Grumpy OH

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hi folks hope you all having a better day than me. Been with my pregnant daughter this morning to get last minute baby shopping as she is due any day. OH in bed when I left early morning so I left a note because most days he doesn't get up till 2 or later in the afternoon. On return he was usual place reading paper in kitchen. No speaking when we got in as usual. Never asks our daughter how she is , so annoying. He thinks I have to be just sat in the house go nowhere & that is it so once again in the grumps. Daughter goes home then he starts shouting because I asked him where some keys were , I am every name under the sun including an idiot with a f before that. Then he takes himself off upstairs . My friend comes up we have a bit chat she leaves he comes back down goes in kitchen reading the paper again. Omg I just want to scream I am so sick of this existence. I text daughter & said what had happened. I am honestly thinking of just going in kitchen & saying to him I want him to go to a day centre because I am fed up of the way he is. I need some space it is soul destroying. As I have said before he always was a bad tempered person I always had to be careful what the baby comes.I said to him .like walking on eggshells & now this dementia. To be honest the way he acts now is no different to the way he has been all my married life which is 34 years . Apart from his memory & mobility. Well folks that's my moan over. See what tomorrow brings. ...
Poor you, I know someone married to a man like that and he does not even have dementia. A double whammy for you. Give yourself a hug and hold on to the thought of cuddling the new baby when arrives.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi Hopeful123, I also took my OH to day care and he seemed to enjoy it the next week I took him he refused to stay, so now I suppose we will just carry on doing the same things every day! Yesterday we went to Tesco, today we went into town to Asda, tomorrow we will walk to Aldi and 2 or 3 times a day we take the dog for a walk and sometimes I might fit in the cleaning. My life is so exciting. Lx
Not long ago, this year in fact, I felt dizzy with excitement because I had managed to escape to collect the laundry just down the road. Gxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I have a question. OH has needed an eye doctor appointment which means I have to take him. This has been put on the back-burner because I work full time and have had to take off for his neurologist, orthopedic, iinternist, physical therapy, etc appointments. His daughter took him to ENT thankfully. During the summer we worked 4 day work weeks so it was almost missing a part of a day a week. (oh, @Amethyst59 When do I have a chance to be ill?) There are no times for my regular doctor appointments. (Disclaimer: I am taking 2.5 days next week for a holiday/vacation. which cuts into me missing work.)
So today, we had to come to work early so we get to leave early. I called him and mentioned maybe there's an eye doctor appointment available this afternoon and I can get you in.. He said he has already made an appointment. It's Friday at 4PM. I work. Oh, it may be at 1:30PM. I work then too. "I'll get somebody to take me." Who is somebody? The assisted living may drive him, but they drop him at the door and a family member has to handle PWD throughout the appointment.
He said he had to hang up and I know he's eating lunch now, but I must discuss this with him. AND, hence there will be a big fight. I have got to stop letting fights with him bother me. And, of course, we are not supposed to fight with them. His unreasonableness is beyond challenging.
My support group at Alz Assoc met yesterday and it was discussed that I step away. He is in a home. Also, his daughters wanted to take control, let them worry about this. The new song I have in my head @kindred is "Let It Go!" I must let this go. Feedback appreciated, this means you @canary!
Ah, sweetheart, do you mean Let it be ... if not, I must look up let it go. Yes, step away, fights are too wearing, they jangle us. Let the daughters worry about it. See if you can. with love, Kindredxx

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
What lovely neighbours you have Rosebush.it’s so nice to hear such things. Not watched Animal Park, don’t know if I dare ‘catch up’ if it’s sad - I’m a bit of an emotional wreck at mo. Just had garden done, artificial turf & patios, I couldn’t manage it anymore with everything else.so decided to jet wash another old patio area,took me half an hour to get the thing going, worked out alright, then wanted to finish it off with a coat of stuff that helps keep it clean. Couldn’t manage to set the hand pump sprayer up, so gave it up as a bad job. So that’s another half finished job. I’m going on a bit here, sorry, I’ll close now, take care, hopeful 123
Hi Hopeful 123, got up late today, so didn't get to Aldi, and we've only managed 1 dog walk so far, so it's off to Aldi tomorrow, but the good news is eldest son is coming tomorrow, so that will break up the day, they have just come back from Devon(it's been nearly 3 years since I went away):( Well time to have that curry I took out of the freezer earlier.Hope you enjoyed your beef curry. Lx

Tinas7

Jun 5, 2018
Hello Mia

How are you feeling after your visit from your Great Grandchildren?
I had a visit from the boys today and thought of you during the laughter that they bring. They are such fun when they arrive full of their tales of the week.
They had both been fishing in the stream with daddy so lots of soggy sandals and how this happened.
Hopefully your GGC brought lots of joy to you and J. Does he know them?
Apologies I am presuming they are your they are your daughters GC when you look forward to them visiting. Please take care of you & J.

God bless xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
Hi Hopeful 123, got up late today, so didn't get to Aldi, and we've only managed 1 dog walk so far, so it's off to Aldi tomorrow, but the good news is eldest son is coming tomorrow, so that will break up the day, they have just come back from Devon(it's been nearly 3 years since I went away):( Well time to have that curry I took out of the freezer earlier.Hope you enjoyed your beef curry. Lx
Hi Rosebush, it does you good to have a sleep in on occasions. Got to enjoy the little pleasures when we can sorry to hear you’ve not had a holiday for three years, feel guilty now for moaning. I won’t be taking OH away anymore, just hope I sort something out to give me a break. Curry was I don’t seem to enjoy food as much as I used to, hark at me, moaning again. Take care hopeful 123

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Ah, sweetheart, do you mean Let it be ... if not, I must look up let it go. Yes, step away, fights are too wearing, they jangle us. Let the daughters worry about it. See if you can. with love, Kindredxx
"Let It Be" from the Beatles. "Let it go" from the Disney movie 'Frozen.' That One (la la daughter) came to visit him today. I was at work. When I called to check on him (figuring she had left town by then) they were at the Apple Store getting his phone repaired. I had bought it used and come to find out, it had an "invisible" protection screen on it. Now that it is removed, hopefully he can swipe it better and not get so frustrated. A texting conversation began with her sending me a photo of what was removed. And then she texted, "also, changed the eye doc to Thursday the 28th, 1:00. I'll take him." No matter what, I mean NO MATTER WHAT he would not change that eye doctor appointment. He had to go immediately. Yet, it's now changed. I also just got a text from him "Make it?" I called him and sweetly asked, "what did you think I was making?" Oh, that text was meant for That One (meaning did she "make it" home.) I don't get that kind of attention and concern. I quickly said "Oh sorry, I'll hang up". And I did. It's so weird. I will now sing "Let HIM go". He has dementia so it's not his fault, yet I am making sure he has all that he may need (dropped new wheel chair wheels off at 7AM on my way to work) but there is no awareness of it. I don't think I'll visit him for awhile. I'm hurt. (That sounds so dumb. Hurt by a PWD.) And my brain knows that he may not even understand how I feel. My heart doesn't know that though. My heart feels stomped on. AGAIN. Maybe he won't even miss me i.e. until he needs something.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
"Let It Be" from the Beatles. "Let it go" from the Disney movie 'Frozen.' That One (la la daughter) came to visit him today. I was at work. When I called to check on him (figuring she had left town by then) they were at the Apple Store getting his phone repaired. I had bought it used and come to find out, it had an "invisible" protection screen on it. Now that it is removed, hopefully he can swipe it better and not get so frustrated. A texting conversation began with her sending me a photo of what was removed. And then she texted, "also, changed the eye doc to Thursday the 28th, 1:00. I'll take him." No matter what, I mean NO MATTER WHAT he would not change that eye doctor appointment. He had to go immediately. Yet, it's now changed. I also just got a text from him "Make it?" I called him and sweetly asked, "what did you think I was making?" Oh, that text was meant for That One (meaning did she "make it" home.) I don't get that kind of attention and concern. I quickly said "Oh sorry, I'll hang up". And I did. It's so weird. I will now sing "Let HIM go". He has dementia so it's not his fault, yet I am making sure he has all that he may need (dropped new wheel chair wheels off at 7AM on my way to work) but there is no awareness of it. I don't think I'll visit him for awhile. I'm hurt. (That sounds so dumb. Hurt by a PWD.) And my brain knows that he may not even understand how I feel. My heart doesn't know that though. My heart feels stomped on. AGAIN. Maybe he won't even miss me i.e. until he needs something.
This is the problem isn't it, head knowledge and heart knowledge out of sync, I find it happens more when tired. Take care of yourself. Sometimes people instinctively take it out on the person they trust most because they trust them not to leave. Frustrating at best.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh my darling. Thank you, I haven't seen frozen but let it go seems the best philosophy here, even though the pain is so great. Oh course you can be hurt by a person with dementia. We are human beings, not machines. with love, Geraldinexxxaka kindred

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @MIA56 ,
I feel tired just reading how busy you have been this week.
Re the argument about the meds J. didn't want to take, my husband sometimes says he won't take them because he wants to die..And I answer he can feel free to die, if that is what he wants and leave the room.
OH ,too seems not to remember our arguments, but I wonder if he can't really remember or only pretends not to because he is afraid I may decide to leave him.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi Beads, we are coming up to 8 years now and my husband has no memory whatsoever. Everybody says how well he looks(probably meaning he’s not that bad really!) how wrong they are, where are they when he can’t find the fridge, the bathroom, the bedroom, can’t even make himself a cuppa, needs help with personal cleaning. Oh I could go on & on. I am now just starting to get into ‘the system’ and hoping to get some respite care sorted. He went to a day centre once, didn’t like it, wouldn’t eat, I took him again after we came back from our ‘hol’, after just over an hour they phoned me to pick him up as he was walking up the main road, going home. So that’s where we are. Will let you know on any progress, thank you, hopeful 123
Hi @Hopeful123 how are you, has he had no memory at all for all 8 years or just recently.I know what you mean about others thinking how well they look. It’s also because they put on such a show for them it makes us look like we have been telling lies . Then when they have gone they return to there Grumpy mode. Hence my thread. I think you have done remarkable to cope all this time on your own & to now just be getting some help. Hope when you do get respite sorted he goes ok. You need to look after yourself also.. My OHs short term memory is non existent now. He was only diagnosed 2016 However I know he has had this for 5 or even 6 years . He has Alz/vas . His mobility is limited it took him all his effort when we were on holiday to walk short distances. You take care Hopeful123 speak soon A x

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
Hi @Hopeful123 how are you, has he had no memory at all for all 8 years or just recently.I know what you mean about others thinking how well they look. It’s also because they put on such a show for them it makes us look like we have been telling lies . Then when they have gone they return to there Grumpy mode. Hence my thread. I think you have done remarkable to cope all this time on your own & to now just be getting some help. Hope when you do get respite sorted he goes ok. You need to look after yourself also.. My OHs short term memory is non existent now. He was only diagnosed 2016 However I know he has had this for 5 or even 6 years . He has Alz/vas . His mobility is limited it took him all his effort when we were on holiday to walk short distances. You take care Hopeful123 speak soon A x
Hi Beads. It’s been a gradual downhill,I used to have a weeks holiday with my friends but had to give this up 6 years ago- he would not have been able to cope on his own. Went out fir a meal with my friends about 4 years ago,was home by 10ish, but he’d been phoning my daughter to see where I was, so I gave that up too. Gave up my aerobic class as I came home one day & he’d dug a hole at side of our hut & emptied remains of a large tin of paint in it,covering it up with a layer of soil.I had to lay a paving slab over it. So it wasn’t worth leaving him. His memory has been bad for about 5/6 years to where we are now, non existent. I realized recently why he couldn’t do anything I asked of him- it’s because he no longer knows what the words are eg couldn’t put something on the table ‘cos he doesn’t know what a table is etc. My family are back from their hols now and been talking about how I must chase this respite up & even think of permanent care as I have no life of my own( feel selfish when I write that) I can’t see me going down that road yet, so we’ll see how I cope if we manage Day Care & respite. So that’s the position at the moment, heartbreaking, really, am welling up as I write. Must get a backbone! Thank you for your concern, take care hopeful 123 xx

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
@Hopeful123 I am so sorry that you are feeling like this but I don’t think you are selfish at all. I feel a bit the same as my husband gets worse and worse, can barely retain information for any length of time and I find it more and more difficult to leave him alone. My family have got back from holidays today too and when my daughter called I didn’t really want to tell her how he was and heard all about her holiday. This living with dementia really does your head in and a feeling of wanting some relief is only too human. I feel it too but he couldn’t look after himself and I couldn’t ask anyone else to undertake his care at the moment.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Morning all today we are supposed to be going to see my SIL she has the same as her brother my OH plus just before we went on holiday she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer as if she didn’t already have enough to contend with . She is in hospital & speaking to her daughter they didn’t think she would last this long she said the only godsend about her having dementia is she can’t remember being told of the cancer. She has been such a fighter over the years she has had 6 strokes 5heart attacks & a cardiac arrest & now this. Such a lovely person life can be so cruel. I hope when OH gets up he isn’t coughing & sneezing as he has been since coming back from France . I was gonna ring her daughter & say I think we should not come visit because of OHs cold, but I’m gonna go because next weekend could be too late . I told OH about his sister when I was told however he has forgotten. Will have to tell him again when we get there it’s a good hour & a bit drive. Certainly not looking forward to this so sad. Speak soon hope you all have a peaceful weekend. xx

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi Beads. It’s been a gradual downhill,I used to have a weeks holiday with my friends but had to give this up 6 years ago- he would not have been able to cope on his own. Went out fir a meal with my friends about 4 years ago,was home by 10ish, but he’d been phoning my daughter to see where I was, so I gave that up too. Gave up my aerobic class as I came home one day & he’d dug a hole at side of our hut & emptied remains of a large tin of paint in it,covering it up with a layer of soil.I had to lay a paving slab over it. So it wasn’t worth leaving him. His memory has been bad for about 5/6 years to where we are now, non existent. I realized recently why he couldn’t do anything I asked of him- it’s because he no longer knows what the words are eg couldn’t put something on the table ‘cos he doesn’t know what a table is etc. My family are back from their hols now and been talking about how I must chase this respite up & even think of permanent care as I have no life of my own( feel selfish when I write that) I can’t see me going down that road yet, so we’ll see how I cope if we manage Day Care & respite. So that’s the position at the moment, heartbreaking, really, am welling up as I write. Must get a backbone! Thank you for your concern, take care hopeful 123 xx
Hi @Hopeful123 you should not feel selfish at all I think you have done an amazing job looking after your OH for as long as you have on your own. You are to be admired bless you. You have not had any time to yourself for years you deserve it . I can understand it’s heartbreaking but you have to think of yourself now. You can still look after your OH if he was to go in care plus you would have time to do what you want to do. I think your life has been on hold long enough & now is the time to let the professionals take over. Who would look after you if you were to take Ill we have to think about ourselves .I know it’s not easy but do think about yourself now you deserve your life back you have done more than enough. You take good care of yourself thinking about you & sending (((hugs))) your way. Axx keep in touch.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
I
@Hopeful123 I am so sorry that you are feeling like this but I don’t think you are selfish at all. I feel a bit the same as my husband gets worse and worse, can barely retain information for any length of time and I find it more and more difficult to leave him alone. My family have got back from holidays today too and when my daughter called I didn’t really want to tell her how he was and heard all about her holiday. This living with dementia really does your head in and a feeling of wanting some relief is only too human. I feel it too but he couldn’t look after himself and I couldn’t ask anyone else to undertake his care at the moment.
I agree Grahamstown we are only human & it is normal to have these thoughts. I must have them numerous times a day . Axx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tfjala