Guidence required to help with Dad

Skipper7

Jan 21, 2016
Essex
First time ever on a forum !!

My Father's dementia has become progressively worse in the last few months. He is 91 and lives alone (My mother passed away many years ago). He has recently been out wandering in his pj's and fallen over at home. He has always refused to write a will. We only have a POA for heath and welfare and now are looking at all options available to ensure he is cared for going forwards. i.e. Admit him into a care home.
He does own his own home and currently has carers seeing him twice a day to help with general duties around the home plus meal preparation and administering meds.
His memory is very poor although some days are far better than others.
We are setting up 3rd party access on his bank accounts but suspect that trying to convince him to sign a basic will (he has always said that his two children will be the only beneficiaries) could be fruitless.
I have printed off all the paperwork for a COP and this appears to be very arduous to complete.
Does anyone have any advice that may be of help and do you think that is may be worth getting a solicitor involved to help steer us through this minefield?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Does he still have capacity in any form? You mention getting him to sign a will. He needs capacity for this which if he has then he has capacity to sign a POA for legal & financial.

If there are only the 2 children that is where everything will go when he dies anyway so whilst easier with a will I understand not that hard without.

The will has no bearing on anything whilst your father is alive.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi welcome to TP.
It is good to hear that you have the health and welfare LPA, personally I consider it just as important as the finance and property one.

If you believe your Dad has capacity to unnderstand the power an LPA grants at the time he signs the form and obviously is willing , having a diagnosis of dementia does not mean you cannot get an LPA.
It's nothing to do with being able to remember, in fact it's ok if the person forgets five seconds after signing the form.

Their are rules to intestatcy which I am sorry I can't help with, they govern the order ect of how the estate is distributed. and just like when a person has made a will , it only comes into force once the person has died.

I hope this helps in som way