Got home - visiting dad in hospital.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hi all good people,

Hope you're no too bad this week.

So, I've go home and seen dad. Went in straight from my flight. Was very shocked to see how he is. Lost a lot of weight, looking very frail and old. He was in a chair. Sleeping a lot. We had a chat for 15 mins approx. Was drifting in and out. Kept asking were I was staying . He had a bit of clarity. Shooed me out saying he was tired. He didn't seem especially happy to see me. No real emotion.
Went yesterday and he was in bed with his clothes and shoe's on and dressing gown. Very unsteady on his feet. Spoke to a Dr which was great. His eating is very poor, and liquid. Was very agitated and stressed last Friday. The Dr was worried about self -harm or him harming someone else. Given his history while in hospital. They gave him something. He's on a low doze antidepressant. He's not safe to be at home on his own. He's on the waiting list to the local Elderly Psych ward.
I don't think he going to die this week for example, but I thing maybe in the next 6 months.
Any ideas on the whole situation? His 90th is on 4th January.

Thanks for listening. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So glad you got home to see your dad @garfield3 . The sooner he can be properly assessed and moved to a suitable care home the better. I have no experience of managing this, but I guess others that have will be along shortly with their experiences.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @garfield3

It can come as a shock to see them when they get to this stage and unfortunately there is no knowing how long it will go on for. It might be 6 months, or it might be only a few days, so Im glad you managed to get back to see him.
Im sure he will be more comfortable once he is moved
xxx