GPS Technology - does anyone use it and does it work?

Harp

Sep 19, 2013
My gran has recently become more prone to wandering off and we've had to call the police on one occasion. Luckily she was found quickly and was cared for very well by the police but we want to prevent having to call them again and I've been looking at a selection of GPS trackers.

Has anyone had any experience with these types of things? do they even work?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
My gran has recently become more prone to wandering off and we've had to call the police on one occasion. Luckily she was found quickly and was cared for very well by the police but we want to prevent having to call them again and I've been looking at a selection of GPS trackers.

Has anyone had any experience with these types of things? do they even work?

I have no experience of them but have read quite a number of posts on this site from people who have found it has given their loved ones more independence but also being safe in the knowledge they know where they can be found.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...or-not)&p=811099&highlight=tracker#post811099

You may find this helpful.

simpknt

Jan 8, 2013
Yes, they work

Hi,

Yes, they do work and very well. My partner, Janet, is in an advanced stage of Dementia and was prone to wandering off and getting lost. She was brought back by the Police many times!

I bought an expensive GPS Tracker costing £180 (only the best for Janet). All I have to do is dial its mobile number, let it ring twice and hang up. After a minute the tracker sends a text with a Google Maps link. It's better to use a smart phone because I just touch the link and her position appears on a Google map. You can type the co-ordinates into Google Maps if using a PC. It also has a big SOS button as well as a built-in mobile phone with two buttons for preset telephone numbers. Janet was never interested in using the gadget's facilities. I have chased her around Deptford with it and successfully found her on umpteen occasions. If no GPS signal can be found (inside buildings, for example) then the text is headed 'before'. It also sends a low battery warning text. Battery life is good and lasts for a week. The device is the size of a matchbox and Janet is fine with it around her neck on a lanyard, along with her ID tag. I use a GiffGaff SIM and pay £7.50 a month for unlimited texts and 200 free minutes. There's no cost when calling the device as you hang up before it 'answers'.

All in all an excellent device and an invaluable addition to my Keep Janet Safe armoury. You can buy cheaper trackers, but I don't know how good they are.

Best Wishes,

David

Harp

Sep 19, 2013
Thank you for the info, its really helpful.

It's hard to know what to buy as the trackers seem to vary so much in price. I've just found one from america that looks good as it can only be switched off remotely and can hold medical records and all sorts. It's seems mid range (£120ish) so might go for it. I'll try and post a link once I've got it.

Kazbaz

Jun 24, 2013
Some of these gadgets are really amazing and we were offered a trial of one called Mind Me, which from the sound of it works very much the same as gadgets previously mentioned. However, my Dad hated this and telecare because he has a problem with things that need to be kept plugged in and things which have either a flashing or a continuous light on them. I dont think this is entirely dementia related, i think its his generation not being terribly used to gadgets but the dementia did not help him be able to grasp the positive side of it. Possibly we will revisit them in the future but for now we leave him as he is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976