got a real shock today

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Not only now do i have just the worry about my husband. Got the home fees today and how much is to be paid. Its been backdated 3 months bill for over £1800 its taken nearly 4 months for Council to get back. I can't afford this and it will put me in dept. They say £660 a month is to be paid. I haven't seen how they worked it out or even signed anything. The Nursing Home received a contract from the Council though but i haven't signed any agreement. This is the First i knew about costs. Surely this isn't right. I still have the house bills to pay which is now impossible. It was such a shock i was shaking and in tears. So much for health and social care.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Chip you need to insist on details showing how they arrived at the figure you are expected to pay. It should be explained to you so that you can understand it, and then you can ask if you are expected to get into debt in order to pay it.

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
fees

Hi, The same happened to me right on Christmas. A social worker was there and mentioned top up fees. I said I don't pay, he's fully funded. She said I think you will find he's not and I think you will find you have to pay it and I said and I think you will find I can't! I did get a letter requesting the money from the council with their apologies for not asking me for the £60 per week top up fee before but also a bill for £2,571.21. At the end of the letter it did say I could ring a number and person and I could arrange to pay in installments.

Hope that helps - in some way.

Sue

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
They said it goes on his pension. I have never been asked how much i need to live of. I only get DLA as i get asked are you married---yes---- how much does your husband get---- blah blah--- you have too much coming in so cant get benefits. I never have been asked how much is paid out in Nursing home fees for him.I have told Social Services this as well. Getting a phone call on Monday. As i haven't entered any agreement surely this isn't right

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Don't think instalments will help as if i have to pay £660 a month this will leave me very short a month i can only pay 3/4 of it, or i will end up in dept. As for the back dated payment only a bit of that can be paid. They have really put me in it.

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
fees

Chip, many people will know more than me about this. Steve is only 57 so not receiving pension but as I understand it, they take their pension and leave them with a small amount. I really can't be surre about that. It seems different wherever you live, a friend of mine in Yorkshire was asked if they could pay £100pw top up fees for her father and they said no and then they heard from the same home a few weeks later, could they afford £10 a week top up! Seems ridiculous. I was supposed to be paying £60 per week for Steve's top up fees and he went into the home on 14th March last year and for a couple of weeks just before Christmas he got Nursing Care because he had fits (he's got Continuing Care now so I don't pay a penny but this is reviewed about 3 monthly) but I only heard about me supposed to be paying this £60 a week when the social worker was visiting him at the home. As I said, they have apologized for the delay but they wanted £2,547.21 (the first figure I gave you was wrong) and said in the letter, "I understand from the social worker that you may wish to pay the money in insallments, if this is the same, ring The Debt Recovery Controller. I fortunately managed to pay the whole sum but I was ready to ofer them as little as posible per month, they can't have it if you haven't got it!

I also receive Incapacity Benefit for Steve even though he's in the home full time and disability living allowance, the mobility component. I have rung many times to make sure that this is right and they're not paying me money I shouldn't have and they have written and confirmed it's correct. Mind you, they told me that with the Job Seekers Allowance but I didn't have to pay that back because I had been telling them for 4 months that they were paying me too much. Have you been to your Citizens Advice or One Stop Shop or even a carers support worker for the alzheimer's society?

Sue

117katie

Dear chip

I agree with Twink/Sue. Can't pay; shan't pay; won't pay. So don't sign anything until and unless you understand what it is all about.

Followed by: explain how you arrived at this sum; explain how you never involved me in the costing of this care home charge; explain to me how the social worker never involved me in the decision-making process as to which home might be affordable, and above all else, explain why I might need to starve myself to pay it.

Talk to Citizens Advice Bureau or Age Concern or the Scotland equivalents. Isn't Scotland meant to be better than us folk in England at dealing with these things?

Ask for help, advice, support from whomever you can find in Scotland near to where you live. I know nothing about the Scotland systems, so wait for Hazel to appear and she will guide you, if you're lucky.

Wish you lots of luck

Katie

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
fees

Sorry, forgot to ask, is your husband self funded then if you are supposed to pay £660 per month? You really do need to get proper advice asap and I am sorry this has happened on a Friday and you have all weekend to worry about it, this is what always happens to me.

Sue

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
I believe that as a married couple they are only supposed to take half of his pension into to account when they work out what, if anything he is to pay. You are entitled to the other half.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jackie, that only applies to an occupational pension. They can take retirement pensions (though chip's husband is too yourg for that) and some other benefits. Even Attendence Allowance disappears in Scotland.

Sorry I've no good advice for you chip. As the LA has a contract with the home, you have to take it up with the finance dept. There should be a name and number at the bottom of the bill for you to ring if you have problems paying.

Good luck,

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I have had nothing from the local authority. The Bill was from the Nursing Home as they had just been notified how much i was to pay, but they didn't notify me. No he isn't self funded. I tried to get continuing care but was told he didnt qualify and got no explination. He now 3 months after going into the NH has severe swallowing problems prefers to try and wander than eat thickened soft food. He also falls is weak and thin. He is 100% dependant. The NH have said he needs one to one. He also takes myoclonics and took seizures the meds stopped the seizures but thats what the NH have been told to reduce so he might take seizures again but this time he is very weak.NHS say he doesn't qualify for continuing care yet he has had asperation pneumonia due to his swallowing problems,myoclonics, seizures, asthma, severe weight loss, high falling risk i don't no what it takes to get continuing care. The NH say they are struggling to look after him. Scotland is bad SS are even worse where i am and this is supposed to be the capital.
I wasn't given any choice in choosing a NH ok i was he goes there or they will put him anywhere, as this was the only one who would take him due to his age and he is the youngest one in the unit. I was cornered into it got no option.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Chip, sorry, I assumed your bill was from the LA, as I get my bills for John from our LA.

I still think you need to take it up with them, as they placed your husband there. As you haven't signed any agreement, they need to assess you properly and give you a contract for the amount you have to pay.

I think you should ring the finance dept first thing Monday morning, and ask to speak to someone urgently.

Do you still have your advocate? They might be able to help you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015