Goodnight Dad

Pennyc

Nov 26, 2020
Today we lost my dad. He was due to go to a care home as we could no longer look after him at home. He went to hospital as he had an infection. I knew he was on his way as he had all the signs that I’ve researched.
Sleeping loads
Not eating
Incontinence
Aggression
The hospital called me this morning and both me and my mum got there in time.
I held his hand and told him it was okay to go. He took his last breath and went.
I’m heartbroken but at the time glad he’s no longer in pain and dementia has let him go x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am sorry for your loss @Pennyc . I am glad that you and your mum were able to be with your dad at the end, I am sure you will both draw some comfort from that. Wishing you and your family strength and peace.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You know that you did the best you could by keeping him at home and caring for him as long as you did. Although he ended up in hospital you and your Mum were beside him to the last. Hold on to those positive thoughts to help you through the coming days.

Thinking of you.?

Sheelagh7

Feb 25, 2022
Condolences @Pennyc, it was lovely that you were both able to be with him at the end and good that his suffering is now over. Hopefully you & your mum can now take time to grieve and then start looking to the future.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry for your loss Pennyc, I hope you both are able to get some comfort in being with him at the end.
Take care and sending hugs x

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Sorry for your loss Penny - as the others have said, it's good that you were able to be with him at the end and I hope that will bring some comfort to you and your mum in the days to come. ?

Jessie107

Aug 11, 2016
Brighton
I am sorry for your loss, I lost my mother to Alzheimer's 23rd February this year.
Unfortunately I am bedbound and wasn't able to be with her at the end.
Take comfort in the fact that you were able to be with your dad at the end.
Wishing you well.