Got a phone call from carer.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Just settling at home and looking forward to a shandy. Then I got a phone call to say dad had been sick twice. Dad had remained in bed all day today at his request. They got him out to use the commode but couldn’t get him up using the Sara Stedy so had to use the Stand Aid as he is too weak. It has now been changed on the care plan to use the Stand Aid for the commode.
I arrived to find him looking flushed but quite chirpy. Apparently he has brought his medication up as well.. He is quite confused and keeps confusing facts but he is safe.
I have asked them to keep him in bed tomorrow but I bet he will want to get up. Always the opposite is dad. If he gets up he will be sore and wanting to go back to bed as he always does now , just after dinner.He is heading towards being bed bound but there is nothing to be done. At 88 we can only do what we can do.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I’m wondering if he has a temperature? Possible infection, urine or chest? It seems from your previous posts his decline is accelerating now @TNJJ. The kidneys could have deteriorated further too during this time. That would cause nausea. It all sounds pretty grim & difficult.…unfortunately nothing you can do but report any concerns to GP & see what tomorrow brings.
It must be very difficult for you to switch off mentally having both parents health issues to cope with. Hope you can find some way of taking ‘timeout’.
Just read it was your birthday so belated happy birthday wishes!

Last edited:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I’m wondering if he has a temperature? Possible infection, urine or chest? It seems from your previous posts his decline is accelerating now @TNJJ. The kidneys could have deteriorated further too during this time. That would cause nausea. It all sounds pretty grim & difficult.…unfortunately nothing you can do but report any concerns to GP & see what tomorrow brings.
It must be very difficult for you to switch off mentally having both parents health issues to cope with. Hope you can find some way of taking ‘timeout’.
Just read it was your birthday so belated happy birthday wishes!
Hi! Yes it could be his kidneys etc. He doesn’t have a temperature but there is fluid in the lungs.The doctor came up last week to check him. No infections just general decline. No further sickness overnight.
Dad has these bouts occasionally especially when there is a build up of fluid in the lungs. He is already on Furosemide and cannot tolerate any more. I will keep an eye on him today. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It really doesnt sound good , does it? Yes, keep an eye on it, but if he doesnt improve, Id get back to the GP

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi! Yes it could be his kidneys etc. He doesn’t have a temperature but there is fluid in the lungs.The doctor came up last week to check him. No infections just general decline. No further sickness overnight.
Dad has these bouts occasionally especially when there is a build up of fluid in the lungs. He is already on Furosemide and cannot tolerate any more. I will keep an eye on him today. Thank you for the birthday wishes.
Dad spending another day in bed. Declined to get up. Too cold . Warmer in bed?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad got out the bed yesterday but declined to get up this morning. “ Too cold”! The carer asked him and he said “no”. He”s happy and contented. He is eating better. Not very much in the morning but at lunchtime he has had homemade cottage pie and then chocolate moose. He is now having a food link whilst watching tv.
Apparently he gets really grouchy in the afternoon ( already knew this) so I wasn’t surprised when the carer told me. 13 hours in a chair is too long. Apparently now dad is not weight bearing very well. That’s going to be fun?.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Dad got out the bed yesterday but declined to get up this morning. “ Too cold”! The carer asked him and he said “no”. He”s happy and contented. He is eating better. Not very much in the morning but at lunchtime he has had homemade cottage pie and then chocolate moose. He is now having a food link whilst watching tv.
Apparently he gets really grouchy in the afternoon ( already knew this) so I wasn’t surprised when the carer told me. 13 hours in a chair is too long. Apparently now dad is not weight bearing very well. That’s going to be fun?.
in the same position? no wonder he is a bit sore. cant they alternate between chair and bed? probably more comfortable in bed with the mattress being better.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
in the same position? no wonder he is a bit sore. cant they alternate between chair and bed? probably more comfortable in bed with the mattress being better.
I tend to put him for bed rest when I’m there. There isn’t enough carers. Dad tends to move more in bed. Apparently his bottom is not so sore now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27