Grateful

fairy62

Aug 15, 2019
its been an interesting few days . OH wanted to go home even though he is in his home . I wonder if the brain can get tired , because he was quite stressed the last two days , even to the point that he thought I needed to see the doctor and I need to get sectioned , has anybody experienced this . He’s been asleep all day . I managed to go out and have my Carers assessment today , let’s hope it’s comes to be good news .
I managed to go and have a good day / night with the sisters on Saturday. It’s done me some good as I seem to have a bit more patience at the moment .
To all off you struggling I hope you get through it somehow .
God bless us Carers eh .

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
It's interesting that you say that this wanting to go home has happened after a couple of stressful days.

When a person with dementia talks about going home they are rarely talking about a place - the same goes for looking for a parent. The reality is that it is the feeling of security that existed in the parental home under the care of their parents that is being sought. The problem comes from an inability to comprehend and deal with the present confusion and stress created by dementia.

It may help to give general reassurance if you can't discover anything in particular that is the cause of the issue. A few questions may help you to find out what is wrong.

It's also interesting that your OH felt you needed to see a doctor. Your OH could be picking up your stress(people with dementia are good at reading emotion). Maybe a white lie to the effect that they shouldn't worry as you have the matter in hand, followed by a hug, would work.

Otherwise, a chat with the GP may help as depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia.

fairy62

Aug 15, 2019
I’m sorry , why interesting it’s not the first time he has wanted to go home , he actually packed his bags at one time to go to his mum and dad . Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying he’s making this up ? Don’t understand why it’s intresting

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I’m sorry , why interesting it’s not the first time he has wanted to go home , he actually packed his bags at one time to go to his mum and dad . Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying he’s making this up ? Don’t understand why it’s intresting
I'm not sure who you were answering with this post.

For my part I mentioned that it was interesting because the instance you wrote about happened after a stressful couple of days and that fits with what I explained about the reasons for this behaviour. It's a very real and common issue so you aren't making it up.

I tried to explain what is going on when this happens so that you can try to deal with it. If you don't find my explanation to be of any assistance please just ignore it - I was just trying to be helpful and wouldn't want to upset you.

Last edited:

fairy62

Aug 15, 2019
Thank you for explaining it better. And I appreciate all the advice I can get . So THnak you x