GP's Could Diagnose Dementia with Three Simple Questions

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by Grey Lad, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    But what are these three questions?

2. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    This is the extract from PULSE.

In a study of over 200 men, the team found that three questions in particular – on finance, planning and reasoning – were useful for ruling in a diagnosis of dementia, in simplified questionnaires that were at least as accurate as the mini-mental state examination.

3. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    This is the extract from PULSE.

In a study of over 200 men, the team found that three questions in particular – on finance, planning and reasoning – were useful for ruling in a diagnosis of dementia, in simplified questionnaires that were at least as accurate as the mini-mental state examination.

I agree a bit more detail would be helpful, but can't find it at the moment.

4. Early Girlie

Early Girlie Registered User

Jul 5, 2015
    St Albans
    Interesting article, thanks for sharing, Grey Lad.

Can't help noticing the comments posted by GPs and GP partners. Maybe they all have a bit of gallows humour going on, and I know we certainly find humour at this stage in our AD journey, but I actually think the comments are pretty tasteless, don't you?

EG

5. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Yes, thanks, I read that but it didn't specify the questions.

6. Wirralson

Wirralson Account Closed

May 30, 2012
    #7 Wirralson, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

One issue with the MMSE is that it is a proprietary item and a licence feee has to be paid each time it is used. As many on here will know, there are other tests (Montreal, Addenbrooke's, etc). I can't help but wonder if this is an attempt (a) to creat a market for another test and (b) show GPs there are affordable alternatives to the MMSE.

W