Grief and depression

Talisker

Jan 25, 2020
Hello,
My darling mother has Alzheimer's and is presenting as increasingly sad and depressed. Her husband, my father, died in May 2019 after 65 years of marriage. My mother does not recall my father or his death now but rather thinks her own father has just died and her mother has abandoned her in a care home. She is still able to do crosswords, read the newspaper and participate in lively conversation but is feeling so sad and lonely. The family visit at least 3 times a week and she is always happy to see us however as soon as we go, or an activity is finished she retreats to her room and the sadness takes over again. She has lost a significant amount of weight and now weighs only 6 stone. She has also begun to scratch her face as she lies in bed. When asked why she just says she is really sad. Does anyone else have experience of this and any suggestions on how I can best support my mother? Thank you so much.

Wishy

May 27, 2016
Hi m y husband passed away last October after 15 yrs of alzheimers
The last three in a care home where he was treated with respect and wonderful care.
My question Is although I am trying to get my life back on track and struggling I realise my best friend who has always been there for me . Is becoming very forgetful . After what I have been through with my husband.
Am I being selfish by stepping back from the situation as my family are telling me to do .
As she forgets that I am still grieving for my husband
Yours sylv

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was wondering whether the GP might think that an antidepressant would help too.
Definitely speak to her GP

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi m y husband passed away last October after 15 yrs of alzheimers
The last three in a care home where he was treated with respect and wonderful care.
My question Is although I am trying to get my life back on track and struggling I realise my best friend who has always been there for me . Is becoming very forgetful . After what I have been through with my husband.
Am I being selfish by stepping back from the situation as my family are telling me to do .
As she forgets that I am still grieving for my husband
Yours sylv
Hello @Wishy my condolences on the loss of your husband it leaves a big gap in your life doesn’t it?
I’m sorry to read that your best friend is getting forgetful you must be very concerned about that, but also I can see you are worried about how that will impact on you.
Have you talked to your friend’s family about your concerns for her I wonder if that would help?