Gordon Brown: Insurance could free the people from fears on old age

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by Margarita, May 25, 2008.

1. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #1 Margarita, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
    What do you all think of this ?

Can read the rest in this link http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article3919700.ece

2. MX5

MX5 Registered User

Jun 4, 2008
    CAMBRIDGE
    At last .....

I think this is an excellent idea - certainly insurance is a good route to go. It needs to be compulsory a bit like NIC contributions so that everyone has to insure themselves for old age. With people living longer the % of people suffering from dementia will increase.

It's sad to see those close to you suffer and stand by and watch them go into decline and, when unable to care for themselves, have to go into residential care, then any assets over the currently "low" threshold eroded by the existing system.

Insurance would ensure adequate income to provide improved conditions in residential care and quality staffing, which is currently lacking.

3. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hmmmm! Sounds very woolly to me! I'll reserve judgement until he comes up with a few details.

Hmmmm again! Sounds as if it will continue to be left to families.

OK, I'm an old cynic!:D

4. christine_batch

christine_batch Registered User

Jul 31, 2007
    Buckinghamshire
    I wonder which people were on the Public Constitution of Care ?
    If you are lost - ask a Policeman
    If you are sick - ask a Doctor
    If anyone needs information about Caring - ASK A CARER!
    Christine

5. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    I'm a bit ambivalent about this, in part because here in the USA that's the preferred option. True, medicare kicks in when you've exhausted every asset, but you're talking shared room etc.

I have myself a long-term care policy. It only covers me for around 6 years of care, but the money can be spread over many more years than that by paying for care in my own home. Some policies don't do that: you have to enter residential care in order to get payment.