Gutted

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
Things have moved on here and I am so distraught. MH was admitted to hospital on Saturday morning in an unresponsive state. The NH was very lax in their efforts to contact me and I was finally notified in the afternoon by an emergency department doctor. I drove the 45 minutes to be there and MH was completely unresponsive. His eyes were open but as soon as I looked at him I thought: stroke. However, they did a CT scan which showed nothing. An abdominal scan showed that he had a severely fractured hip, but the NH staff have no idea how it might have happened. I find this incredible. The doctors are not going to operate and have MH in traction, the aim being to get the joint to mend itself and then to get him mobile. To be honest, I can't see it happening and I think this is the beginning of the end. He's not eating or drinking, but they have him on IV fluids and he has a catheter. He's not really talking, but when he does try, it is just a string of noises, which makes me feel he's had a TIA - bleed on the brain and not visible on a CT scan. I'll be back early tomorrow to see the doctors and request they look into it. I know I shouldn't be surprised at this turn of events, but 3 days before his fall, he was perfectly normal, recognised me and told me he loved me. Now I am an emotional wreck. Although he has dementia, I've been able to cope because he was still alive. He has always been my reason for being and now I'm losing him. I cried all the way home in the car. I just don't know how I can cope with this.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Things have moved on here and I am so distraught. MH was admitted to hospital on Saturday morning in an unresponsive state. The NH was very lax in their efforts to contact me and I was finally notified in the afternoon by an emergency department doctor. I drove the 45 minutes to be there and MH was completely unresponsive. His eyes were open but as soon as I looked at him I thought: stroke. However, they did a CT scan which showed nothing. An abdominal scan showed that he had a severely fractured hip, but the NH staff have no idea how it might have happened. I find this incredible. The doctors are not going to operate and have MH in traction, the aim being to get the joint to mend itself and then to get him mobile. To be honest, I can't see it happening and I think this is the beginning of the end. He's not eating or drinking, but they have him on IV fluids and he has a catheter. He's not really talking, but when he does try, it is just a string of noises, which makes me feel he's had a TIA - bleed on the brain and not visible on a CT scan. I'll be back early tomorrow to see the doctors and request they look into it. I know I shouldn't be surprised at this turn of events, but 3 days before his fall, he was perfectly normal, recognised me and told me he loved me. Now I am an emotional wreck. Although he has dementia, I've been able to cope because he was still alive. He has always been my reason for being and now I'm losing him. I cried all the way home in the car. I just don't know how I can cope with this.
Pusskins, to reach out and say how very sorry I am at this awful turn of events. I wish I could be with you to help and comfort.
Gx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry to read this @Pusskins

However much we steer ourselves to expect the unexpected with dementia it is still a terrible shock when the unexpected happens.

Suesue.G.

Aug 9, 2020
I am so sorry to read this @ Pusskins. It must be an awful shock for you. I do hope things imptove for you both.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts