Grinding Teeth

Lolly

Jul 21, 2005
Gravesend
Hi everyone. I've just found this site and joined immediately. At last somewhere to go with people who understand all the problems. Mum is 72 and in her 8th year of AD. Dad is 76 and cares for her at home. I help at every available moment I'm not at work. For the past 4 weeks mum has started grinding her teeth constantly, making a very loud noise. She has her own teeth and in good condition. Because of this the day centre she attended twice weekly has had to stop as she's upsetting the other members with the noise. We can't find anywhere else to take her - again because of the noise. Her GP is reviewing her medicine but doesn't know what to suggest. The SW doesn't know what to suggest. The Day Centre she used to attend doesn't know what to suggest...and so it goes on. Has anyone else had this experience? Surely mum can't be the only person in the world to do this!!! Any suggestions anyone.......... :eek:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Lolly,
Sorry haven't got any real suggestions. I'm in the same position. My mother has been clearing her throat for about a year and it is most annoying. We've had 3 throat swabs done, there's nothing wrong with her. I do notice on her better days she does it less.

The teeth grinding & throat clearing must somehow be connected with the disease. Doctors here can't figure it out either.

Joanne

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
I've always been a teeth grinder ( in my sleep) The only thing that helps is a teeth guard, you still grind but it doesn no damage and can't be heard. You might check with your dentist to see if he can insert a appliance of some kind that would prevent the problem.

zed

Jul 25, 2005
London
answer to teeth grinding

There is a solution- having a mouth guard fitted. Your dentist can do this, but they may charge you (depending on whether you are entitled to free dental treatment, or if it is seen as an NHS treatment). You can also have it done for free on the NHS. As your GP to refer your mother to an oral surgery department. Point out to your GP that grinding her teeth like this is probably causing your mother pain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet