Goodbye and Hello

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Woo2, annoying about second day at day care. Can you put your mum down for the Friday for when a space comes up, though it sounds that maybe one day is enough for her at present. The carer sounds good, but it might be worth checking out the other one as well just to confirm you've made the right choice.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thanks @Sarasa , Good valid points .I did think that but the carer will need regular hours so I thought I may as well use that day for her , though I am not ruling anything out and keeping my options open as I’m sure things will change . I did wonder wether I should go and meet other lady , shall message her and see if she can change days , it’s just she didn’t see very easy to make a date with and the time /day of her choosing doesn’t suit me at all .

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
@Woo2 I wonder if the other lady has other clients/responsibilities and has limited time’s available whereas the first one might be supplementing an occupational pension and want maybe one good customer?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Yes I think you are absolutely spot on @Starting on a journey , she fits our needs perfectly as she has few ties and is so flexible , we want to be very fair and keep her happy and with us :) She will be a great help I’m sure .

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I have looked at a site that you recommended and find that the average price is significantly less than I was quoted. I think the difference is that the expensive agency will always provide someone whilst an individual carer could be ill and cancel. However I would only need someone for a break so cancelling wouldn’t be the end of the world!! I shall wait til the world becomes a bit more normal and if I can’t leave mum I know where to go. My daughter gets married next year so we will certainly need carers in place by March to be ready for a summer wedding.
I do feel that now is the time to shake off my widows weeds (it’s been two years) and get out and see more than the odd crafting class!!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I agree , time for you to take some time out for yourself and do something you enjoy . I too have a wedding next year and need to get someone arranged , an agency wanted 3 people to cover the day and evening where as this lady is happy to do the day and stay the night for me . I too am not worried about cancellations due to illness etc , we are going to plan our diaries together but either side will be flexible unless we have things booked . I hope you find someone suitable . Does your mum go to a day centre ?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
No, my mum is , the only way I can describe it “high functioning “. It is her understanding rather than memory, although that has its moments.
For example mum remembered my friends grandsons whom she saw last year, yet walked past my son who was knocking on the front door. She said she saw someone there but I realised that it didn’t connect to open the door!
She gets very tired, has health problems and when I looked around a day care place I could not see her in it at all. So at the moment it’s no to daycare?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Mum sounds similar , I and an independent psychiatrist think she has ftd . Everyone who knows mum said I would never get her there , dad was scared to even try , but wrapped up packaged in a different way she went and she really likes it (well a Monday anyway) is it not worth a taster session just to see ? Ultimately you know better than anyone but I was so surprised at just how well mum took to it .

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I have looked at a site that you recommended and find that the average price is significantly less than I was quoted. I think the difference is that the expensive agency will always provide someone whilst an individual carer could be ill and cancel. However I would only need someone for a break so cancelling wouldn’t be the end of the world!! I shall wait til the world becomes a bit more normal and if I can’t leave mum I know where to go. My daughter gets married next year so we will certainly need carers in place by March to be ready for a summer wedding.
I do feel that now is the time to shake off my widows weeds (it’s been two years) and get out and see more than the odd crafting class!!

I only nip in and out when time allows and missed details if the site you refer to @Starting on a journey. Would you mind reposting it please?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I don’t think I would have signed a contract like the original one either.
did you say you had cancelled seeing second Carer?
I suppose you can see how this first one will work out, which will give you a little time and then make a decision later if you want another second Carer in as well.
Well done @annielou at getting your Mum to agree to go to Day Care again

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I did cancel the meeting yes , told her I will arrange it for a later date , I just had a gut feeling and I don’t normally listen to it but did this time . Didn’t @annielou do amazing :) . How did OH get on today ? I find MRI noisy and a little uncomfortable , hope he was ok .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I did cancel the meeting yes , told her I will arrange it for a later date , I just had a gut feeling and I don’t normally listen to it but did this time . Didn’t @annielou do amazing :) . How did OH get on today ? I find MRI noisy and a little uncomfortable , hope he was ok .
Yes @annielou did well.
OH didn’t mention that - he just said he wanted some breakfast!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Well that’s good , he is braver than me then. Was in there an hour (as they couldn’t get the right picture apparently) with my arm outstretched in front of me , they had told me not to move so I was holding my breathe, after a short while he said quite harshly breathe but don’t move ! :oops: It was only a lump on my hand so nothing major .

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Woo2
I hope you get settled with your new carer. She sounds ideal, and will give you the flexibility for covering special events as well as a regular break.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Been an ok few days , Dc was problem free Mon as usual . Last week noticed mum had a small amount of blood on her leg, cleaned it up and thought no more of it , Mon afternoon it had a blood blister on it , mum went in bathroom and picked it off :rolleyes: , blood all over the place . We cleaned it up and put a bandage on it to stop mum fiddling with it .

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thanks @Sarasa , she is due to start next weds ? I so hope it works out . Mum is completely dependent on me , I facilitated this I know , now I have learnt a little I hope to be able to get her used to others .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Glad monday went ok at DC with nice staff, shame about the other day, but hopefully carer will work out better.?? Hope your mums leg heals soon with no more picking ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo