Registered User
Mar 3, 2007
My father has for the past eight months had more and more 'episodes' of general erratic behaviour. He is 83, it came to a head when he was 'arrested' for refusing to leave a bank. To cut a long story short he has now been in a NHS EMI unit for the past 5weeks. He has been sectioned to keep him there.

My problem is that we have found and paid for a really lovely care home with a secure purpose built EMI unit but as he is sectioned and his medication is still not sorted they will not let him leave. Also, I feel the longer he is in hospital the worse he is getting - has anyone ever come across this - is he getting worse becuase of enforced stay or is this a natural progression of the diease. He is often accroding to the nurses angry and aggresive although i never see it. He still talks well although nothing makes any sense.

I feel very guilty that i have 'left' him there.


Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Dear ela

This must be a very distressing situation for you.

I don`t know the legal ins and outs of sectioning, but I imagine the hospital cannot release your father until his behaviour has stabilised. As drugs take time to be effective, I shouldn`t think anyone will be able to give you a time-scale.

The behaviour he is demonstrating now, is possibly, either in protest or in confusion.

Give the hospital time.

With love


Registered User
Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
elag67 said:
I feel very guilty that i have 'left' him there.
Hi elag67

Welcome to TP

The first thing is, don't feel guilty. Your dad is in hospital for his own safety, and he couldn't have continued as he was. Hopefully they will get him stabilised on medication, and he will be able to move to the NH you have found for hi.

Have you spoken to his consultant? He might be able to give you some idea of how long your dad will be in hospital.

Let us know how you get on.



Registered User
Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hi elag67

it's a difficult situation. what's happening with dad could be his illness, could be the fact that he's in hospital, could be the different medication he's being tried on, could be (and probably is) a combination of all of these.

you do (or at least the nearest relative does) have a right to appeal against the section. check out the fact sheet here:

I'd suggest thought that before you take any action under the mental health act you have more informal discussion with dad's consultant or named nurse. You might get a better understanding from talking it through with them and be able to find some resolution between you.

don't think you should feel guilty for having "left him there" ....... he did kind of get himself into this by getting arrested and sectioned. he's very fortunate to have someone who has managed to find him a better care home option once he's well enough to take it up.

let us know how you get on.