Grandmother wakes up scared

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Belleuosus, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Belleuosus

Belleuosus Registered User

Jan 8, 2016
    Mississippi
    Hello everyone. I'm new here and I have a question I hope someone can answer.
    I look after my elderly grandparents and my grandma is in the early stages of dementia (she's 85). Today she told me she wakes up a lot of mornings and doesn't know where she is (she's lived in the same house for 40 years) or who she is and gets scared. After a while she'll realize she's at home. I have witnessed her do this firsthand more than once.
    So my question is: Is there anything I can do to help her recognize her surroundings faster? Can I place an item within eyeshot that she will recognize quickly? A photo of her and my grandfather, or a small sign with the town name, something like that?
    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

A photo nearby may help.

3. copsham

copsham Registered User

Oct 11, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    I think we try all sorts of things. 90% don't work but it is worth trying for the 10% that does work. As she is in early stages is it worth making a poster saying something like "Goodmorning Mrs XX. We are at (address)" then add a family photo of you and them?

I think it is so good that she can share this anxiety with you. It shows what a good relationship she has with you. Good luck!
    :)

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello Belleuosus

Waking up was one of the times of most confusion when my husband was with me. I tried to make sure he was never alone when he woke so I could reassure him he was with me and safe. He was often frightened too.

5. mancmum

mancmum Registered User

Feb 6, 2012
    Voice alarm

It must exist ...an alarm that comes with a spoken message that you record. Hello gran etc etc. We have a message board for when we are outside the home.

6. Boldredrosie

Boldredrosie Registered User

Mar 13, 2012
    I don't have dementia but I think if I was awoken by a recorded message I'd be scared half to death or think I'd been incarcerated!

I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to add but we are facing the same issue. She regularly doesn't know where she is and in an attempt to reconnect her I showed mum a photo of my late father (they'd been married 50 years) -- she looked at it and said: "What that old man?"

7. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    I don't have anything useful to add either but a few photos seems good but a recorded message would scare some people and not others. Try everything. The only way we found was a personal hand holding reconnection - so difficult to bring someone back from somewhere we don't know they have gone to!!

I wonder if some of the people on TP who have a diagnosis of dementia and have actually had experience of this might help us out?