Goodbye my love .... John died today

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You are so organised, Scarlett. Hope the op won't be too painful although it sounds nasty. My dau had one on her foot a couple of years ago. Probably not the same but she said the relief was incredible...but you have already been there with your other foot. Will be thinking of you.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Two years ago, I had an op on my right foot. Last year I had an op on my right knee. This year I'm having the op on my left foot. I have to have further toes operated on, on the right foot at some point.

And then I have the joy of the torn tendons on the right shoulder to be sorted out. :D But on Monday, oh joy, I'm going for a check up to the dentist. :)

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Joe has finished with this for decades, and it always makes me tear up. It's also a very popular funeral song. John and I saw Marty, Joe, Eden Kane and John Leyton, for several years running in something called "Solid Gold", and very entertaining it was too.

Marty would always finish this by reading out the names of Rock 'n' Rollers who had passed, and sadly, and inevitably, the list got longer and longer. I first saw Joe Brown, when he was 19, at the Wyckham Hall in Romford. :D

Oh Scarlett you bring back such wonderful memories: 'Well I ask You' and 'Johnny Remember Me'. They don't make them like that any more! I remember when we were kids our fascination with Joe's ability to play his guitar behind his back - Hava Nagila (sic) I think.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Wow Scarlett. You are really going for it aren't you. As you sat, what joy, a dental appt but I prefer that than going the hygienist. She can reduce a hardened old woman like me to tears.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I found out yesterday that 'Johnny Remember Me' was written in a pub near me called The Roebuck.

I've seen Joe Brown play at Knowl Hill Steam Rally. It was a huge event held every year near Maidenhead in Berkshire. There was lots of Steam engines and steam organs (Calliope), stalls and entertainment and a funfair. He played on a Friday or Saturday evening in the 70s or early 80s - he must have been quite a showman if I remember him from my childhood as I wasn't particularly interested in the music. Mum took me to see Tommy Steele in concert as well. She went off him because he wouldn't come out to sign autographs, perhaps he said something rude?

I loved the steam organs, could watch/listen for ages especially if they had a lot of moving parts.

Sorry to go off on a tangent in your thread, Scarlett.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Sorry, truth, but I had to smile at this --

"but you have already been there with your other foot."

Scarlett could hardly have gone without it -- could she?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I still have the programme for The Mammoth Rock and Roll show held in the Odeon, Southend on sea in 1962. Marty Wilde, Joe Brown, Carl Denver and.others whose names escape me at the moment but top of the bill was Billy Fury. I did like him and still play his CDs. He died so young.

Joe Brown used to live near us before we moved here. His daughter went to the same secondary school as my daughters. Nice girl apparently.

Last edited:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Sorry, truth, but I had to smile at this --

"but you have already been there with your other foot."

Scarlett could hardly have gone without it -- could she?

:D:D:D Oh those happy far off days, remembering Joe, playing his guitar behind his head. :) He was with the Travelling Wilbury's at some point, I think, and would play an array of stringed instruments, finishing with a weeny guitar.

In the early 1960s, Eden Kane would appear in a white suit, and because I was a bit of a groupie in those days (;)), going to places like the Granada East Ham, Edmonton and Walthamstow, and even as far as Finsbury Park at one point (!), and managing to get to the front of the audience, Eden would give me a special wink :rolleyes: when he sang "I don't know why I love you like I do".

I wasn't the slightest bit worried about walking around in strange places with my friend, in the pitch dark, hitching a lift if we missed the bus. :D

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
:D:D:D Oh those happy far off days, remembering Joe, playing his guitar behind his head. :) He was with the Travelling Wilbury's at some point, I think, and would play an array of stringed instruments, finishing with a weeny guitar.

In the early 1960s, Eden Kane would appear in a white suit, and because I was a bit of a groupie in those days (;)), going to places like the Granada East Ham, Edmonton and Walthamstow, and even as far as Finsbury Park at one point (!), and managing to get to the front of the audience, Eden would give me a special wink :rolleyes: when he sang "I don't know why I love you like I do".

I wasn't the slightest bit worried about walking around in strange places with my friend, in the pitch dark, hitching a lift if we missed the bus. :D

Lovely memories think you must have been a Groupie Scarlett. Any secrets you are withholding from us?

Corriegal

Feb 7, 2015
Goodbye John............

Our loved one's have special ways in letting us know they are at peace. The time you spent together was so precious to you both and to be admired. Think about the happy times you shared and the smiles will shine through.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Remember, this was the 1960s. :) It was all sooooo innocent. I do look back on those days with joy.

I am sure Scarlett: such innocence and joy. I remember seeing Billy Fury, Del Shannon and one of our heroes the Big O (Roy Orbison) in the 60's. Wonderful days but perhaps my fondest memories are seeing Dr Hook and UB 40 with Maureen when it was obvious we were going to be much more than work colleagues (if you know what I mean).

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I still have the programme for The Mammoth Rock and Roll show held in the Odeon, Southend on sea in 1962. Marty Wilde, Joe Brown, Carl Denver and.others whose names escape me at the moment but top of the bill was Billy Fury. I did like him and still play his CDs. He died so young.

Joe Brown used to live near us before we moved here. His daughter went to the same secondary school as my daughters. Nice girl apparently.

When Billy Fury sang "Halfway to Paradise", I used to melt. :rolleyes: I had the utmost respect for Joe Brown and Marty Wilde, and their girl friends, who became their wives at a very young age. I believe Joe's wife died fairly young, but Marty's wife, who was a Vernons Girl, is the contact on his web site.

I emailed her after John and I last saw Marty, a few years ago, saying how much we enjoyed the show, and explained that John had AD, but could still sing along to all Marty's songs.

She took the trouble to reply with a lovely email, saying they heard this so much from their audiences, and it gave Marty a lot of pleasure to know that his singing brought back memories from well over 50 years ago, especially to his peers, who had lost so much of their memories.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
he took the trouble to reply with a lovely email, saying they heard this so much from their audiences, and it gave Marty a lot of pleasure to know that his singing brought back memories from well over 50 years ago, especially to his peers, who had lost so much of their memories.
That must have been so wonderful to receive. Yes, when you think of it, a lot of the wives of that time were very supportive, many of them giving up their own ambitions for their husbands and, no doubt being very understanding and forgiving too. Unlike those of later pop stars and those of today.

Halfway to Paradise - it really was!!!;) :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951