Guardianship

Dido51

Feb 20, 2020
I have a joint savings account with a friend who has been diagnosed with dementia and is now in a care home. There has also now been a court date fixed to appoint a welfare and financial guardian by the local authority. I would like if I can to take my half of our joint account but it needs two signatures. Will it be ok for me to contact the solicitor acting for my friend for advice or should I contact the social work department. Thank you.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Dido51
a warm welcome to DTP
you mention that the LA are seeking Deputyship which implies that your friend no longer has capacity to manage their own affairs ... though I am unsure why there is a solicitor acting for him
it may be worth contacting both the solicitor and the legal and financial department of the LA to let them know your situation, especially if this is putting you in financial difficulties .. I doubt the social services dept will have anything to do with the finances or legal proceedings
you may have to wait until a Deputy is appointed, I'm afraid
though there's nothing to prevent you opening a sole bank account to organise your affairs from now on

Dido51

Feb 20, 2020
hello @Dido51
a warm welcome to DTP
you mention that the LA are seeking Deputyship which implies that your friend no longer has capacity to manage their own affairs ... though I am unsure why there is a solicitor acting for him
it may be worth contacting both the solicitor and the legal and financial department of the LA to let them know your situation, especially if this is putting you in financial difficulties .. I doubt the social services dept will have anything to do with the finances or legal proceedings
though there's nothing to prevent you opening a sole bank account to organise your affairs from now on
Thank you
hello @Dido51
a warm welcome to DTP

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
just wondering @Dido51
are you in Scotland, as many processes there are different from England, where I assumed you were
if so, might you add Scotland as your location on your profile ... we have members also from Scotland and they may then notice your location and have more specific info for you

Dido51

Feb 20, 2020
Thank you very much for your advice. I will try contacting the LA. Thank you also for welcoming me to the DTP. It’s a very good forum.