Goodbye Mum

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This funeral company did say they need money in advance but not all of it.

Ask the company for an invoice for the advanced down payment.
Get an executor to take it to the bank together with a copy of the death
certificate. Probably best to make an appointment.

The bank should either issue a cheque or pay the funds direct to the company if they have their bank details.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Ask the company for an invoice for the advanced down payment.
Get an executor to take it to the bank together with a copy of the death
certificate. Probably best to make an appointment.

The bank should either issue a cheque or pay the funds direct to the company if they have their bank details.

This will be sorted tomorrow thank you. I explained to the FD what is what so an invoice will be ready to pick up tomorrow so we can take that to the bank & it will be sorted.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I have had a busy morning.
I went to the FD’s to complete the paperwork, give them the outfit for my mum, discussed coffin, coffin interior colour & music for the service.
Decided on Ave Maria sung by Maria Callas for the arrival song - that will have me crying in seconds. My fiancé will sing Amazing Grace acapella ( he’s a professionally trained singer) & then the exit song I decided to be the Polish National anthem. It feels a very personal service with me doing the Eulogy as well.
It’s likely that I will do the order of service myself as just an A4 paper with all the info on it.

The FD will sort out an invoice so this can be collected tomorrow & so the payment for the funeral taken from the bank which will be a weight of my mind.
I also went to the florist & chose a floral tribute for my mum plus have asked for donations to be made to a local dementia society from the FD which considering my mum’s support of charities is very fitting.

I also visited 2 estate agents to do a valuation on the bungalow & the house can actually be put on the market while probate is going on which is really useful to know that it can be concurrent. Of course I explained that I am next of kin but not an executor & that as I am the one who is most local that I will instruct the executors as in who I want to use. I’m also going to get Internet estate agent valuations done. Both of them were happy to do the valuations on that basis considering that it is likely they get a double whammy as in a sale & then me buying a property.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I have had a busy morning.
I went to the FD’s to complete the paperwork, give them the outfit for my mum, discussed coffin, coffin interior colour & music for the service.
Decided on Ave Maria sung by Maria Callas for the arrival song - that will have me crying in seconds. My fiancé will sing Amazing Grace acapella ( he’s a professionally trained singer) & then the exit song I decided to be the Polish National anthem. It feels a very personal service with me doing the Eulogy as well.
It’s likely that I will do the order of service myself as just an A4 paper with all the info on it.

The FD will sort out an invoice so this can be collected tomorrow & so the payment for the funeral taken from the bank which will be a weight of my mind.
I also went to the florist & chose a floral tribute for my mum plus have asked for donations to be made to a local dementia society from the FD which considering my mum’s support of charities is very fitting.

I also visited 2 estate agents to do a valuation on the bungalow & the house can actually be put on the market while probate is going on which is really useful to know that it can be concurrent. Of course I explained that I am next of kin but not an executor & that as I am the one who is most local that I will instruct the executors as in who I want to use. I’m also going to get Internet estate agent valuations done. Both of them were happy to do the valuations on that basis considering that it is likely they get a double whammy as in a sale & then me buying a property.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
a sale & then me buying a property.

When you receive the proceeds of the sale you might as well get as much interest as you can, the first £1k/tax year is free of tax.

In your case the £85k FSCS limit will not apply, you have a £1million limit for 6 months
https://www.fscs.org.uk/your-claim/temporary-high-balances/ so you do't have to use multiple accounts.

You could put the proceeds in either an >>>easy access<<< or >>>notice<<< account as you feel appropriate, note easy access can be moved around if rates change.
Links are just an easy way of showing what is typically available DYOR on the best available.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Wow this is really turning into a soap opera now as my cousin K just rang me to say that she can’t do tomorrow as she is ill & then P rang her & explained it all so she has decided that she hasn’t got the time to be an executor so she is renouncing from it officially!

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Just catching up on how things are progressing, well done on your accomplishments and I am sorry K has decided to rescind executor duty, it is a lot to expect of a person especially who is not close to the deceased.

But it’s just further worry that you can well do without......

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Problems you don't need

Bank won't act unless executor (or administrator) is present.
Executor could take initial action and then drag feet - remember intermeddling.

If both executors renounced before doing anything then you applied and became administrator everything would be under your control.

This would incur a delay which could be short with cooperation of all concerned.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Problems you don't need

Bank won't act unless executor (or administrator) is present.
Executor could take initial action and then drag feet - remember intermeddling.

If both executors renounced before doing anything then you applied and became administrator everything would be under your control.

This would incur a delay which could be short with cooperation of all concerned.

The other executor seems to have no problem
with the role but he wants to engage a Polish/English firm of solicitors that he knows that are neither local to him or local to me. It seems that they have told him, they can do everything but i’m not sure that is correct.

Surely the executor has to go in person to the bank & sort out the money side of things? Also collect the will in person?

He has given me their details so I will give them a call in the morning. I know I can send them the FD invoice & wake invoice & they will pay it but it is all causing my head to spin.

Also although he will get mates rates then I don’t know how much it will all cost & then it doesn’t really mean that he is doing the donkey work either.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Just catching up on how things are progressing, well done on your accomplishments and I am sorry K has decided to rescind executor duty, it is a lot to expect of a person especially who is not close to the deceased.

But it’s just further worry that you can well do without......

Thank you, she clearly did not understand the time & effort it takes to me an executor & i’m glad she saw the light & decided she doesn’t want to do it. To me that is the right decision. It might cause a few headaches in the meantime but hopefully we will sort them.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hang fire on valuing the bungalow for sale for a bit- you need a probate valuation before you do anything else.

Again, unless you are an executor I dont think you can put the bungalow on the market anyway.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hang fire on valuing the bungalow for sale for a bit- you need a probate valuation before you do anything else.

Again, unless you are an executor I dont think you can put the bungalow on the market anyway.

One of the estate agents told me today that the 2 can run concurrently. That the bungalow can go on sale ahead of probate.
There is nothing to stop me getting valuations on the bungalow at all. I would then merely choose the one I want to deal with & ask the executor to put the bungalow on the market with that agent. I told the situation to both estate agents & neither of them had an issue with it all.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
There is no requirement for an executor to do the donkey work, they can, and many do, engage a solicitor to do this.

Which is fair enough but then can you argue that he, the executor, is doing the work when he stands to gain from the will but only if he executes the will by instructing someone else?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
One of the estate agents told me today that the 2 can run concurrently. That the bungalow can go on sale ahead of probate.
There is nothing to stop me getting valuations on the bungalow at all. I would then merely choose the one I want to deal with & ask the executor to put the bungalow on the market with that agent. I told the situation to both estate agents & neither of them had an issue with it all.
My FIL's house was put on the market whilst awaiting probate which had been applied for and both solicitor and estate agent told my OH executor provided the buyers are told that exchange cannot take place until the probate document was received and were agreeable if a delay was incurred ...that was normal process in those circumstances as usually the buyers are told it is a probate sale. As it happens probate came through within 5 weeks so well ahead of exchange.

Last edited:

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
My FIL's house was put on the market whilst awaiting probate which had been applied for and both solicitor and estate agent told my OH executor provided the buyers are told that exchange cannot take place until the probate document was received and were agreeable if a delay was incurred ...that was normal process in those circumstances as usually the buyers are told it is a probate sale. As it happens probate came through within 5 weeks so well ahead of exchange.

Thank you for that, yes timings are quite similar & effectively we are selling with no chain process as I can keep the proceeds in an account as per Nitram until I have a house I want to buy.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Which is fair enough but then can you argue that he, the executor, is doing the work when he stands to gain from the will but only if he executes the will by instructing someone else?

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Whether an executor is a beneficiary of a will or not they can get a solicitor to do most of the work. The solicitors costs are paid out of the estate. If the will states that they get say £1000 for acting as executor and they get a solicitor to do most of the work, yes, that seems a bit against the grain but that is how it works.

Solicitors have special bank accounts which are 'client' accounts so they don't have to open a bank account in the name of the estate which an executor would have to do so some things are simpler and quicker. (These accounts are regulated by the law society and audited by independent auditors annually).

A solicitor also knows how things work so it might well speed the process up rather then an executor who isn't sure what he is doing.

Given P is the appointed executor you do need to work with him - and if he gets a solicitor to do the majority of the work - you need to come to amicable arrangements on things, as it is the executors duty to arrange valuations for both probate and sale, and dispose of the contents of the property as they see fit, so you want to stay on good terms if you want to be involved in the process.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Sorry to read of all the problems. Thinking of you, and hoping that things will soon be sorted out for the best. Love, Marcelle xx
PS - The funeral service you've arranged sounds beautiful.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I don't understand what you are saying here.

Whether an executor is a beneficiary of a will or not they can get a solicitor to do most of the work. The solicitors costs are paid out of the estate. If the will states that they get say £1000 for acting as executor and they get a solicitor to do most of the work, yes, that seems a bit against the grain but that is how it works.

Solicitors have special bank accounts which are 'client' accounts so they don't have to open a bank account in the name of the estate which an executor would have to do so some things are simpler and quicker. (These accounts are regulated by the law society and audited by independent auditors annually).

A solicitor also knows how things work so it might well speed the process up rather then an executor who isn't sure what he is doing.

Given P is the appointed executor you do need to work with him - and if he gets a solicitor to do the majority of the work - you need to come to amicable arrangements on things, as it is the executors duty to arrange valuations for both probate and sale, and dispose of the contents of the property as they see fit, so you want to stay on good terms if you want to be involved in the process.

I get what you are saying & P is working with me so that is good but I guess it is because I have sight of the copy of the will so I know what is in it & I know that it is not horrendous to administrate. I would be confident of doing it myself but i’m not executor. I do have free legal advice from Coop Funeral Care so I am going to exercise my right in using this because I need to know how my cousin K needs to officially resign from the position of executor as well as seeing if I can apply to be executor as well.