. Hope it means they give me extra funding after all this! They cannot question the need for double ups, that's a done deal, but I guess they will be timing the carers with a stopwatch!!!

20. jorgieporgie

jorgieporgie Registered User

Mar 2, 2016
    YORKSHIRE
    Evening Ladies,
    I have just tried to catch up with you all. Marnie, Lavender and Carmer my heart goes out to you all your all having a rough time at the moment.
    I know its not much comfort but would like to send you all a great big hug your all amazing xxxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.