Gp questioning why a person with dementia cant just have results over the phone

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Having tried for two weeks to get a phone appointment so i could be there to assist my dad that has dementia with kewy bodys..and failed my dad had an appointment which my sister took him to to in person today..

He was told by the gp you dont really need an appointment for this i couldve told you over the phone.
My sister not having any experience of dementia as i am main carer didnt question this.
If theyd bother to look at the things i tell the gp like he couldnt remember things and cant understand when people are talking to him. Hes also deaf so telling him over the phone would be totally inappropriate

Is it so hard for medical professionals to stop for a minute and think outside the text book box!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Shocking and clueless. Though sadly it is not at all uncommon for medical professionals to be clueless when it comes to dementia. They may well think they understand, but often still have no idea of practical realities, i.e. of how memory loss actually affects everyday functioning.
I have known a GP say it did not matter if someone couldn't remember verbal instructions, because they could be written down for them. No clue that the person would very likely not remember to look at the piece of paper, and even if they did, could well forget whatever it said before they'd had time to do whatever it said.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I have known a GP say it did not matter if someone couldn't remember verbal instructions, because they could be written down for them. No clue that the person would very likely not remember to look at the piece of paper, and even if they did, could well forget whatever it said before they'd had time to do whatever it said.

In my Husband's case that would have been a totally useless thing to suggest by a GP as he stopped being able to read (apart from authors names :confused:)during 2009. Dementia is so hard to deal with-a useless GP makes it a whole lot worse. Dementia training for all GP's? I don't think so:eek:

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
My husband can't use the phone and he can't understand the written word. Fortunately his GP understands dementia having lost her mum to it. Dementia training for GPs and all medical staff is essential.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan