GP charging for council tax letter

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
I have just asked for a form from the local council re council tax waiver for people with dementia to be completed by Mum's GP. My understanding was that there should be no charge for this to be completed but I have been asked for £20. This is in Scotland, if that is relevant. Can anyone advise me if the charge is usual, please.

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
So I have just answered my own question!! Apparently the BMA don't allow practices to charge for this - does this apply in Scotland too? If so I am really annoyed!

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Thank you so much, Nitram! It's not the money - but the principle - Mum's GP is pretty useless, apparently - certainly they do next to nothing for her. I did query the charge but was told that only jury duty forms are exempt. This is any area with a large elderly population so the surgery must be making a fortune!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I would complain strongly, get the letter and then given what you have just said I would change her GP

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
ahhhhhhhhhhhh ok sorry I thought you said GP was useless, my bad apologies

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Depending on the size of the practise it might not be the GP directly, it may be that admin staff need some training.
It would be interesting to know if others are repaid the illegal charge and also if no charges are levied in the future.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
No charge from my GP and indeed other things I've asked for him to sign there has been no charge even when he could have.

Dearie Me

Feb 2, 2012
Scotland
I definitely wasn't charged- Grampian NHS Trust.

It's so exasperating that we all have to research and check every single detail......

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Fizzie - the GP is useless but Mum is confused enough without changing - though she maybe wouldn't even notice..Lack of available practices in the area too. But I definitely intend to make a fuss about the charge when I go to collect the form - as I don't want to pay and then maybe never get the money back. I will wait until the form is in my sweaty little hand first though!!

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
I had sent the form in with an SAE - always seem to be busy with Mum and I received a phone call saying that I would have to go in to collect it as there was a £20 charge. When I queried that the person on the phone was absolutely adamant that this wasn't supplied without charge. Maybe poor training but it is a large practice and, because of the area, they must receive quite a number of similar requests.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Print out the links given. They can't really argue with them but if they do, say you'll report them to whoever they are governed by plus your MP and the Daily Mail. They would have to be pretty stubborn to insist after that!

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
I wasn't charged for the form for my council (my mother now lives with me), but her council - property on the market - required a letter. Doc charged fifteen quid for the letter, even though he copied what I'd suggested he write!

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
I live in Scotland and my sister's GP provided the necessary letter for the Council Tax Waiver without charge. He has also supplied other supporting letters for me without charge.
Good luck with your complaint

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I wasn't charged for this but they did charge for a letter for the Court of Protection. Scandalous. X

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Depending on the size of the practise it might not be the GP directly, it may be that admin staff need some training.
It would be interesting to know if others are repaid the illegal charge and also if no charges are levied in the future.

Our GP is often directed by admin to charge for services which she feels is part and parcel of being a family GP and providing a service to patients. I doubt very much whether she knows the rules and regs precisely - but she refuses to levy a charge and we certainly did not pay for the Council Tax rebate certificate to be completed; nor for her to certify mental capacity when it came to sorting out Power of Attorney.

I frequently fill out Council Tax rebate forms for carers (in Scotland) and none of them has been charged for the countersignature by the GP. Which region are you in?

I hope you get an apology. I think you've just done other carers in your area a massive service!