got CHC from Welsh NHS, can we move MUM to England?

bazaar17

Aug 19, 2013
Hi, We have just fought and won initial 3 months CHC for our mum, we now have to find a nursing care home as the home she is currently in does not provide this service.
My brother has found a care home which would suit her needs, but it is in England ( close to him).
We have been told by panel, that they may now block a move as they would be reluctant to fund someone in a different area.
Is this allowed? It feels like we have been fighting for this and then get dictated to about where our mum can be cared for.
thanks for any advise.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I think it does have to be in the same county, but there may be exceptions. My mum has to be in her county even though my parents live right on the border and it takes nearly an hour to get to mum's care home. To put her in another county would actually be more convenient for dad but it isn't an option.

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
Hi, We have just fought and won initial 3 months CHC for our mum, we now have to find a nursing care home as the home she is currently in does not provide this service.
My brother has found a care home which would suit her needs, but it is in England ( close to him).
We have been told by panel, that they may now block a move as they would be reluctant to fund someone in a different area.
Is this allowed? It feels like we have been fighting for this and then get dictated to about where our mum can be cared for.
thanks for any advise.

My recollection is that the national guidance is clear (and I will post a link when I can find the time): your mother has a right to a care home placement anywhere in the UK. However, CHC complicates things slightly and that may be affected by the funding. (There wouldn't be a right to move your mother from - say - Powys to Surrey and expect your Welsh health board to pick up the difference, so, in practice, it may be impossible or at least dependent on the costs involved.)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
You may have to go through the CHC process again as different CCGs vary in how they decide on the funding, never mind a different country.
Also, what happens if and when the CHC is taken away.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman