GP change/left/retired/sacked?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum has had a letter saying that the local NHS primary care partnership are taking over as provider of services. When I looked them up they seem to be Mental Health and district nurse services but not GPs.

The letter refers to all contracts being limited and when they run out the contract ends and NHS England reviews the services. It says she will still continue to be treated at same practice. There are drop in sessions at her GPs next month to explain the changes.

This all seems really odd to me.

Does it mean there has been an issue or is it a new way of delivering GP services?

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
I had the same several years ago with my GP. The practice had been run by a guy in his 60s and his wife who both retired, no one to take over as their son, the best GP I've ever had, unfortunately died of a heart attack aged 45. The practice got taken over a year later by a company and after some teething troubles is now OK.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Thanks for that - Drs I'd seen weren't that old so not retirement causing it.

When I registered mum at the practice there were 3 or 4 Drs, I noticed last time on the letterhead there were only 2 and I know one of them was part time so perhaps they've given notice as they can't recruit someone and were having to use locums (eg very expensive).

I signed mum up to that practice as it is the nearest one to her, but whilst her assisted living flats are nice, the area adjoining them is by a long way the worst in Ellesmere Port and hence one of the worst in Cheshire/Wirral (the area covered by the NHS trust) so that probably causes issues.

My lovely GP said she would welcome her on her list - I am about 2.5 miles away, but I sort of want to keep things separate and much easier for me to pick mum up and pop down the road she lives on for blood tests etc than travelling 15 mins across town. I'll see what happens. Must admit I do worry about parking my car outside surgery, the shops built to regenerate the area are all vacant with the exception of an offenders rehab place.

Demonica66

Oct 23, 2014
Hi. I work for a community partnership that has just taken over a huge GP practice after they were found not fit for purpose by the CQC. The country is short of 10,000 GP's and they cannot recruit. Budgets have been slashed also. Taking over of GP surgeries by private and community enterprise services will become more common. Sad but true. If you log on to the CQC website, you will probably gain more insight by being able to read their inspection reports. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513