Grandma

my little girl

Aug 23, 2007
Burnley
Family History

Dear Grandma

I am trying to find out about the family history of Joshua & compile his family tree! How I wish you were still around to ask! I wish I still had all my grandparents to ask whilst I try to trace the family back but I especially wish I still had you as out of them all it was your life story I loved to listen to most (although I would give anything for a day with all of you). Maybe it was because you lived longest that I was always interested in your life story & the family history on your side or maybe it was because you made it sound so interesting that I paid more attention to the things you told me. Just some of the things I recall are the death of my great grandparents when you were so young (both by your 9th birthday), the reaction of your sisters when you met & fell in love with my Grandad & the way one in particular spoke to you outside the church after you were married (all because he was a Catholic!!), the reaction of your father-in-law when he met you (the hat story always made me laugh), the pride you had at working 10 loom in Burnley (won't mean anything to most reading this but it means a hell of a lot to me - you made sure I knew what an achievement it was!!!!). The way you didn't like "Dad's Army" cos it took the mickey out of the home guard & Grandad was in the home guard. (I love Dad's Army & always think of Grandad when I watch it especially the last episode when they toast the members of Britain's Home Guard). All these things made you the strong & vibrant woman I loved.
But despite remembering all these things I still wish I could ask you more.
Mum has promised to take me to your parent's grave & once I know where it is I will take them some flowers as I have never thought your sister Lily was right over their reaction to you & Grandad getting married. They wouldn't have disowned you or turned in their grave like she said they would (it was awful of her to say that on your wedding day as well)! I honestly believe that if they loved you as much as I love Joshua they would have only wanted your happiness & it wouldn't have mattered if Grandad had had two heads, cos I know how much you loved him & how much he made you happy.

Forever

Your Little Girl

Last edited:

my little girl

Aug 23, 2007
Burnley
Dear Grandma

I am trying to find out about the family history of Joshua & compile his family tree!

Mum gave me a photo of your dad (unfortunately there are none of your mum). It is one I have always known (obviously as he died when you were 7, mum never knew him) but mum scanned it into the computer & zoomed in on his image. Dad was there and wondered what was wrong as we both burst into tears. The next thing I knew Dad was stood behind us & said to mum "I don't believe it - it's your mother with a 'tache". Once he said this both me & mum started to laugh cos it was true - the likeness was uncanny. Am telling you this so you know there are times when we miss you & times when we can remember you and smile/laugh too and just sometimes they happen at the same time!

Miss you & love you (as always)

Your little Girl

my little girl

Aug 23, 2007
Burnley
Great Grandma

My dearest Grandma

Just wanted to drop you a line to officially tell you that you are going to be a Great Grandma again. Joshua is due to become a big brother in April next year though I don't think he fully understands that yet.

Don't worry I don't expect you to be Guardian Angel to two!! You have enough to do looking after Joshua for me (and I know I've said this before but you really do do a brilliant job!!) If you can find the time to keep an eye on this one (when Joshua's around of course) I won't mind in the least but maybe somebody else (like Grandad?) could be this baby's Guardian Angel.

Anyway like I said just wanted you to know. I still feel like I wish you were around to see your great grandchildren but I know you are and always will be watching over us all from heaven. No doubt you already know this but Joshua regularly lights a candle for both you and Grandad at Church every Sunday. He is the one who insists upon doing so. When we get to Church and are about to sit down he turns to me & says "Candle for mummy's Grandad & mummy's Grandma" and I can't help but smile. Then he kneels in front of the statue of Our Lady & says "please look after my mummy's grandma & grandad Amen" Not bad to say he's not 3 for another week eh?

Thinking of you with fond memories as always

Your little girl

LIZ50

Mar 23, 2008
Hampshire
Hi My Little Girl

Just wanted to say congratulations on your exciting news and I hope that everything sails along ok with you.
My daughter-in-law is expecting another child in January and she told me a week after I had lost Mum in June. My son was upset that he never got round to telling his grandma but I told him that wherever she is right now she knows all about it and will be their guardian angel, just like your grandma is to you.
Look after yourself.

Love Liz xx

my little girl

Aug 23, 2007
Burnley
The best Grandma/Guardian Angel Ever

Oh Grandma - where do i start???

It's been so long since I posted anything on here.

well to begin with your second (and last) great grandchild was born in April last year & she was named Alice Charlotte. Mum cried when I told her the full name cos after all you were her mum - even if she didn't always show she cared i think she did deep down. So yes I named my daughter after you - Alice. (Though she is known as Charlie)

She is the most beautiful little girl God ever put on earth. at 8 months old her personality is starting to come through & she is so much like you - shes gonna be a fighter! She is gentle loving & boy is she stubborn!!!

Running out of time now but wanted to say an extra big thank you for being with us all on Friday in the accident. There is no way any of us would have walked away with such superficial injuries if you hadn't been in that car with us. I'll never stop being grateful for your help that day!!!!!

Love as always

Your little girl

Last edited: