Goodbye Mum

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So the offer I made on the house was turned down & I would have been very pleasantly surprised if they had gone for it so I upped it the offer. I still think it is a very fair price both ways for a house that needs completely renovating. It seems the any offers have to be approved by a court? I have never heard of this but I think the sellers have to be realistic here so let’s hope this offer sways them!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I’m still waiting & the estate agent is more positive that it will be accepted. It has gone to the next stage for approval which should mean a positive outcome. As it is with solicitors then they think they can approve a certain offer but other than that, it goes off for approval which is why it takes so long.
I must admit to feeling a bit impatient in this process & so when a number of new houses came into the market on Thursday, I jumped at the chance to see one.
It was a good house but I would have to spend considerably more money on it to get it right as in a single storey extension/garden room
complete with a downstairs wc whereas the property I have offered on has this in place & we can join the house to the outhouse too which exists! So I wasn’t swayed.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
And so I am still waiting. The estate agent is doing their best to speed things along but she only has 1 point of contact at the solicitors & that 1 point of contact was off sick on Monday & I presume today too. I contacted the buyer of the bungalow & they are wanting to go for a completion date as early as early August. Mmmm we really need to start properly clearing out the bungalow now which means I will have to slacken off doing some events maybe as we really need to clear it & if we work most weekends between now & August then that does not give us a lot of time.

I do find doing our weekend events very demanding & often need 2 days to recover. It’s often set up time on the Friday afternoon/evening followed by an early start on Sat & Sunday & then a pack up on the Sunday & by then, I am puffed out!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
We were in Matlock this weekend & thankfully we were in a borrowed & pretty study gazebo. Even so the weather on Saturday was pretty appalling at times & windy & more than once, I was gripping onto the stall hoping it was going to hold. Luckily the weather on Sunday was one heck of a lot better apart from a big, squally shower right at the end. We took some decent money which if the Saturday had brought out more people would have been even better.

I’ve booked & paid for another weekend event at the end of this month but we could do a weekend event before that. I either have go buy a heavy duty gazebo or try & borrow one again. Or we push on with doing car boots & clearing out the bungalow. I’m only down for 1 event so far in July so it is finding more to do & it is so much easier if you do have a gazebo as a lot of summer events are outdoors.

In other news, we are actually going away on holiday at the end of September. Seeing as I have no completion date as yet & no acceptance on the house offer, I guess we have to push on & this holiday is very well needed indeed. I decided on Crete. I have been once before & I am going back to the same area again. It is very chilled & is in a group of villages above the lively town of Hersonissos. - these villages are well renowned for their excellent Cretan cuisine so of course being foodies, this makes me excited.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Thanks for the updates. I know Matlock quite well, and can imagine it in the rain. I'm glad you have got a holiday in the sun booked. Good luck with all the housing issues. Thinking of you. xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thanks for the updates. I know Matlock quite well, and can imagine it in the rain. I'm glad you have got a holiday in the sun booked. Good luck with all the housing issues. Thinking of you. xx

Thank you @Marcelle123 i think it is all going to happen at once!
So I got some more money from the executor from my mum’s accounts & have invested in a heavy duty pop up gazebo. I’ve just contacted the organiser to say that I will do the next event which was the most successful one last year.

I contacted the estate agent & they are now in touch with the next person up the chain at the solicitors & she has been promised a call back today. They asked her opinion about my offer & she fought my corner & basically said that I am
a cash buyer & my chain is complete & now my buyer is pushing for a quick completion date, in other words take the offer & accept it. The property has now also been cleared out so I am waiting to see it again - hopefully once my offer is accepted. Please keep your fingers, toes & everything else crossed for me xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Still no news. I know I have been very patient in all of this but it is really taking the proverbial now. Do they actually want to sell this house or not?!
And I have discovered something that might change all of this anyway. It’s good news but I don’t know how good just yet as I went to the bungalow yesterday & letters are still arriving there & one such letter arrived that I opened & it turns out that unknown to me, my mum had a life insurance policy that she had paid into from 1992. I’m a bit stunned actually. I know that my dad had had a life insurance policy but I didn’t know that my mum had one as well. I phoned up & their systems were down so they are calling people back today but this could be very important so I think i’ll give them a call now.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Still no news. I know I have been very patient in all of this but it is really taking the proverbial now. Do they actually want to sell this house or not?!
And I have discovered something that might change all of this anyway. It’s good news but I don’t know how good just yet as I went to the bungalow yesterday & letters are still arriving there & one such letter arrived that I opened & it turns out that unknown to me, my mum had a life insurance policy that she had paid into from 1992. I’m a bit stunned actually. I know that my dad had had a life insurance policy but I didn’t know that my mum had one as well. I phoned up & their systems were down so they are calling people back today but this could be very important so I think i’ll give them a call now.

Brilliant! I hope it is huge :D
Keep us posted on the house offer - fingers crossed for you. You absolutely deserve to have things going right for you now :)

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Brilliant! I hope it is huge :D
Keep us posted on the house offer - fingers crossed for you. You absolutely deserve to have things going right for you now :)

ah thank you @Jaded'n'faded I phoned up the life insurance company today but of course because I’m not the executor then they can’t tell me anything but they are sending the claim forms to the executor ASAP & I have asked him to get onto this straightaway but it doesn’t look like it will take long to process the claim.
I’m going to have to call the estate agent in the morning because I still haven’t heard back & I am getting a bit narky about this now. It’s been another week between me submitting my revised offer & still nothing. And it could all change of course depending on the insurance payout. I honestly never thought buying a house would be so stressful this time round!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So it is now Monday morning & we are still no further forward with anything. We had a quiet weekend this weekend as we are doing events for the next 2 weekends so i’m preparing for them. We were meant to do a car boot on the Sunday but as it has been so wet, we thought we might wait till the Thursday as they do it twice a week so we can do it then when hopefully it is more dry!
It’s not ideal as I fear we may be working flat out to clear out the bungalow in July but I am
only doing 2 events so far & may just stick to that.
I told the executor about the life insurance claim & that he needs to jump onto that ASAP because it could really affect me house wise but of course I have absolutely no clue about amounts. I’m happy with anything. It’s a very unexpected thing & I am beyond grateful. I might send him the online link to fill the form in.

At the moment, we are waiting for the grant of probate to come through which should be anytime this week. I think that might be slightly holding back the house selling process now.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Thanks for your update, @Kikki21.

Re waiting for the grant of probate - as it happens, the house we've made an offer for is waiting for the grant of probate before we can buy it. Our solicitor told us that the Probate Office is snowed under, with long delays, because the inheritance tax threshhold was changed in April so everyone who could rushed to get their probates processed before they were charged the new rate, which is very much more. This has apparently led to a bottle-neck, and we are starting to think that we must sell our house first and then rent while waiting till our vendors are legally allowed to sell the new house to us.

Rather offputting news, and I hope this will not affect you.

Hoping that things start to move for you soon, and sending best wishes & sympathy. Good luck with the coming Events. xx

Last edited:

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thanks for your update, @Kikki21.

Re waiting for the grant of probate - as it happens, the house we've made an offer for is waiting for the grant of probate before we can buy it. Our solicitor told us that the Probate Office is snowed under, with long delays, because the inheritance tax threshhold was changed in April so everyone who could rushed to get their probates processed before they were charged the new rate, which is very much more. This has apparently led to a bottle-neck, and we are starting to think that we must sell our house first and then rent while waiting till our vendors are legally allowed to sell the new house to us.

Rather offputting news, and I hope this will not affect you.

Hoping that things start to move for you soon, and sending best wishes & sympathy. Good luck with the coming Events. xx

Hi @Marcelle123 eek I hope you are not too delayed with the grant of probate with the house you want to buy!
Well hopefully our grant of probate won’t take long to sort out. The executor did it online & was notified that he would get a reply in 20 working days time & my mum’s estate is under the inheritance tax threshold anyway. There are various Probate offices around the country, not just the 1 so I am hoping neither of us are too held up. Certainly I know my buyer for the bungalow wants to be in for early August!

And about 40 mins after I updated my blog on here, I got a phone call from the estate agent saying that my offer has finally been accepted! Which is good news but may change if the insurance payout is a good amount & I think that I can buy a better house. I got the executor to fill in an online claim form today in an effort to speed things up but hopefully it should already be in the system as it takes 5 working days to acknowledge the claim & apparently they will send him a letter with the claim amount on it. I think it’s not great that he will know what it is before I do but there you go. As I said whatever the amount, I am super grateful. It’s not that I don’t like the house I have offered on, I clearly do well the potential of it but if I had more money then I may go for a better house that for example is semi detached with a conservatory & garage & yes I have seen one that fits that description. There’s little point in me seeing it if I don’t have that money because I would probably fall in love & really want it! Xx

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Hi Kikki21 hope all goes well for you ,you have been through so much in the last few months xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
That all sounds great, @Kikki21 - fingers crossed! xx

Mmm the house I saw that I liked has already gone. I did ring up to enquire about it but it was already on offer. So another one bites the dust house wise. The house opposite is still up for sale. I thought it had sold at auction but it hasn’t. It is going round again & although it isn’t perfect. It does tick a lot of boxes so maybe it is meant to be my house xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hi Kikki21 hope all goes well for you ,you have been through so much in the last few months xx

Thank you @lis66 sometimes my poor head is spinning. So not only do I have my mum’s bungalow to clear out. I have to liaise with the buyer, their surveyor, getting the back door mended there. There is a lady who is buying some items from there & we are trying to get a time together. That will help a great deal but there is still a lot to clear then there is storing things that I want to keep. Argh!

Then we have the mystery life insurance, me trying to buy a house etc, dealing with all that, doing my events & all I want to do is just go on holiday & properly relax! Xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Today is the day that the executor should hear back about the grant of probate. Or at least he can chase it. We need that to properly proceed with the bungalow sale of course. We have the buyers surveyors coming a week on Monday & the buyer still wants to be in by early August.
I’m slightly worried as we obviously need to clear it out by then & really do not know where I will put stuff that I want to keep as our rental home is busting at the seams. I think I will have to put some stuff in storage.

Luckily a friend of a friend is wanting a lot of white goods & other stuff as her daughter is moving into her first home & has nothing so that will sort some large items off. The rest I will put up for sale & charity shops etc.

And hopefully later today, the executor might get some info about this insurance claim as well. I can’t tell you how stressful this all is. It is stress in a good way but it is literally doing my head in. In the meantime, I have a weekend event to prepare for! Xx

Lorna44

Jul 16, 2016
Surrey
I applied for probate for my mum on the 7th of May, I hadn't received a response though they cashed the cheque quickly.
I emailed them a week ago and got an answer on Monday saying there was a huge back log and were currently working on probate applications from the week of the 18th of April and it would be another 2/3 weeks before they started on my week. So a huge delay for everyone. I just want to get my mum's Estate settled.