GP involved in Mother's care

srim

Mar 13, 2015
My Mother has demntia. We set up a NOMAD as she was overdosing her medication and she has carers for medication prompts. My Mother agreed not to visit the GP without one of the family accompanying her as she forgets facts / gets muddled up and is a poor historian. She is also under the care of the CPN and treated for severe anxiety. Recently she took herself to the GP unbeknown to the family (she didn't want to bother us). The GP advised her to cease taking Lorazapam and gave her a prescription for antidepressents.
My issues:
-gave her a prescription when she has a NOMAD
-knows she has dementia
-advised stopping the anxiety meds
My Mother has consented (and has capacity to to do so) to GP / surgery staff discussing her care with my sister and myself. One staff member advised that we must put this in writing, signed by Mother, yet another informed us that we need Power of Attorney - who is right? HELP :confused::confused:

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Welcome to Talking Point Srim.

I am afraid I am not in a position to advise you with regard to the POA. From what you say you are in a very grey area with your Mum. Whilst she is quite capable of making decisions for herself in her eyes, you know different. Cant you have a word with the surgery on the quiet about this. I am quite sure that you wont be the first to have come across this problem and you will not be the last. I am not quite sure what NOMAD is. I certainly intend to find out just what this entails. If the surgery is aware of this I am a bit surprised they have taken her word regarding prescribing but please go back to the surgey. It may ease your mind.

I am sorry I cannot help further but rest assured that some body on Talking point will answer you very soon.

Keep your chin up.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
A "NOMAD" is a nominated advisor I think, it's not a widely used term and as far as I know has no formal status within healthcare, it's more used in financial circles.
I never had POA for my mother but the doctors never questioned me or my wife taking her for appointments, however, with the non medical staff it was different, I can only guess there is nothing telling them that my mother lacked capacity.
K

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
I think the NOMAD referred to is a medication dispensing box, whereby a person's daily prescriptions are placed into separate compartments to be taken at the correct times during each day, and marked as such.

So to then be given a new separate prescription to potentially be taken ad hoc by a patient who might be getting muddled by numerous medications could well cause a whole new problem - and somewhat disappointing coming from a medical professional who should know the patient's medical background from their notes!

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Oh yes Mum used to have the dosette system. We had all manner of problems with it. She use to hide the box, or not take her meds or take too many. If people live alone and do not really understand or can recall what they have taken , it can be a problem. In the end we had to hide the box ourselves and the carer and family members had to administer twice a day.

You only have your Mums interests at heart and it wont hurt to go back to the doctors. As said what has happened is wrong.

Last edited:

srim

Mar 13, 2015
A "NOMAD" is a nominated advisor I think, it's not a widely used term and as far as I know has no formal status within healthcare, it's more used in financial circles.
I never had POA for my mother but the doctors never questioned me or my wife taking her for appointments, however, with the non medical staff it was different, I can only guess there is nothing telling them that my mother lacked capacity.
K

A NOMAD is a medication 'system' - measured doses of daily medication for a.m, lunchtime, teatime, p.m etc...These are made up by the Pharmacist every month and carers prompt my Mother from the NOMAD to take her meds; - each dose is in a blister pack - prior to having this system in place my Mother was messing up her meds - taking them at the wrong times, the wrong doses etc...

srim

Mar 13, 2015
K

Capacity is decision specific though. A person can have capacity to make a decision re; one thing, but maybe not another. I think my concerns are more to do with this GP practice in particular...we have an appointment this week. I'll take it from there. Just wanted to get some feedback from this forum before I went in. (I am new to this). Yes a NOMAD is a dosette system and is marvelous, has solved many issues.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976