Guidance on medication

tubtubs

Mar 20, 2019
My mum has been diagnosed with mixed dementia, we have an appointment with the memory clinic nurses next week to discuss treatment. The consultant has in the past mentioned donepezil, but having read the possible side effects, I really do not know if this should be the way forward.

Mum lives alone, and I do not live close by and I am worried that she will experience side effects and not realise it.

I think that she is probably more mid dementia than early.

I have already lived through vascular dementia with my dad, and it seems so cruel that having cared for him, she now has this diagnosis.

Has anyone any views or experience on the medication/side effects is it worth taking

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Every medication has possible side effects, and every medication is worth trying. It's going to be started on a low 5mg for a month first anyway, so try it out. She might tolerate it just fine.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @tubtubs you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

My wife takes Donepezil and has always tolerated it very well.

My wife's only issue is forgetting to take the meds so it's up to me to manage that. Your mum may need care input to help with that if dosette boxes or the like don't work with her .

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband took Donepezil for a while but had some tummy problems with it. The consultant switched him over to rivastigmine patches and he has been on that for several years without any problems.

Boystruggling

Apr 9, 2019
My husband took Donepezil for a while but had some tummy problems with it. The consultant switched him over to rivastigmine patches and he has been on that for several years without any problems.
Could problems with meds show a month or so in to the 10mg course and create violent aggression as this is case with my dad been fine but last 4 days had an aggressive episode each day

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Could problems with meds show a month or so in to the 10mg course and create violent aggression as this is case with my dad been fine but last 4 days had an aggressive episode each day
My husband has never shown any aggression but some medication can bring on this reaction. And some drugs can take a while to kick in.

Boystruggling

Apr 9, 2019
He was fine on 5mg upped to 10mg been on them a month or so but just the last few days have come from nowhere the aggression etc surely being on meds over a month they have kicked in or problems would have arisen sooner?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
He was fine on 5mg upped to 10mg been on them a month or so but just the last few days have come from nowhere the aggression etc surely being on meds over a month they have kicked in or problems would have arisen sooner?
Everybody's different. If you are concerned about it, perhaps you need to talk to the doctor who prescribed them.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If you are talking about Donepezil, then aggression is listed as a possible side effect. I know that there have been past posts where members have reported people only tolerating this med at the lower 5mg dose.

In my wife’s case a possible side effect of a different med was once discussed even though the symptom only started 6-8 weeks after going onto the max dose of the med.

I would definitely discuss your dad’s new symptom with the GP.

Boystruggling

Apr 9, 2019
If you are talking about Donepezil, then aggression is listed as a possible side effect. I know that there have been past posts where members have reported people only tolerating this med at the lower 5mg dose.

In my wife’s case a possible side effect of a different med was once discussed even though the symptom only started 6-8 weeks after going onto the max dose of the med.

I would definitely discuss your dad’s new symptom with the GP.
Many thanks