GP's Could Diagnose Dementia with Three Simple Questions

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
But what are these three questions?

This is the extract from PULSE.

In a study of over 200 men, the team found that three questions in particular – on finance, planning and reasoning – were useful for ruling in a diagnosis of dementia, in simplified questionnaires that were at least as accurate as the mini-mental state examination.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
But what are these three questions?

In a study of over 200 men, the team found that three questions in particular – on finance, planning and reasoning – were useful for ruling in a diagnosis of dementia, in simplified questionnaires that were at least as accurate as the mini-mental state examination.

I agree a bit more detail would be helpful, but can't find it at the moment.

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Interesting article, thanks for sharing, Grey Lad.

Can't help noticing the comments posted by GPs and GP partners. Maybe they all have a bit of gallows humour going on, and I know we certainly find humour at this stage in our AD journey, but I actually think the comments are pretty tasteless, don't you?

EG

Beate

May 21, 2014
London

I agree a bit more detail would be helpful, but can't find it at the moment.

Yes, thanks, I read that but it didn't specify the questions.

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
Yes, thanks, I read that but it didn't specify the questions.

One issue with the MMSE is that it is a proprietary item and a licence feee has to be paid each time it is used. As many on here will know, there are other tests (Montreal, Addenbrooke's, etc). I can't help but wonder if this is an attempt (a) to creat a market for another test and (b) show GPs there are affordable alternatives to the MMSE.

W

Last edited: