1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Weds 28 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 28 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. SandiW

SandiW Registered User

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    It has come time to elevate my husband's care. He is very resistant and I am having guilt over him going to an adult day center while I work! He is in middle stages of dementia!

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Sandi, welcome to TP
    It sounds like you've thought about it and come to the best decision for both of you, until he try's it he won't know if he likes it or not. There does seem to be a lot of help available in South Carolina you any well have found this but here's a link in case you missed it. That's all for face to face but we're all here for cyber support.
    Guilt is a bit of a dirty word here, you have to do what's in everyone's best interest, feeling guilt is natural but doing the right thing is what's important.
    If you were putting him the centre (we spell that word differently in the UK) to go party then feel guilty, but to go to work! Bringing in money! Stop beating yourself up about it you're doing what's best for everyone,
    K
    K
    http://www.alz.org/sc/in_my_community_support.asp

3. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Just wanted to welcome you to TP especially as we lived in South Carolina for four years and have many happy memories of our time there.

It is so sad that people lose the ability to understand what care they need, but please try not to feel guilty that you are doing your very best for him.