GP dismissed/minimised my concerns

fromnz123

Aug 2, 2019
UK
I first went to the GP July 2019 to discuss my concerns about my OH. His response was “my father in law is a bit like that “. He saw my OH and prescribed anti depressants.

Fast forward to August 2020, several other conversations with GP which again minimised.

OH banned from driving due to severe sleep apnea, and following face to face cardiologist appointment, cardiologist has written to the GP asking him to arrange “memory/psychiatric testing as Mr N is not as sharp as he used to be”!
Alleluia!!! At last we may get some answers!!!!

fromnz123

Aug 2, 2019
UK
So six months on, after an assessment with the Dementia Nurse , an MRI and an appointment with the Psychiatrist , he is now being referred to a Neurologist for Frontal Lobe and No Pressure Hydrocephalus!!

I spoke to the Psychiatrist yesterday and she apologised to me that my concerns had not been taken seriously sooner, apparently if you don't fit the classic dementia criteria it can be a battle

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has he got had memory problems after a mini-stroke in jan 2019. it was only because i asked the GP straight directly[after my husband had given me permission] has he got vascular dementia that she was a bit shocked and said that he had some kind of dementia and hadnt realized that she had not referred him to the memory clinic. he had had a MRI scan so it was easy after that. if i hadnt asked?????