1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Goodnight Godbless Mum

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by VickyG, Aug 3, 2014.

1. VickyG

VickyG Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    Birmingham
    I lost my beautiful mum on friday morning...... 8 years of Dementia took it's toll and she has left us with a huge hole in our hearts.
    I'm happy to say, through the last 7 months of her life, i was able to care for mum 24/7 after taking her out of care back in January of this year. It's the best thing I've ever done and I'm sure somewhere, deep down, mum knew what i did, and she was content in her final months, days and hours. She left us peacefully, and without struggle or pain, and i think that will be enough for me, to always see me through the sad times.
    It still hasn't really sunk in, and i suppose it will take time.

Goodnight Godbless mum, love you forever xxxx

2. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    So sorry for your sad loss Vicky. How lovely for your Mum to be at home with you and to have such a peaceful passing.

Take care of yourself and wishing you strength in the days ahead,

Jay

3. Jess26

Jess26 Registered User

Jan 5, 2011
    Kent
    My sincere condolences to you and your family. It sounds as if your dear mum couldn't have had a better passing.

4. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    So sorry for your loss. Also wishing you strength to deal with all that follows in the days, weeks and months ahead. xxx

5. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm sorry to hear you have lost your mum. Sending my condolences.

6. SisterAct

SisterAct Registered User

Sorry to hear about your Mum Vicky.
    Thinking of you and your family.
    Luv
    Polly and Barb
    xxxx

Attached Files:

7. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    My thoughts are with you Vicky.

It's good to hear that your mum left you peacefully. I'm sure that you're right about her last months - at some level she will have known that she was being cared for by you.

8. Wolfsgirl

Wolfsgirl Registered User

So hard to lose a parent, I am very sorry for your loss.

9. grobertson62

grobertson62 Registered User

Mar 7, 2011
    Sheffield
    So sorry for your loss.
    My condolences to you and your family

10. Pigeon11

Pigeon11 Registered User

Jul 19, 2012
    So sorry to hear about your Mum VickyG but glad her suffering is over. It must be so hard to lose her but I'm sure she was in the best place and that she somehow knew of the love and care she was getting. Take care

xxx

11. garnuft

garnuft Registered User

Sep 7, 2012
    You stood by her through to the end Vicky, I'm sure it will give you some comfort in the constant time you will spend missing her.

Keep remembering that you did the very best you could for her, it will give you space to grieve.

Strength and peace x

12. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Please accept my condolences Vicky.

13. sunray

sunray Registered User

Sep 21, 2008
    Female
    East Coast of Australia
    My condolences too VickyG. You did the right thing by your Mum and I am glad she was able to be with you and your family for the last few months. No mean feat on your part to look after her, well done.

14. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Vicky, I thought I had posted here but I think it must have been on Kassy's thread.
    I am so very sorry that you have lost your mother.
    Please accept my sympathy. I am so pleased that you were able to care for her at home during her last months. I am sure it helped her. x

15. Dustycat

Dustycat Registered User

Jul 14, 2014
    North East
    Sorry for the loss of your Mum. I lost my Mum 10 weeks ago to dementia. The time has flown by already but I miss her every day. Take care and stay strong. Xx

16. SoundsNorthern

SoundsNorthern Registered User

Jul 4, 2014
    Barnsley
    Condolences Vicky, you are a star

17. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    I also posted on a previous thread.

How are you doing Vicky?

Just want to know that you are as OK as possible at this terribly sad time

Love from Lyn T XX

18. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    I'm so sad to hear about the loss of your mum Vicky, but am pleased to know her passing was calm and peaceful.

19. VickyG

VickyG Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    Birmingham
    Hi,

Thank you far asking after me, I guess I'm just going through the motions of everything.... All arrangements have been made, a million phone calls etc.... It just feels strange, mum not being here anymore :( Suppose it's going to take time.

Thank you once again Lyn xx

20. VickyG

VickyG Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    Birmingham
    Thank you

It's so kind of everyone to leave a lovely comment for me. It's still not quite sunk in that mum's no longer with us. Mum used to say that time is a great healer, so i guess i will have to believe that.

Thank you once again

Vicky xx