1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Gulp - something new

Discussion in 'I have dementia' started by creativesarah, Oct 11, 2017.

1. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

Tomorrow is my first attempt at taking the creative writing group I go to, as a tutor.
    I am feeling very nervous but my aim is to eventually start a creative writing group for those affected by dementia. My tutor is full of hope about it!
    I found a wonderful quote by Helen Keller about memory
    'Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.'
    I have got some things to smell like Germolene, perfume, citrus bath oil.
    I am going to put some items on the table and then get people to write as if they are that object and I have got some facsimile newspapers which are fascinating.

I have just ordered a new Alzheimer's Society T-shirt as I have been asked to do a reading of one of my stories at a fundraising event, and a wristband and a brooch.

In this months 'Living with Dementia' my poem was shortlisted so lots of exciting things going on despite going through a very difficult time

Chins up!

2. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    @creativesarah Gosh, you're living up to your username! :) Well done you! I am sure tomorrow will go well - it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your preparation. Wishing you the very best of luck! xx

3. HillyBilly

HillyBilly Registered User

Dec 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Wow Sarah. that's a lot going on, well done you!
    Loving the smells idea but personally HATE the smell of Germolene.
    Best of luck for tomorrow, I know you'll be grand!

4. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    But even the memory of the smell of germolene provoked a response from you, which shows how evocative the smell is!

5. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    Thinking of you today. Im sure everything will be fine
    xx

6. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Apparently small is one of the first senses that is lost to dementia, though don't know which variety. Breathes sigh of relief!

7. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    #7 Saffie, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    Well done Sarah, you go from strength to strength.
    I hop all goes well but I'm sure it will.
    Incidentally, I love the smell of Germolene!

8. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
    @creativesarah....how did it go? It was such a good idea, you had...to introduce the smells.

9. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

Yesterday went well I think! My tutor seemed pleased and it led to some good conversations and people started writing their own short stories about smells. I read one of mine to them.
    I got hold of some old facsimile newspapers and let everyone choose a copy and take it home to write a story based on something that caught their eye.
    Today I am doing my sums (household accounts!) and I can't seem to get the books to balance.
    When I have unraveled that mystery I will go back to getting my book ready to self-publish which is much more fun. Hoping to have it available before Christmas;)

10. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
    Brilliant! I am pleased for you. A successful lesson like that will boost your confidence for the future. I commiserate with you, I hate figures! Good luck with the book.

11. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    This is a very common problem!! :confused:

12. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I'm delighted to hear how well you're still doing Sarah and wish you luck with your classes.

I have a very keen sense of smell, compensation for poor eyesight and hearing I think. My mother lost her sense of smell very early into her dementia but I think Dhiren kept his . It's as well everyone is different and good you still have yours.

Germolene has a very distinctive smell which I doubt those who have used it will forget.