GP insanity ..... Is this official complaint level?

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
Mum has mixed vascular dementia, Alzheimers, depression, anxiety and now having daily hallucinations. Following GP home visit 4 weeks ago Dad takes Mum to GP surgery for 'follow-up'. Mum's paranoia sets in, refuses to let Dad go in ( too tired to argue). Mum comes out with new prescriptions, gets filled in at chemist in surgery and comes out with new medications. We have no idea what she told him, what they are etc and she is already on a new finely balanced medical plan from Psychiatrist. Is it me or is it just b****y ridiculous that GP has done this without consulting with anyone? Dad taken tablets off her but nasty fight to do it.

I'm thinking, complaint, change GP surgery, register POAs with new surgery, instructions to consult with us before prescribing and/or instruct to never see alone? Have I missed anything?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Your dad could read the leaflets accompanying the tablets to see what they are for and then phone the surgery for an explanation if he has any queries.

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
Your dad could read the leaflets accompanying the tablets to see what they are for and then phone the surgery for an explanation if he has any queries.

Grannie you are right and I asked him this yesterday evening but he is just at the end of his tether. I will be sorting this bit out later today but as Mum makes up things, forgets everything, fabricates things and is seriously on such a mix of tablets, including new ones the Consultant arranged a few days ago ( which experience tells us will probably not even be on GPs records yet) it just seems irresponsible without checking with Dad at least. GP has been arrogant, dismissive and ignorant throughout but we have kept him in the loop because he is still someone she recognises. It's that balance again of protecting v dis empowering.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
IT sounds to me as if your dad needs more help than he`s getting Janey. He seems so frustrated and worn out by the challenges your mother is presenting, the fact the doctor doesn`t seem to be cooperating is making things worse.

Will he ask for help or does he believe it`s his role to manage single handedly.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If you have PoA's then the GP will talk to you, and hopefully explain their reasons.
But I fear that to get a sensible outcome, you will have to accompany them into the surgery, and sit in on the appointment, the GP may actually be relived to get truthful answers, and sensible questions.

Complaint wise, I would discover the GP's view first, remember they can only work with what they are told.

Bod

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
You can, as Bod suggested, go and talk to the GP or you can talk to the Practice Manager (who might also be the surgery PALS person). Whatever, I think you are right to want to get this sorted. Getting more help for Dad is a separate, and equally important, matter.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
I think the GP was in a difficult position if your mum went into the appointment alone - how was he supposed to consult with your dad first if your dad wasn't there?

I'd start by taking all the medication to a pharmacist and ask whether they would be expected to clash with each other, so that you can start with a better idea of whether there is a problem before you rush to make a complaint.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Is it possible that during your mum's visit the gp did talk to her consultant and discussed her medication. This is what usually happens when my mum sees her gp. I have slowly come to the conclusion that whenever there is a problem with my mum now, unless it is physical, I shall be contacting the consultant direct. check the medication packaging, if the information paper has disappeared.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum has mixed vascular dementia, Alzheimers, depression, anxiety and now having daily hallucinations. Following GP home visit 4 weeks ago Dad takes Mum to GP surgery for 'follow-up'. Mum's paranoia sets in, refuses to let Dad go in ( too tired to argue). Mum comes out with new prescriptions, gets filled in at chemist in surgery and comes out with new medications. We have no idea what she told him, what they are etc and she is already on a new finely balanced medical plan from Psychiatrist. Is it me or is it just b****y ridiculous that GP has done this without consulting with anyone? Dad taken tablets off her but nasty fight to do it.

I'm thinking, complaint, change GP surgery, register POAs with new surgery, instructions to consult with us before prescribing and/or instruct to never see alone? Have I missed anything?

I appreciate how you are feeling.
My Mum has AD & dad has cognitive impairment. I have POA for Health & Welfare for both of them, but only Mum's has been activated of course. I also have authority registered with our GP practice that I can be given information and discuss results on Dads behalf. I also do both of their medication boxes and our GP knows this.
I go into every appt with Mum, and try when possible to go in with Dad.
Last time, it wasn't possible for me to go in with dad as I had to look after Mum.

GP prescribed a new tablet for Dad.
When asking Dad what it was for he said it was for his feet?
Asked him what the side effects were. He couldn't tell me.

After ringing the practice, turns out Dads blood pressure has been elevated twice now, and combined with latest blood test results and Dads swollen feet ( which I never knew, as I don't see his feet) his GP put him on blood pressure tablets.

Just makes me so angry, that if I wasn't overseeing their medication that the GP could have them on anything, and if they experienced side effects I would be wondering what on earth was happening :mad:

jemacy

Sep 13, 2015
GP Insanity

I am so sorry to hear of your problem. My mother is in a care home as she suffers with dementia and we have been at odds with them over medication for over 5 years now. I have POA and speak to mother's GP regularly to check that the Home haven't changed her medication. I check everything online as information on the medication is freely available. I have insisted that the GP change medication when I found out it was not recommended for someone in her situation. I'm afraid it is a long hard road which takes a lot of time and effort but if you have POA use it and don't be afraid of the GP. Under no circumstances should she see he GP on her own. If you have POA you can insist on attending with her and don't be afraid to insist on a full explanation of the drugs, what they are, how they work, why they are being prescribed and the side effects. Hope this helps.

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
Sorry I haven't thanked everyone for their replies but in truth I had a huge meltdown myself last week - been busy coping for everyone for so long, just didn't see the impact it was having on me. The only good thing out of this is I told Dad how my worries and concerns for him and Mum had spilled over and he has acknowledged they need to accept help. A lot happened to move things on since my initial post, but in brief;-
Discovered that the prescription was for a full month of Mum's usual medications (anti-depressants, anxiety meds, sleeping tablets etc) . GP had believed her when she said she had run out even though (and I have checked with the Mental Health team) he has had detailed regular up-dates confirming her diagnosis and that all medications are now prescribed via a national chemists in blister packs for Dad to give Mum. They agree GPs actions, whole attitude over past 3 years etc, warrant at minimum 'raising concerns' or if we choose, a full complaint. Mum could so easily have self-medicated as she has in the past if Dad hadn't hidden these from her. Dad has agreed all this and agreed a change in surgery required.
Dad has agreed to accept help on a daily basis at home; assessment in two weeks. We are going to 'use' Dad's poor mobility as the leverage for a 'housekeeper' to get Mum out and about as he is struggling to drive and walk.
POAs being registered with all relevant people in next week.
Visiting more local homes after a lot of research to look at those highly recommended so possible respite for Mum but more to the point, part of Emergency Planning for future.
Mum's hallucinations continue and as suggested above, we are learning to enter her world and recognise how lovely it is that she again feels so close to her Mum and Dad (died 30 years ago) and what a special relationship she must have with them - sadly she usually eventually remembers they have died but thinks it is only recent so becomes very sad but we keep remembering the positives and reflecting the love and caring. One major change is Mum no longer gets angry and 'fights' us on this - just needs, and gets, a lot of hugs and holding.
Had a lovely few hours on Saturday reminiscing over the past on a '3-generation girls' trip out' with my daughter and Mum but it was so sad to see how the memory problems are now stretching back further still.
Thank you for listening, just needed to bring this up-to-date.