Grandmother recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's :(

Mimibear87

Feb 3, 2021
Southampton
First post!
We recently finally got a diagnosis of Alzheimer's for my nanny, ongoing memory issues for about three years! She got flu one year and then got encephalitis which damaged the front part of her brain, however nothing was ever picked up and we have been struggling to get a diagnosis for over three years!! They have finally started her on donepezil today but was wondering whether there was any vitamins/ omega 3 type supplements people have tried and tested? Many thanks x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Mimibear87 Welcome to Talking Point. Sorry to hear about your gran`s diagnosis.

Most people try to find remedies to supplement the prescribed dementia drugs. I doubt anyone will tell you alternative medicine has helped.

My husband was a big believer in alternative medicine and when he was diagnosed we spent a small fortune consulting practitioners in natural medicine. None of it made any difference.

A good multi-vitamin and omega 3 capsules shouldn`t cause your gran any harm, as will a healthy diet and exercise. Whether or not any of these steps will improve her condition has yet to be proved.

The donepezil has been shown to slow the progression of dementia so I would put my faith in that.

Meanwhile, I hope you will get replies from others, maybe tomorrow because it is quite late now which you will find welcoming and supportive.