GP Dementia Care Pathway

Eve44

Oct 9, 2018
My Dad has vascular dementia. Two years ago, he was referred to the memory clinic by his GP for diagnosis and Mom, his carer, went on a short carers course run by the memory clinic. Since then the GP has only dealt with physical health issues for M and D. I am aware that the GP should provide a dementia care pathway. Can any one advise on what the GP dementia care pathway is and what it could or should be doing for both Mom and Dad who are in their mid 80s. Your advice and wisdom will be gratefully received. Thank you.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My Dad has vascular dementia. Two years ago, he was referred to the memory clinic by his GP for diagnosis and Mom, his carer, went on a short carers course run by the memory clinic. Since then the GP has only dealt with physical health issues for M and D. I am aware that the GP should provide a dementia care pathway. Can any one advise on what the GP dementia care pathway is and what it could or should be doing for both Mom and Dad who are in their mid 80s. Your advice and wisdom will be gratefully received. Thank you.
My mother-in-law was diagnosed in 2015 via the memory clinic. Her GP simply continued to prescribe medication and had no further input in her care. As my mother-in-law was in a London borough the memory clinic referred her to the dementia hub who later contacted me to give me some advice mainly around social care . My mother-in-law was self-funding so we simply organised the social care that she needed.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I must admit that I've never heard of this and just looked it up.

Since my wife's diagnosis the GP has concerned himself with physical issues alone but, when I request referrals, has referred us to the local care team. In turn, the care team have then made referrals to OT, SALT etc as well as completing needs assessments. Over the last 9 months we have has good input from the various teams.

Maybe it would be an idea to ask your GP for a referral.

I have found that the process is a bit disjointed and one needs to be proactive as they don't seem to come to you.

I would have little doubt that different regions perform differently.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH saw the memory clinic consultant 3 times in 6mths (one of those we requested and was to do with getting his driving license back) then he was discharged to our GP. Nothing happened for a while until I registered myself as a carer then the mental health nurse got involved, set in motion referrals to carer services such as Carers Emergency Response Service and needs assessments.

However after that we only have contact about his dementia once a year both from the surgery and the memory clinic re medication reviews.
Otherwise it's just dealing with situations as when they crop up but our surgery are very good never quibble about coming out see OH and are happy for me to ring them at any time to discuss any concerns I have.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Whatever a dementia pathway is, surely it's to do with the memory clinic rather than the GP? We were seen twice a year, then the consultant wrote a report to the GP authorising them to continue prescribing the Donepezil.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This is the only documented pathway I can find

It includes a pathway diagram
Pathday-page-001.jpg

Eve44

Oct 9, 2018
Thank you all for your advice, experiences and research. I have recently contacted the local admiral nursing team to get mum and dad support along with other support we have arranged through a variety of people, friends and family. However, I didn’t know really whether the GP should be involved more and what are the services they can offer from the practice. From your replies it seems to me that they will refer to specific agencies as and when things crop up rather than have an occasional time set aside to discuss the dementia separate to other physical needs. It looks like the gp dementia care pathway is an aspiration rather than protocol to be followed at diagnosis . Best wishes to you all.