Grandfather being diagnosed with Dementia

Chunky77

Dec 9, 2013
Hi All,

1st Time poster here. My grandfather has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. He had a stroke last year which they believe caused the on set.

I believe he is suffering from mild/latter stages. He is currently in hospital as had a bout of pneumonia, and seems to have good days & bad days. The bad days are very upsetting for everyone as he'll either just lay in bed crying, or not want to speak to anyone. Last week he believed he was in prison, and now he thinks he's back fighting in Korea.
There are days when he won't eat or drink, and days when he'll physically push people away.

Obviously this is very hard for everyone, my Nanna especially. What can I do to help her and my family. I have a psychological block that is stopping me visiting him in hospital so I want to do all I can outside of there.

TIA

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I looked under ctp.org.uk which was a list of charities for ex army personnel. If he fought in Korea then there are likely to be people connected with these charities who would go along and chat to him and see what help they could give.