Goodbye and Hello

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Belated birthday greetings to your Mum. So pleased that she had a nice afternoon tea and was also spoilt at the club. Cake is always good. Fantastic news that her leg is healing too.
I am also pleased to hear that you got to spent time with hubby and girls without having to worry about your Mum. It certainly sounds like this Carer is working well for you. Hurrah.
I think your hubby is right though you have a lot of ‘other’ thinks to do and we all get ‘sucked’ into the routine of life. You do sound more relaxed so maybe that will inspire you for activities with your Mum.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
We have had a good few day’s , mums birthday was last week and we had an afternoon tea with her friends and her carer came along too , the next day her club had decorated the hall with banners and balloons and I took a cake in and she had a thoroughly great day , came home for Steak & Chips and more cake ! She had a relaxing couple of days after and today carer came and had mum for 4 hours on her own while we all went out for a walk along the beach , was really nice to spend some time together just us and girls and not have to worry about mum . T sent me a video of them batting a balloon to each other and walking round the garden . she comes in and gets mum motivated and moving around far more than I do , feeling a little like I’m not doing enough with mum but my lovely husband says she is paid to purely entertain mum not look after girls , do housework, wash clean and do everything else , maybe he is right but I’m planning on trying to do more fun things with her . Her leg seems good and the scab is lifting at the edges so hoping she will leave it to come off in its own time . All in all everything is plodding along fine at the moment so am feeling thankful and enjoying it .
That’s good to hear?

Pepp3r

May 22, 2020
Hi @Woo2
I'm quite new to the forum and have been reading this post, it is so lovely to hear the positive story about your mum and her carer. There are some people who just manage to connect with others and it's great when that happens. And to still have balloons and cake on her birthday.....sounds good to me! Take care.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
So glad to hear you got out for a beach walk with hubby and daughters and your mum was also having a good time with carer. I think sometimes they try more things with others than us. Also you have all sorts of other things to do and worry about besides. You do a fab job and you do lots with and for your mum. Carer may have new ideas you can do too, I do think it is hard to think up things to do sometimes and also persuade our PWDs to try them whereas they will sometimes try for others and realise enjoy them.
x

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thank you all :) I am always hesitant to write down the good times as I am aware I am lucky and people have it so much worse . I think maybe it is a teacher thing @Starting on a journey, she is very organised , comes in and gets going straight away , she is absolutely smashing and I’m tiptoeing carefully as I really want to keep her , she has agreed to stay for a night with mum & girls in a few weeks. I will take mum out and about it’s just we got in to the whole shielding thing and I’m kind of reluctant to go anywhere , once the schools are back we will def go out and do more. Had a lovely walk , it was quite busy so were keeping a distance , the pooch had a swim and was happy too ?. Hope you have a lovely relaxing couple of nights away @Starting on a journey. Thank you @Pepp3r, she is so kind and my daughters and I took to her instantly , just hope she stays.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
You are spot on @annielou , if I ask mum is she wants to stroll around the garden she blanks me , T asks her and she jumps up out the chair and away she goes , guessing it’s quite normal just a tad frustrating .its good to see you here , have missed you , hope you are doing ok ? X

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
‘Mary Poppins’ sounds the sort of carer everyone should have ☺️ and it’s great that she’s giving you the chance to spend time with family without worrying.
Don’t be hesitant about telling us about the good times @Woo2, we need a bit of light.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thank you @Just me :) . I told her today via text while we were out that she is heaven sent. She def is like Mary Poppins , I told her about here and she said she should have a read and try to learn more about Dementia but I think she is doing fine by intuition .

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I honestly think it’s teaching. My girls who are teachers take it all in their stride. I have even heard no 2 tell mum off in her teacher voice....mum listened and realised she’d stepped over the line.
I am hoping that this lady will continue to make life easier for you

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thank you , you are probably right , whatever it is I am a happy bunny and lucky to have found her , she was taking another job and it fell through and she came to us , she strongly believes things happen for a reason and that she was meant to work with us , she says it gives her huge satisfaction to be able to help us have family time. Anyway I better stop waxing lyrical . Have a fab couple of days away .

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've been away and just catching up.

So pleased to hear you have had some family time, and your mum is so happy with the carer.

Please don't beat yourself up about not doing fun things with mum, she is resistant to you doing them so you are enabling it by having the carer.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
A great way of seeing it , and putting a positive spin on it , thanks @jugglingmum , much appreciated . Hope you had a nice time away and the pooch training is still going well .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
How has your week been? Is Day Care still working well for your Mum. Is ‘Mary Poppins’ a constant day as well..
Does this mean you have managed to get out dog walking again and have a bit of @Woo2 time?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi , DC is fine touchwood , Mary is great , she has had mum in on her own twice now , see her next week now . I had started taking pooch out but she hurt her leg so has been resting . Thank you , hope things ok with you , and back is better , OH ok and mum as settled as can be . ?

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @Woo2 , that's good that things are going ok with DC and your mum's new carer is working out well. It's great to have that relief so you can enjoy some "me time", knowing all is well with your mum.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
It’s been an ok week I think ? nothing major , haven’t been very successful on the shower front so been spraying Mum with perfume . Did get her in there Tues but it was fraught to to start with so I played silly games to lighten things up . She went off to her room wed in a complete strop and ignored me so I left her to it that time and made a lasagne instead . Happy but tired yesterday , bathroom has been a bit hit n miss this week. Last night she got up 14 times between midnight and 1.30am poor hubby dealt with it as I was snoring apparently, she wakes up then can’t find toilet so goes back to her room , then goes back down hall to find toilet and back to her room and repeats until someone shows her the way. I did think about pull ups overnight briefly but that prob won’t help. No Mary poppins this week so far ,i had forgotten to book her in but she is coming tom or Sunday .

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Some weeks can be a bit up and down , but overall if your mum has had a shower I'd count that as a positive.
Very wearing when someone is constantly at the toilet, I don't think there's an easy answer to that one, you could try arrows pointing the way, could do with "glow in the dark " ones !! Think that's an attempt at humour?
I hope you have something nice planned for when Mary Poppins is with your mum.