GP asking me for advice on Dad's Treatment

Kath TN

May 5, 2006
I had a telephone call from my dad's GP to ask me what was to be done about my dad's worsening mental state!

GP saw my dad for the first time in several months and was alarmed by his rapid deterioration and asked me what I thought we should do about it and what treatment I would like dad to receive!

Can't believe it - if I knew the answer to that one I'd have done it months ago!

Sorry - just needed to get that one off my chest!

Helena

May 24, 2006
Actually I think its extremely thoughtful of your Fathers GP to ask your opinion

After all its you who will be the one who has to make the decisions on whats left of your Fathers life and his care .

Much better this way than Doctors acting like Gods and dictating to you

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Yes, it would be useful to have more doctors who actually LISTEN to friends/family instead of saying "nothing serious" as if the people closest to the patient were all inventing things.

Lila

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Kath TN said:
Can't believe it - if I knew the answer to that one I'd have done it months ago!

hi Kath, I guess that's true of the GP too. Much as some of them like to give the impression that they know it all ...... they don't! At least it sounds like this one is willing to "not know" alongside you and try to work with you. I've no doubt it was a shock, but in the long run you've probably got a better deal with this GP, than many of the others :)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have been reading your other thread, was wondering dose your dad get any support from social services and medication do you know what option you have when it come to the care / support of your dad and yourself as a carer?

Maybe that what he was asking, but doctor seem to presume you should know what support you can get for AD ones they have been diagnosed with AD

Last edited: