Grandad has broken his hip.

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Well after the number of falls he's been having I suppose it was inevitable but it's still a shock all the same when the home called yesterday afternoon.

It's a really bad break and the hospital said Grandad has got a chest infection as well so he is on oxygen and intravenous antibiotics.

We're just waiting to hear now whether they will operate this afternoon.

The thing I found upsetting was the fact that the hospital decided to phone my Nan at midnight last night to ask her whether she wanted a Do not resusciate order put on his records!!! Now she's not in the best of health herself and to phone at midnight! The doctor was very callous in my opinion too. When Nan said that was fine, he said "Good, cos I don't fancy jumping up and down on a 85 year olds chest"!!!!

I don't know what it is with my Grandad but any bad news always seems to come on a special day. He had the emergency admission to the nursing home at Christmas and now on Mothers Day instead of enjoying time with my children I'm worried sick about Grandad. It my Nan and Grandad's 56th anniversary on Saturday and I've got an awful sense of foreboding (sp).

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandad breaking his hip. It is very common in older people unfortunately and it does make things more complicated if other health issues are involved. My mum broke her hip in November 2004. She recovered well from the operation but never fully regained her mobility unfortunately.

The doctor was completely unprofessional to speak to your nan like that, not to mention insensitive and uncaring! Does she know his name? I know that you may well not wish to put yourselves throught he additional trauma of making a complaint at the moment but it is something you may wish to consider in the future.

Keep us posted about how things go. I won't tell you not to worry because I am sure you will regardless of what anyone says!

Take care of yourself and I hope you do manage to have some good times today, despite everything.

Brenda

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Grandaughter 1 said:
Well after the number of falls he's been having I suppose it was inevitable The thing I found upsetting was the fact that the hospital decided to phone my Nan at midnight last night to ask her whether she wanted a Do not resusciate order put on his records!!! Now she's not in the best of health herself and to phone at midnight! The doctor was very callous in my opinion too. When Nan said that was fine, he said "Good, cos I don't fancy jumping up and down on a 85 year olds chest"!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your granddad. You must be so worried.

I can't believe the insensitivity of the doctor. A phone call, at midnight, to an elderly lady? I would think three breaches of guidelines.

I do hope your granddad improves, and you manage to have some happy moments with your children.

Let us know how he gets on.

Love,

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
The only reason I can think that he called about the "Do not resuscitate" was because they said he was in a really bad way in the night. He is less critical this morning but it's early days.

It makes you wonder if these people have got an ounce of compassion and common sense.

Well Nan was supposed to be finding out at midday whether the operation was going ahead and I'm still waiting for news.

Louise x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Louise,

I`m so sorry about your Grandad. Breaking a hip after a fall, although very upsetting, is a common occurence in elderly folk with weakened bones and joints.

What I sincerely hope is NOT a common occurence, is middle of the night frightening phone calls to elderly or vulnerable people, giving bad news, asking for traumatic decisions and making `smart Alec` remarks.

Although your Nan will be in no state to complain, I do hope someone in the family does, to ensure it doesn`t happen again.

I hope your grandad is comfortable.

With love

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANOTHER insensitive professional! Really, TP should be on the reading lists as COMPULSORY for all trainee doctors!! I can't believe that people with such high intelligence (needed to get into med. school) can be so thoufghtless and cruel - then again, maybe I can!:(

I sincerely hope the op. goes ahead and that your Grandad is not too uncomfortable. Thinking of you all - Nell

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Hi everyone and thanks for your messages.

Grandad had his operation yesterday and it was as successful as it could be. When Nan phoned this morning the nurse said he was eating some porridge so that's a good sign!!

Nan and my Mum and Uncle are going up this afternoon to see Grandad.

Thanks again for your kind words

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Granddaughter

So glad that your granddad has had his operation, and is OK. That must be a great relief for you all.

Let's hope he's soon recovered from his op.

Love

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Louise

Glad to hear that your Grandad is OK after the op.

I'd also like to add my anger at the truly awful comments made by the doctor to your Nan - and in the middle of the night!! - Truly shocking.

Love to you all

Libs

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Hi Louise, Thinking of you and hoping your grandad is more comfortable tonight. Your poor nan having someone ask her to make a decision at that time of a night. Hope things get better for you all. Best wishes, Janet

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Wonderful news about your Grandad! I hope your Gran can rest a bit while he is in hospital. Hoping all goes well from now on - Nell

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
So pleased to read that your grandad has had his op and seems to be doing fine.

So many pro`s can leave us speechless with their insensitivity, I wonder how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot?????

Take care Louise,
Best wishes,
Jan. X

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Hi everyone,

I went to see Grandad with Nan last night in the end as my Uncle couldn't make becasue his son had a sickness bug.

Grandad is looking very frail. He had a partial hip replacement (the ball part). He has got a bad chest infection and is on oxygen 24/7.

The nurse asked to have a word away from the bedside and reiterated(sp) how frail and poorly he was and wanted to make sure we were in agreement about the "Do not Resuscitate" order on his notes. I found myself being very calm about this as I had always thought talking about someone possibly dying would be awful.

I just kept looking at Grandad thinking that he has got such awful quality of life at the moment, why would he want to fight to live?

I tried talking to him but he couldn't really speak but then he did start groaning. I didn't know whether he was trying to speak or he was in pain. Every time Nan held his hand though, he gripped it really tight and pulled as if to say "come on we're going home now"

Sorry for waffling on, I could go on for hours. I don't know whether I should take my daughters in to see Grandad. They are only 5 and 9 years old. They have been asking about Grandad but I can't help thinking it might be best if they have the memory of Grandad sitting at home smiling in his armchair, rather than frail in a hospital (they haven't seen him since mid December)

Much love to you all

Louise x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry Louise, it is painful watching this slow decline.

Everyone is weak following surgery, and the after effects of anaesthetics, but when you are weak and frail even before the surgery, there`s so little reserve, to fall back on.

Only you can decide whether or not to take your daughters. Have they asked to see him?

I wish you all well.

With love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Louise

I'm sorry your granddad is so frail. At least he has got the op. over, and he may pick up again. At least he is being well cared for.

As for your daughters, they're still very young, and it might upset them to see their great-granddad so frail. What do you think? You know them best, and know how upset they would be. It doesn't sound as if your granddad would be aware of them, so you don't need to worry about upsetting him.

I do hope he is feeling a bit better today. Let us know, we'll be thinking about you.

Love,

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Hiya - I thought I'd post an update.

Well Grandad was being described as "comfortable" by the hosptial staff until yesterday when Nan got a call to say Grandad had fallen out of bed!!!!!

I am so dumbfounded. Apparantly one of the other patients raised the alarm. He was sent to x-ray and all seemed to be OK (thank god!)

The funny thing is I actually mentioned to Mum the other day that he had no rails and that Grandad kept trying to pull himself up and was fidgeting around in bed.

We were told that they don't use bed rails because the patients can then use them to pull themselves up!!? Is this common practice?

Louise x

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi Louise,
So sorry to hear about your Grandad - it has brought it all back to me as we went through very similar with my Mum last year.
Regarding the bed rails I know that the nursing homes are very, very reluctant to use them as they say if the patient tries to climb over them they can sustain worse injuries than if they fall out of a bed without the rails - but I insisted that my Mum have rails as she was so weak and frail she had not got the energy to climb over the rails - I had to sign to say it was my decision - she never tried to climb over them.
As for the hospital, when I asked for the rails they were quite happy for Mum to have them but they also had to pad the rails with cushioning as Mum used to rattle them all night long!!!!
My mum had a hip repair op. but because of the dementia she had no idea and when the Nurses came to move her she used to scream so bad that on occasions I had to go out of the ward as I could not bear to hear her - she must have been in pain but she was on pain relief.
I do hope all goes well with you Grandad - I am thinking of you all.
Take Care
Carolann

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Carolann said:
My mum had a hip repair op. but because of the dementia she had no idea and when the Nurses came to move her she used to scream so bad that on occasions I had to go out of the ward as I could not bear to hear her - she must have been in pain but she was on pain relief.

Wow, that is really weird that you mentioned that! When I was visiting Grandad the other day they said they had to change his dressing and turn him. I waited outside and he was shouting "No" really loudly over and over again - bless him. I think he just wanted to be left alone and didn't appreciate being mucked about with. After they had finished, Nan moved his oxygen mask to give him some water and he started getting stressed and shouting again - I think he'd just had enough of being manhandled. I can sort of understand why he is not eating or drinking as I think he has just had enough and run out of energy.