GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TO PETITION

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I work part-time. I would love to work full-time (and have the chance of a more financially secure future for myself and my children), however if I did my teenage children would then be left to care for their father. Would the Government then consider that they CHOSE to provide care? - At least it would be a cheap option for the Government, since they are too young to qualify for a Carer's Allowance.
Indeed, and what about all the thousands of young carers caring for their disabled parents without support. Is this a choice. Gosh, this is so awful isn't it. Kindred.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You might be interested to note that here (Rep of Ireland), the full rate of Carer's Allowance is €214 per week if you are under 66. If you are over 66 (you, the carer, that is, not the person you are caring for), it's €252. Yes, that's per week. And you get our equivalent of National Insurance credits as well, so you don't miss out on State pension entitlements. It is Means Tested, and you have to be providing full time care and attention to the person. You are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week, but you must ensure that you provide alternative care for the person while you are out. In addition, there is an annual Carer's Support Grant which at the moment is around €1,700, and is paid to the Carer to use however they wish. Obviously, not everyone qualifies for it, but tbh, I feel it's quite generous, and it is in recognition of the fact that the Carer is unable to work full time, and also is providing essential care services that would otherwise have to be provided by the State.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
You might be interested to note that here (Rep of Ireland), the full rate of Carer's Allowance is €214 per week if you are under 66. If you are over 66 (you, the carer, that is, not the person you are caring for), it's €252. Yes, that's per week. And you get our equivalent of National Insurance credits as well, so you don't miss out on State pension entitlements. It is Means Tested, and you have to be providing full time care and attention to the person. You are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week, but you must ensure that you provide alternative care for the person while you are out. In addition, there is an annual Carer's Support Grant which at the moment is around €1,700, and is paid to the Carer to use however they wish. Obviously, not everyone qualifies for it, but tbh, I feel it's quite generous, and it is in recognition of the fact that the Carer is unable to work full time, and also is providing essential care services that would otherwise have to be provided by the State.

and my family come from the Rep of Ireland ( Avoca in Co Wicklow) perhaps I should go back......

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I have to say that I would not expect to be paid for what I do. I am retired and have an occupational pension plus the state one even though the tax man robs the state one. .
I would be in 100% agreement of a carer of employable age getting rewarded for their caring as they might be sacrificing their career in order to look after a loved one.
I agree, I have a daughter who had planned on giving up work at 60, she thought it would give her more time for her grandchildren one has cancer and for us. Now she has to continue until 66, our other daughter 68. The latter supports her father in law who is house bound. Both may manage on the minimum wage as a condition of caring. It would be flexible, caring and cheaper for the local authorities.
Pre NHS families had more skills handed down in caring, I wish there was more training. A sort of National Service in social care as a qualification. Now in my eighties I can cope with the caring companionship, the monitoring, the general household chores. I struggle with the physicall side purely because of my own health needs. Volunteers are very thinly spread these days.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, there are lots of variables, but it is the principle of being recognised as a carer that I find encouraging.
Yes, there are lots of variables, but it is the principle of being recognised as a carer that I find encouraging.
I think that's what is so important. Our Health Service is in chaos and waiting lists are insane. For some things, you could literally be waiting over two years. But it's that thing of Carers being officially and publicly recognised and acknowledged for the work they do, and the billions they save the State, that means so much I think. It can be all too easy to lose any sense of self worth when you are isolated, and nobody appreciates or even acknowledges the amount of work or the skills involved in caring full time for someone.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I think that's what is so important. Our Health Service is in chaos and waiting lists are insane. For some things, you could literally be waiting over two years. But it's that thing of Carers being officially and publicly recognised and acknowledged for the work they do, and the billions they save the State, that means so much I think. It can be all too easy to lose any sense of self worth when you are isolated, and nobody appreciates or even acknowledges the amount of work or the skills involved in caring full time for someone.

Exactly, LadyA - when a Social Worker or Care Manager tries to express sympathy and misses the point..... I suggest to them, how would they like it if they turned up for work one day and their office was locked and there was a note on the door saying they no longer had their job, but they were now a nuclear scientist, go over to the lab and start work without any training.......... that is what I feel like, one day I am in my own business as a genealogist, delving around in the past and the following day, I have no business, am dealing with a stoma without any prior knowledge or training on my dear partner who has not a clue in the world what is going on. In my case it was the pure unadulterated SHOCK of it all. He had non elective emergency surgery to save his life and then 3 weeks later diagnosed with moderately severe dementia ! Attitude from the medics and ss is like 'deal with it.'

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
I’m 65 my OH is 67 it’s hard we have OH work pension so easier than if we were much younger, though writing this today I feel positively ancient. Daughter working tonight so babysitting a 2 and a half year old and a 1 and a half year old tomorrow whilst she gets some sleep ready for her next shift tomorrow night I will be shattered !

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I am almost 62 with another 4 years before I collect my state pension.

Dad is not going to last another 4 years so what happens when he dies.

I will be a 62 year old ex barmaid with a degree in geology so should I expect to be inundated with job offers. Perhaps I can go on job seekers allowance. Am I eligible for unemployment benefit when caring ends.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I am almost 62 with another 4 years before I collect my state pension.

Dad is not going to last another 4 years so what happens when he dies.

I will be a 62 year old ex barmaid with a degree in geology so should I expect to be inundated with job offers. Perhaps I can go on job seekers allowance. Am I eligible for unemployment benefit when caring ends.

Hi I'm way off pension age,but I was talking to a chap years ago and I'm sure he said you can claim pension credit at 62,maybe that's changed

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I’m 65 my OH is 67 it’s hard we have OH work pension so easier than if we were much younger, though writing this today I feel positively ancient. Daughter working tonight so babysitting a 2 and a half year old and a 1 and a half year old tomorrow whilst she gets some sleep ready for her next shift tomorrow night I will be shattered !

Good for you I hope they are little angels,I managed to escape the terrible 2's as they call it with my boy

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi I'm way off pension age,but I was talking to a chap years ago and I'm sure he said you can claim pension credit at 62,maybe that's changed

Thank you @witts1973 Yes it seems to have changed. You can't claim pension credit until you are of pensionable age so I still have another 4 years with no money coming in.

To be truthful I will manage ok. My husband has a good pension and we have savings, I have a small NHS pension and also when dad dies I will get a substantial inheritance but it could so easily be different.

If I did not have savings I would be totally reliant on my husband for the next 4 years and I am sure there are plenty in that position through no fault of there own. What if my dad did not have anything of worth to leave to me. Not all dads do.

There are a lot of what if's but it is certainly true that carers get the short straw while saving the government a fortune.